Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:37 PM   #11

The 16-45 is my only DA lens, and the only zoom I use on a regular basis. I got it with my DS five years ago.
It's my widest lens and one of my most used. It is very good optically, sharp, contrasty and good in colour rendering. But I don't like it!
Maybe it's because of my initial dissapointment, when I first held this premium lens in my hand. All plastic, rattely, inner lens barrel wobbling a mm or more. Big and bulky. All my older lenses are all metal and precision crafted.
And so here I am with my most used lens which I don't like! Maybe it'll get less use now when I have the FA 20mm.
Accordingly, I'd recommend it (no, mine is not for sale!)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
The 16-45 is my only DA lens, and the only zoom I use on a regular basis. I got it with my DS five years ago.
It's my widest lens and one of my most used. It is very good optically, sharp, contrasty and good in colour rendering. But I don't like it!
Maybe it's because of my initial dissapointment, when I first held this premium lens in my hand. All plastic, rattely, inner lens barrel wobbling a mm or more. Big and bulky. All my older lenses are all metal and precision crafted.
And so here I am with my most used lens which I don't like! Maybe it'll get less use now when I have the FA 20mm.
Accordingly, I'd recommend it (no, mine is not for sale!)

Kjell
Okay, I won't ask.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:45 AM   #13

Have found the DA 16-45 a fine lens for landscape photos - good color & sharpness...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:00 PM   #14

Like most others, I also like the 16-45 very much. It is my regular "walking around" lens, and I'm very happy with it. Two things to be aware of, though: 1) it isn't weather sealed. I'm glad my K20 body is sealed, but I still have to be careful in foul weather, since this lens (and all my other lenses) are not weather sealed. 2) as others have mentioned, it's quite bulky, and as a result whenever I use the built-in flash on my K20D, it casts a shadow. This creates a dark area at the bottom of the frame. Im sure this would be remedied with an external flash mounted on the hot shoe, but I don't often carry that with me. This lens also cast a shadow when I used the built-in flash on My K100D, and I suspect that would also be the case with your K10.

I know nothing about the 50-200 WR. I'm sure it's a fine lens, but never having used one, I can't offer any insights.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:42 PM   #15

Joining the string late, as usual. I also have the 16-45... having bought it on close out from Willoughby's in New York last Christmas. $300 new with warranty. I bought it even though I already had the DA* 16-50 because of all the reports I was reading about SDM problems. Thankfully, my DA* hasn't given me any problems so far but I wanted to make sure that if it did act up, I would still have the focal range covered with a lens that was a step up from the kit lens.

The short version: The 16-45 is very sharp throughout most of its range - with just a touch of softness at 45mm. Distortion is very low and color and contrast are excellent. It's a fairly large lens, given it's zoom range. And also remember that its barrel extends when used at the lens's widest settings, not vice versa. Not an issue for me, however. The 16-45 isn't weather sealed but, like a lot of cameras that aren't rated for cold temperatures, it works fine below the freezing point here in New Jersey.

But, of course, Ira is in northern Canada and I'm not sure just how cold it can get with the lens still working flawlessly. And I have some doubts about flashless photography at f/4 in low light. But perhaps a tripod would solve that. Nonetheless, Ira has other f/4 lenses and if they work well in such conditions, there's no reason to think the 16-45 won't.

Last edited by Biro; Oct 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote