Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Default one surfer story

I'm going to split my Oceanside pictures up into different threads, I was really pleased with just about all of them (a high keeper rate) and will have a tough time over the next while trying to decide which to post, without boring you all. I made a point of being out in the early morning and evening, trying to capture that golden hour.

I thought this guy deserved his own thread. I didn't follow him or anything, it just happened that I saw him paddling out when I first got to the beach early in the morning, then (after wandering around and shooting lots of other surfers and beach photos) I just happened to catch him leaving.

I couldn't tell you why, but this picture really "speaks" to me.

Same guy getting ready to leave:

Last edited by mtngal; Sep 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

A testament to the human spirit...nice story and well captured images!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:19 PM   #3

Very nice. I like the top one best.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:50 PM   #4

Good job, Harriet!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:46 PM   #5

Nice pair of photos Harriet. I especially like the composition of the first, with the surfer far to the left, and the vast wide ocean filling the rest of the frame.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6

Default Oceanside

Those are very nice pictures. You make me miss that place. Our son lived there when he was stationed at Camp Pendelton for 3 1/2 years. We visited him several times. He never got to spend a summer in California though. The first summer he was sent to public affairs school at Fort Mead in Maryland. The next two summers he was deployed in Iraq. How about some pictures of the people fishing by Ruby's on the pier? I love the little Chinese ladies fishing there in their straw hats.
TommyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:43 PM   #7

Tommy - I posted some pictures of the pier and Ruby's in another thread. I didn't take any pictures of those fishing from it this time. I spent more time further north by the jetty. We did have dinner at Ruby's, good food and great milk shakes! And I took lots of area pictures from the pier but haven't posted any of them. They were having a smooth jazz festival the night we were there - it was very cool to listen to the music wafting along the beach from the outdoor theater (which looked packed) next to the pier.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:04 AM   #8

That first shot is really super, composition, color, subject, use of negative space, everything.
The second is great but can't follow nr 1.

Great work

Ronny
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:20 PM   #9

Good captures. Which lens did you use?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:03 PM   #10

Thanks for the compliments.

Tullio - I shot these with the DA*300, a lens that all last week thought I was going to have to sell. I found out the hard way that carrying a heavy camera bag on a 4 mile hike when you have a partial tear of the rotator cuff doesn't work very well (didn't know about the tear until Monday). The only reason I have the big bag (Kata 3N1-30) is so I can carry the lens I was using here - it's over 7 inches long and won't fit in the Lowepro 200 bag. It's a brilliant lens, just incredibly sharp as all of the surfing pictures I posted in another thread show and the only reason I was thinking of selling it was due to the pain I had all last week.

Then I watched this surfer for a while. I thought his way of carrying his board absolutely brilliant, very innovative. And if he could manage to figure out a way to continue surfing, dispite his physical limitation, I could figure out a way to deal with a little pain in order to keep shooting with this lens, which I love so much.