Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:29 PM   #1

Default What about the new K-5 ?

Did anybody see sample pictures taken with this camera ?
All impressions are welcome.

Last edited by dam59; Sep 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM.
dam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:04 PM   #2

been samples appear here and there - generally the impression is very good with the camera showing iso noise performance that is on par with the full frame nikon d700 and with dynamic range to match having some of the best of any camera ever tested

IQ i think with this camera should be outstanding and i think it will tempt me to upgrade dispite only having my k7 for just a year
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:25 PM   #3

I've seen some pictures taken with the pre-production firmware. It looks quite good. It'll be interesting to see what the production cameras are capable. Initial tests indicate that the dynamic range could be better than just about any other APS-C camera. Noise looks very good, too. Some think it will be better than the Kx/Kr, but I'm reserving judgment on that for now, along with the dynamic range indication - will all that capability translate into practical use? Lots of great features, a few I'd really use. I'm seriously thinking of buying one of the new cameras because I'd really like the better noise control. Just am not totally convinced that the K-5 is the way I'll go, I might possibly try to pick up a close-out Kx or something, the initial price of the K-5 is too rich for my blood right now (not after having to buy 2 new tires, and a car battery).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:39 PM   #4

I'm anxiously awaiting a detailed test of the new K5. It seems to be quite an exciting camera.

Purchase ? Like others I'll have to wait for awhile. I've still got my trusty old K10D and newer KM....hope they continue to function as well as they do.

Hard for me to convince myself that I need a new camera body, when my old stalwarts still keep clicking along.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Hard for me to convince myself that I need a new camera body, when my old stalwarts still keep clicking along.
of course you dont 'need' it the real question is do you 'WANT' it?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:46 PM   #6

I really want one, but like Harriet, I will probably go for a KX or KR since they give me better high ISO performance at a lower price point. The KR seems to be a very useful upgrade from the KX so that is the direction I will probably follow, but... if I can swing it...
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
of course you dont 'need' it the real question is do you 'WANT' it?
So true....my life has been a series of acquiring things I don't 'need'...but want.

That philosophy of choosing want, over need has made for a happy life.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:01 AM   #8

I've been following rather hard what is being said about the K-5.
The best set of images I found are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/fs999/5022386143/
For me two things jump out ,
  • the low high iso noise, coming from the sony exmor sensor.
  • the new autofocus engine.
The quickest update on what's happening with Pentax is the blog of RiceHigh http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/

There is one important thing you've got to understand about RiceHigh.
Every time something new appears he is super enthusiastic till he gets his hands on it... then it can only go downhill.
Most of his remarks have a (small) part of truth in them but you really have to be very careful with them.
He is primary focused on Pentax (bashing ) but lately he's more fair and has included Sony and Canon.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:20 PM   #9

My K20 is still working fine, but I can't deny that the K5 makes me drool. But with 2 kids in college, I don't think I'll be acquiring a new body any time soon. Of course I can always dream......
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:28 AM   #10

I have to admit I also want this camera over the KX or KR. My dilemma is my pictures with my K10 don't justify it. It is like a driver buying a sports car and never going over 50 in it. I still may convince myself since I was sooooo close to buying the k7 just because.
Like many though I have kids, mortgagee, expenses like food that get in the way and if I am honest with myself my pictures have not warranted (read here making money with) this kinda step up.

life is full of choices ain't it?
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote