Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Doohhhh!

OK so its a nice day today and i was able to get away - so i grab my camera and my da 12-24mm and my new da*60-250mm and head off to my favourite local beauty spot

i clamber up through the woods and down to the river swollen by heavy rains find a nice spot on the bank of the river with nice pebble beach with large bolders etc and the river rapids in teh background and the steep bank and forest behind

i setup my tripod for a nice low angle shot attach my camera frame up my shot, using liveview since so low to the ground set the aperture and adjust the exposure comp with the aid of the histogram (damn that makes getting things right nice and easy never thought of using ti before since i dont use liveview much)

i set focus about half way into the scene and set the exposure mode to the self timer mode since i didn't remember to bring a cable release

i press the button and..........

NO CARD IN CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!! DOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:08 PM   #2

You are not the only one to have done that! It is a good argument for using a battery/vertical grip as there is a space for carrying a back up card.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:16 PM   #3

Been there, done that, now I check each time I leave the house to make sure!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:55 PM   #4

Yep, same here.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:15 PM   #5

So then you reach into your camera bag for the bag-up memory card which you always keep there next to your back-up battery and other lenses you may need and........
diverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:32 PM   #6

I still have a problem wondering how people find it easier/something to take the card out of the camera and insert it into a card reader rather than just plugging a usb cable into the camera. I can see if you've shot more than 1 card's worth and want to have your #1 card back in the camera ready for the next shoot. But most people aren't shooting that many pictures in one outing.

Cameras with 2 card slots are nice. You always have a backup card ready.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:37 PM   #7

Fortunately that hasn't happened to me (yet). When I download my images from the card to the computer, I take the card out of the camera, set the camera next to the computer, download, return the card to the camera and format it ready to go for next time. Hopefully I will always have a card ready and in the camera. Also have a spare in the camera bag.

Regards

Last edited by bluenose; Sep 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:51 PM   #8

Yup, done that - recently as a matter of fact. Normally it's not a problem because I normally have a camera bag with the back-up cards in it. But the time I did it recently I didn't have a camera bag with me, just the camera and the lens that was mounted. I was NOT happy, to have to walk the half mile back to where I was staying and missed the light I had wanted to capture completely!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:57 PM   #9

Done it, still do it,

what to forget ...
a: the flash card
b: take a flash card with you thats full with images that you haven't downloaded yet
c: forgot to take a loaded battery
d: forgot to take a battery with me (still recharging, and changed camera bag so ... no battery in body)
e: took flash without battery in it.
f: took remote triggers for the flash without the flash
g: ...

I'm stopping with writing this because I start to feel real dumb.

The flash card and battery is getting better now because I always take picture of "whatever" before leaving the house.

Better luck next time

Ronny

Last edited by rhermans; Sep 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:07 PM   #10

reason i take the card out of the camera is speed - 16gb card through the camera takes ages to download - from the card reader it is MUCH faster

and i usually do have spare cards but i took small camera bag for portibility and spare cards are in my main bag had my spare battery though for all the good that is without a memory card
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote