Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Default My first visit to Fenway Park

Last week I attended a work-related conference in Boston. I've been to this fine city many times, and I've been a Red Sox fan for many years but until last week, I had never been to Fenway park to see a Red Sox game. My son is a college student in the Boston area, ans we got together to see two games – one on Sunday afternoon, and another on Monday evening. What a treat – after many years of seeing this ball park on TV, seeing it in person was very special. We sat far back in the right field grandstand so, with the exception of a fly ball to right field, we were a long distance from the action. All these shots were taken with the K20D and the Sigma 70-300 APO DG. Even with my long lens, I still had to crop and enlarge the pics in order to get usable images.. In my view, the photos are okay at best, but they preserved some memories of a great time.

1. Pitcher Hideki Okajima winds up, as shortstop Marco Scutaro prepares for a ground ball.
  2. David Ortiz, known to all Red Sox fans as “Big Papi”, watches hopefully. It turned out to be a foul ball.
  3. Ever wonder how the infield stays in such good condition, despite people running all over with cleats? Turns out it's because the ground crew works frenetically to smooth the running surface between innings.
  4. The famous red seat. On June 9, 1946 Ted Williams hit the longest measurable home run ever recorded at Fenway Park: 502 feet. The seat where the ball landed was painted red to mark the spot. (Today the seats are molded plastic.) That was before the days of performance-enhancing drugs! No doubt the wind helped the ball go farther, but it's amazing how far back into the stands that seat is.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:55 PM   #2

very nice series, under circumstances you did a real nice job; for being so far off, I can even clearly see the faces of each audience member, very nice compositions.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3

Absolutely! Considering the limitations of the lens and where you were sitting, these are really good.

There is nothing like a major league baseball park. I have been a Cardinal fan my entire adult life and can remember just about every minute of every game I attended in the now demolished Busch Stadium II. I really like the red seat shot, as much for the emptiness of the bleachers as anything else.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I now realize that -- of course -- the red seat shot was not taken with the Sigma 70-300. That was with the DA 16-45. Paul, when the game was over, hundreds of people crowded around to take pictures of each other sitting next to the red seat. We had to wait a very long time for the area to get so close to empty. My son, who doesn't share my enthusiasm for photography, waited very patiently.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:43 PM   #5

did u PP the man in the corner red in that shot or was that some wierd glow from stadium lighting ?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:58 AM   #6

Thanks for bringing us a glimpse of the action! Very nice color & composition on all of these!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:45 AM   #7

Great series! These are great shots of this old gal of a ballpark.

About 4 years ago my wife and I were given tickets to the bleachers in center field just above the bullpen. I know what you were dealing with for those distant shots and you did a remarkable job.

Nice story about the red seat, I had never seen or heard of it before. There are many stories associated with Ted Williams ("The Splendid Splinter"). One was that before one game he and Tom Yawkee (owner) sat in the visitors' dugout and shot pigeons off his beloved left field wall in order to stop them from congregating and messing it up

As a kid my friends' father was a Sports reporter for the long defunct Boston Post. He would occasionally take us to the Red Sox games and we would sit in the press box above home plate.

Great series thanks for sharing these fine shots.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:59 AM   #8

There is something about the old, classic ballparks. Fenway and Wrigley Field are great venues for watching ball games, even if I have only been there through television broadcasts.

It's too bad the Red Sox had so many players on the DL this year or they would have given Tampa Bay and those da*n Yankees a run for their money.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:36 PM   #9

NMR, you have a very good eye! Looks like I made a mistake in the pp that I didn't even notice until you asked about the guy's red shirt. I intended to select only the red seat, and I increased the red saturation , to make the red seat stand out a bit more than in the original image. Of course, I zoomed in on the seat whaile i did that. When I then viewed the whole image, I was so focused on how the red seat contracts with all the other seats, I didn't notice that I had (unintentioally) boosted the satuaration of all the reds in the image.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:33 PM   #10

Hey Ted,
Nice job! I can imagine the feeling you had going to the game.
I've only been to a game once at Dodger stadium. I t was quite a feeling.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote