Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:07 PM   #1

Default more squirrels and birds with new lens

finally the rain stopped today, I went back to the same tree and checked out the young squirrels. I noticed today one looks exceptionally young. I did find a carcass (unknown, but squirrel side) so I fear they are truly all alone now. It's quite sad, but we'll have to see how time plays out.

For now enjoy the adorable pics taken at 600mm with the tamron 300 sp 2.8 on my K *ist and tamron 2x sp teleconverter.

well thats what I got in about thirty minutes I had after work before sundown, I look forward to using the lens more. Just need to find some time to myself.

Hope you enjoy
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:14 PM   #2

looks like a sharp combination - i have a 2x kenko teleconverter i got ages ago (pre digital age) - always felt it was abit suspect when it came to sharpness though
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:20 PM   #3

thanks for comments, I agree with 2X teleconverters. I REALLY want the pentax afa 1.7 but its a lot of money, but I feel it'll perform even better. Nonetheless, this lens is super sharp and with the 2xTC its still better than I expected. Im quite happy.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:50 PM   #4

Your squirrel pics are adorable! I had fun watching a mom and her three kids over the summer. Some of the things they did were hysterical. The tree their nest was in was knocked down in a storm this summer, but they all made it and built a new home in another tree.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:13 PM   #5

Yes, I'm impressed with the sharpness. I must have a really crappy version of the Tamron 2x. Not that it matters since I use it as an extension tube is all. It's a little soft on the feather detail but the fur seems quite good. I'd say it's quite usable. How is it at 300mm? And do you have the 1.4? I would think that at 420mm it'd be about perfect. 300mm is a bit short for my tastes.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:29 PM   #6

no i wish I had the pentax 1.4, im trying to decide between getting the 1.4 next or saving for afa 1.7, your opinion?

Its extremely sharp at 300mm, the TC just made that line of passable, it took a lil smart sharpen (pp) in some to help it out but Its definitely usable in my book,
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
no i wish I had the pentax 1.4, im trying to decide between getting the 1.4 next or saving for afa 1.7, your opinion?

Its extremely sharp at 300mm, the TC just made that line of passable, it took a lil smart sharpen (pp) in some to help it out but Its definitely usable in my book,
If you're fine with manual focus I'd go for a 1.4x. You could try the 140F Tamron, that was what the 300/2.8 was originally sold with but I get better shots out of my 80-200/2.8 coupled with my Kenko 1.5 than I do the Tamron. A Pentax one should be even better. You could use the savings for another lens. If money were no object the AFA would be my choice but having sprung for the lens I imagine it is for you now.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:31 PM   #8

Those baby squirrels are darling! They look like they are doing pretty well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:04 PM   #9

Great pics of the cute critters. Ive heard that most 2X converters degrade the image quality pretty badly. I'm amazed at how sharp the images are -- you must have a very good copy!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:30 AM   #10

Great photos!
I have 2 of the SP2X converters, and a Vivitar 2X macro focusing tele-converter.
that I get surprising results from. In some combination, I get better results with the Vivitar than I do with the Tamron SP.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote