Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:27 PM   #1

Default K20d high iso & Square Dance

A few weeks ago I went to a square dance jamboree (Fall Round Up) in Gelsenkirchen Germany.
as a sidenote: I've been square dancing for 28 years now, been calling (teaching/leading dances) for 25years.
There were about 1840 dancers from anywhere.

All pictures where taken with a k20d, tamron 18-200 lens.
Click any picture for a slightly larger version or the full size for one with max width 3000px.

This is a combination of 2 pictures
both at iso2200, the first 1/30s and f5.6 78mm (to get the callers/danceleaders sharp)(top),
the second I changed the shutterspeed to 0.3s (having the effect of closing the lens to an f19)(bottom)
to have a lot more blur in the dancers movements, I did keep the iso because I wanted to have the same noiselevel in both shots.

full size

A panoramic view of the main dancehall,
3pictures at iso3200, 1/90s, f3.5 , 18mm
(1/90s is the shuttertime where I get low enough motion blur of the dancers)

full size

Me and my wife (my daughter took this picture)
iso6400, 1/90s, f6.3 , 200mm
(the camera was set in shutter priority 1/90s, auto iso up to 6400)

full size

I normally don't post this images except on the square dance blog of my club,
but this illustrates how good the k20d already is, and how I would love better and higher iso's.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:49 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great pictures Ronny. Love the contrast of the caller(s) who are still and the dancers who are in motion in #1.

I did not realize that Square Dancing was popular in Europe...looks like quite a crowd.

By the way, I'm curious: how are the calls made in Belgium. For instance, how do you say "Allemende Left" and "Do-Sa-Do"?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:58 PM   #3

Excellent high ISO series. Very creative number 1. Kudos to the K20 and the photographer.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Great pictures Ronny. Love the contrast of the caller(s) who are still and the dancers who are in motion in #1.

I did not realize that Square Dancing was popular in Europe...looks like quite a crowd.

By the way, I'm curious: how are the calls made in Belgium. For instance, how do you say "Allemende Left" and "Do-Sa-Do"?

Jehan
Thanks Jehan,

About the same as anywhere in the world, so long as the callers don't start explaining something in their own language it's all standard.

The other way around is a bit more difficult, an example of this was a few weeks back when I was trying to get a group of people (on a folkdance festival) to dance who spoke only a small bit of English, and I had to explain the movements in German, French, Dutch, and English (they asked also for Italian - people from Switserland, but then I was that confused that I just gave up and only went for English.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:18 PM   #5

Ronny, I agree with the previous comments -- I love how the dancers are blured and the callers are all still in your first photo. I'm also impresed with the relative lack of noise. I've heard very discouraging reports about how noisy the K20 is at high ISOs, but I don't find the noise in your images to be objectionable. Next time I find myself in a low light situation, I won't be afraid to go beyond ISO 800.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Excellent high ISO series. Very creative number 1. Kudos to the K20 and the photographer.
Thanks PB
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Ronny, I agree with the previous comments -- I love how the dancers are blured and the callers are all still in your first photo. I'm also impresed with the relative lack of noise. I've heard very discouraging reports about how noisy the K20 is at high ISOs, but I don't find the noise in your images to be objectionable. Next time I find myself in a low light situation, I won't be afraid to go beyond ISO 800.
Thanks Mtnman,

I've always taken pictures at the max iso values if needed, to really have clean images without noise you have to go lower but if you have to choose between a shot with some noise or no shot the choise is easy.

I do have to admit that I'm really happy with the lightroom 3.2 that does wonders with noise reduction.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:50 AM   #8

Hey Ronny,
I have to admit that I had now idea square dancing was so popular in Europe either.
I never got into it my self but, my brother did. I was into line dancing for a few years and use to teach several times a week. I've even choreographed several dances. I had to give it up due to degenerative disk disease.
Anyway, very good job on the photos, just goes to show what a good camera the K20 is. I think the lens and photographer has a lot to do with it to because, I can get more noise than that at ISO 400! My hats off to you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:42 AM   #9

Thanks GW,

I can say it's rather popular, not where I live because we really have to count every evening to check if we have 8 dancers. Line dance is still really popular. Got more that 10 clubs (50+ members) within 20km.

Thanks about the kind remark about the picture, there is one extra player in the story, I know that I would have a lot more work with those pictures (and would have gotten a lot less of detail) if I hadn't used Lightroom.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:04 AM   #10

Ronnie these are great shots. I love the first one with the isolated callers.

Since abandoning my K100d for the K7 I really miss the low noise of the K100D and have tried to begin using it again when I know I need low light capability. Noiseware does a good job of noise reduction but no matter what it seems some detail gets lost.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote