Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
I'm not down on the K7. I'm just trying to figure out why so many other people on forms are. It just seems that lately there has been more bad carma about the inage quality, not just noise. Given the fact my setup had service issues, I was still getting good results.
It's the old adage, people with negative (not as expected) experiences (for whatever reason - even their own inadequacies) are going to shout the most and the loudest, that's human nature. The media response from last year, and their scientific measurements) is probably much more accurate.

Often people will compare the K7 to a D300s, 5D Mark II, 7D etc. and are surprised (because of the positive reactions) that it doesn't match or at least equal those more expensive and pro-level cameras, or indeed newly released models from the main protagonists.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
It's the old adage, people with negative (not as expected) experiences (for whatever reason - even their own inadequacies) are going to shout the most and the loudest, that's human nature. The media response from last year, and their scientific measurements) is probably much more accurate.

Often people will compare the K7 to a D300s, 5D Mark II, 7D etc. and are surprised (because of the positive reactions) that it doesn't match or at least equal those more expensive and pro-level cameras, or indeed newly released models from the main protagonists.
I should be getting it back from service Tuesday. Here are some samples before it went it. They don't reveal the de-centering issue, or the auto focus issue at infinity.
Attached Images

tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:38 PM   #13

so what about these photo's do you think makes the k-7 a bad camera? - go out take more photos and stop worrying what other people say - then we can keep this pentax forum cheerful and not drowning in negativity

cant even understand it considering pentax has released nothing but good cameras lately (did consider switching but was for specific lens option but descided against since i dont think fast aperture on telephoto lenses is so important moving forward modern high iso performance) and the k5 is mighty tempting - certainly better than anything canon has out and pretty similar to the new nikon d7000 but with better ergonomics and build quality
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:18 PM   #14

I don't do high ISO images, so the K-7 is a worthy upgrade for me from the K10D. I am on my second K-7 as the first one had a lens mount issue, but other than that I am more than happy with it.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
ask yourself this - if you hadn't read what other people say would you be unhappy with you k7?

Bingo, we have a winner.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyinGA View Post
Bingo, we have a winner.
Probably not. It's kind of a let down to think you have this great piece of gear, and a lot of people are bashing it. I should know better though, I'm a dedicated audiophile, and this happens all the time. Guess you get to a certain level in gear, and there's nothing left to do but knit pick it all apart. I really do love my K7, can't wait for it to get back from service tomorrow. Just wish they would have finished the job, and truly updated the sensor.

Last edited by tony3dd; Oct 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:07 PM   #17

mostly people bashing the k7 are people who have bought a nikon d300s or canon 7d and feel a need to bash the hell out of a product they see as being near equal to theirs but at a fraction of the cost

simple fact is that when it was released it was considered a competitor to those cameras i mention (well not the 7d is wasn't out then - think the 50d was the canon prosumer at the time) and it won awards as a prosumer camera - so be happy with your purchase - you wont get a camera as good as the k7 for the same money
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:40 PM   #18

you said it John.

I had a guy come up to me yesterday when I was out and about with a Canon EOS of some sort. He saw my pentax and stopped and talked to me. He was in frustration after dropping over 1500.00 for the camera and seeing the prices of lens options. He was ready and willing to jump ship on Pentax after I told him what kinda lenses I had and how much I paid for them.

John hit the nail on the head. Many people bash Pentax because its 'budget' gear and they dont believe you can possibly get good images out of a 500-1500.00 pentax camera when the canon/nikon equivalent cost 2-3 times as much. It costs more, so it MUST be better right? Check out the specs on paper for the Nikon D700 and the K5 and tell me which one looks better. Im sure you can guess which one is 1500.00 and which is still selling over three grand.

I also want to take note of the other manufacture's changing in mounts over years to prod more money out of the consumers. Pentax is definitely my camera of choice and like others have said, there is no perfect camera, all have their quirks but dont listen to fanboy rants. Im not a pentax fanboy per say, I just go where the value is, and its a clear choice to me.

Edit: I see your woes are directly related to K7 and not in pentax in general, and just throwing it out there, if you wanna trade your K7 for my K20d, Ill take you up on it any time of the day!

Last edited by NMRecording; Oct 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
you said it John.

I had a guy come up to me yesterday when I was out and about with a Canon EOS of some sort. He saw my pentax and stopped and talked to me. He was in frustration after dropping over 1500.00 for the camera and seeing the prices of lens options. He was ready and willing to jump ship on Pentax after I told him what kinda lenses I had and how much I paid for them.

John hit the nail on the head. Many people bash Pentax because its 'budget' gear and they dont believe you can possibly get good images out of a 500-1500.00 pentax camera when the canon/nikon equivalent cost 2-3 times as much. It costs more, so it MUST be better right? Check out the specs on paper for the Nikon D700 and the K5 and tell me which one looks better. Im sure you can guess which one is 1500.00 and which is still selling over three grand.

I also want to take note of the other manufacture's changing in mounts over years to prod more money out of the consumers. Pentax is definitely my camera of choice and like others have said, there is no perfect camera, all have their quirks but dont listen to fanboy rants. Im not a pentax fanboy per say, I just go where the value is, and its a clear choice to me.

Edit: I see your woes are directly related to K7 and not in pentax in general, and just throwing it out there, if you wanna trade your K7 for my K20d, Ill take you up on it any time of the day!
Like I said I love my K7 for the most part. Handleing, white balance, control layout, and Glass can't be beat. It has almost every feature you could possibly want. I must admit I love taking high ISO shots in low light, so I guess I need to shoot raw. I actually never have shot raw. I do have Aperture 3 for conversion, and I have noise ninja plugin for it. Maybe you guys can help me out with raw. I'm sure with those tools I should get great results at 1600 ISO.

My camera, and lenses come back from service tomorrow. They were serviced by CRIS. Hope all is well, it's been four weeks.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:40 PM   #20

not used aperture 3 but raw is not some black magic - its very easy to use - at its most basic its a couple of sliders that let you adjust white balance (rarely needed with k7 since as you have said its very good at getting it right all by itself) and exposure - i tend to process the raw into photoshop before i do noise reduction if needed not sure if there is any advantage in doing noise reduction before photoshop or not

other things to look out for is recovery - it will recover the blown highlights without altering to much else very handy
Pentax Photo Gallery