Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:21 AM   #1

Default Is the K7 really that bad?

I have to tell ya, with all the bad press I'm reading lately on forms about the K7, I'm beginning to believe it's a real piece of $&€! I mean the image quality can't even stand up to the K200d? Wow, what was Pentax thinking? Better yet what the hell was I thinking?

Last edited by tony3dd; Oct 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:29 AM   #2

I haven't heard anything bad about the K7 except the noise level wasn't as good as the K20. That aside, I still think its a great camera.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I haven't heard anything bad about the K7 except the noise level wasn't as good as the K20. That aside, I still think its a great camera.
Here's one. It just seems like Pentax almost went backwards in image quality with the K7. I wish I had done more research before I bought it.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Here's one. It just seems like Pentax almost went backwards in image quality with the K7. I wish I had done more research before I bought it.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ace-k200d.html
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Tony, I would be lying if I said that there aren't some situations in which I prefer my K20d to my K-7. In particular, I really like flower macros on the K20d better than the K-7. The lens used seems to be a very significant factor. Color appears richer on the K-20 with my Tamron 28-75, but I don't see the same difference with my Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

I like the sharpness of the K-7.... I like its greater speed....and my experience is that the K-7 has less noise problems than either the K-10 or K-20. I have not used the K-200 and have limited experience on the K-100m, but, given a choice, it took my son about half a second to swap his K100 for my K10.

I don't claim my experience is at all scientific....only anecdotal, but I like my K-7, and I've taken several thousand strong photos with it.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:54 AM   #6

The K200 was the last of the bodies that used a CCD based sensor. With the K20, K7 and now K5 the sensor is CMOS. Different technology. Each technology has both its own strengths and weaknesses. Same with the bodies. In various respects the Kx exceeds the K7 (high ISO is the obvious one).

There is no perfect camera body - everything is a set of compromises.

The K7 is very close to the K20, but there are differences. In a number of areas, the K20 is better, while in others changes in the K7, gave it the edge in other areas.

It depends on you, what type of photography and environment you are in that provides a basis for which camera would work best.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7

ask yourself this - if you hadn't read what other people say would you be unhappy with you k7?

then ask yourself who are the people saying its rubbish? because the k7 won gear of the year award 2009 beating all the prosumer cameras from canon and nikon - it got rave reviews even from magizines i would call biased - so how bad a camera can it honestly be?

i personally love the k7 - i think its a great camera and i've got plenty of fantastic images out of it - might i have done better with another camera? possibly in terms of high iso noise but i really dont think that it is significantly hindering my photography - is useable iso 12800 going to suddenly make my photos better - i highly doubt it in all but the most extreme instances
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8

Thanks. I guess I was just tired of all the negative comments lately on the K7. It's on it's way back from repair right mow along with two lenses. Should be here Tuesday. I had a focusing issue with the 18-55mm. At 18mm it had a very difficult time locking focus. The 55-300 had a de-centering issue. Supposedly both were fixed. I sent the body with, and they cleaned off a speck on the focus screen, and also adjusted focus for both lenses. I really Can't wait to get my hands on it. I love the handling, and the white balance is best in class. Seems that lately a lot of people are turning on the K7. I can't afford a K5 right now, so I bought Noise Ninja, and Aperture 3 for raw conversion. This should solve most of the high ISO issues. I'll let you know how the repairs turned out. They were sent to CRIS in Arizona. I've heard they do a good job.
Here's a list of what they did....
K7
WARRANTY
ADJUSTED AUTO FOCUS OPERATION AND VERIFIED PROPER FOCUS WITH LENSES
CLEANED FINDER DUST
CHECKED TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN
18-55mm lens
WARRANTY
ADJUSTED INFINITY FOCUS AT 18MM AND VERIFIED PROPER FUCUS WITH YOUR CAMERA BODY
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
55-300
WARRANTY
ADJUSTED AND TIGHTENED REAR LENS GROUP AND VERIFIED FOR PROPER RESOLUTION
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:35 PM   #9

To be honest Tony .... I don't understand your attitude. You seem to be picking out negative media response, ignoring the good / great, and then saying you think it is a real piece of #$#%.

Get real.

It isn't what is written that matters, it's what YOU are capable of getting out of the camera. It's a sequentially improved camera (from 20D), and superb, even if the Kx (for low ISO only) Kr (not WR) and K5 surpass it in some areas.

There are thousands of spectacular photos from the K7 out there (as this forum and others like it have proven) so it's up to you to learn the techniques required to deliver those shots. The camera can handle pretty much everything YOU could throw at it, even if not what a pro sports shooter needs from it.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
To be honest Tony .... I don't understand your attitude. You seem to be picking out negative media response, ignoring the good / great, and then saying you think it is a real piece of #$#%.

Get real.

It isn't what is written that matters, it's what YOU are capable of getting out of the camera. It's a sequentially improved camera (from 20D), and superb, even if the Kx (for low ISO only) Kr (not WR) and K5 surpass it in some areas.

There are thousands of spectacular photos from the K7 out there (as this forum and others like it have proven) so it's up to you to learn the techniques required to deliver those shots. The camera can handle pretty much everything YOU could throw at it, even if not what a pro sports shooter needs from it.
I'm not down on the K7. I'm just trying to figure out why so many other people on forms are. It just seems that lately there has been more bad carma about the inage quality, not just noise. Given the fact my setup had service issues, I was still getting good results.