Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1

Default some birds of all sizes, possibly my best ever

The results are in, Im loving this lens. I went back to the same bird sanctuary and got many of the same birds I did last time just for AB comparisons. First few I checked, I noticed a decent sized difference in image quality over my old birding lens, then I realized I had miss focussed on the first few (I blame the microscopic 1" lcd on ist D Ive been using till K20 is fixed or I buy K5 )

Those following the slightly mis-focused ones were even more impressive. I actually didnt even sharpen or PP but maybe 1 or 2 in this bunch. The lens is THAT sharp, I tried a few of them and realized it was just overkill with sharpness and they looked even better right outta the box so to speak. Im loving it, I still have many pics to go through as theres many more keepers this tiem around with the faster lens. Ill shut up now, Im just happy with, what i believe is my best results yet.

Last edited by NMRecording; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Hope you enjoyed these. Thanks for taking the time to check them all out, this is a small fragment of the pics I took today so over next week if you are interested I can share rest in a new post.

Take care
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:04 AM   #4

Yes, I enjoyed them greatly. Having seen them a 300/2.8 may jump up on my list of must haves a bit.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:25 AM   #5

Nicely done!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:40 AM   #6

that the tamron 300mm f2.8? with or without the teleconverter?suspect it has to be without as those are as you said very very sharp - might have to look into that lens myself as those are some impressive shots
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7

Hi NMR,

A great series!!! Of course the lens is only part of the equation, but it certainly helps.
These are great results for a first outing with a very big, heavy MF lens.

Congrats on getting the lens! Sorry I couldn't answer your ? in the lens forum in time for your trip. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8

no problem scott,
and thanks for comments all.

Yes this is without the TC. My first impression:
tamron 300 2.8 sp with the sp 2X TC is definitely usable but if you are trying to retain fine detail on bird feathers or really fine hair, you want to be close as possible and also may require a little bit of smart sharpen, unsharp mask etc. but I am just itchin to try a 1.4 or 1.7x tc. The 2x tc with this lens is certainly passable and definitely something I do not mind using, especially when i need 600mm F/5.6.

without any TC, well I dont think I could ask for any better.

Like I said, these aren't even PP'd except for 2 shots in here had slight brightness adjustment. I simply could not really find ways of improving the shots in Photoshop so just left them alone.

I will want to add, the small price to pay is carrying 6 pounds (lens itself, although I heard this lens is actually lighter than the nikon 300 2.8, dont ask how) and a tripod with you. But I did it for 7 hours yesterday and actually just left the lens strapped onto the tripod and utilized the carrying handle on the tripod. I just held it upright and walked with it, letting the 10 or so pounds fall on my forearm, (carrying it like an extremely heavy torch so to speak ) which proved to be alot better than carrying on neck/back. I am not a big guy by any means and think its clearly worth it to me to have shots like these come straight out of the camera.

Thanks again for lookin guys, Ill probably going through the rest of my shots, or a good portion of them this evening and will have more to share.

Have a good day

Last edited by NMRecording; Oct 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:13 PM   #9

Nice shots NMR .. some beauties in there, sharp, sharp, sharp.

I've decided on the 60-250 and am saving hard for one that's available locally for $500, but after seeing a few shots from this T 300/2.8 I'm very impressed.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Nice shots NMR .. some beauties in there, sharp, sharp, sharp.

I've decided on the 60-250 and am saving hard for one that's available locally for $500, but after seeing a few shots from this T 300/2.8 I'm very impressed.
$500!!!!!! DAMN thats just not fair i dropped just over 1000 on one of these, almost threw my account into the red lol but seriously it might sound like a great offer and it might even be a great offer but remember the saying "you get what you pay for" there could well be something hinky with this lens at that price
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote