Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:41 AM   #1

Default Shooting Raw With K7

I decided to start shooting raw at least for high ISO shots with my K7. Do you have any suggestions? The only conversion software I have is Aperture 3.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2

GIMP, handles PEF fine and has some decent noise reduction.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3

Never shot raw before. Anybody out there using Aperture for the conversion?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Is there some inside joke I am not aware of? any time I recommend GIMP for anything, my reply is completely ignored.

Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5

I didn't mean to ignor you. It's just that I spent money on Aperture, and prefer a single solution. I like Aperture's tools very much. I also own the Noise Ninja plugin for Aperture.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Is there some inside joke I am not aware of? any time I recommend GIMP for anything, my reply is completely ignored.
Actually, the Gimp does not handle raw files at all. ;-)

But, you can use the dcraw.c plugin with it, or use UFRaw with it (which can act as a stand alone converter or as plugin for the Gimp) so that the conversion from raw is done prior to loading the image into the Gimp's [currently 8 bit only] editor.

IOW, you've probably got one or the other installed (raw conversion plugin), as the Gimp by itself does not support raw files, and they'll need to be converted from raw before you can view/edit them using the Gimp.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:22 PM   #7

I never got along well with Noise Ninja and finally gave up on it. I'd recommend Topaz Lab's DeNoise, which will work with Aperature (it's a plug-in type program). I don't use Aperture myself, so you'd have to read how it works. I know with Lightroom there's a free program you also have to download to get it to work directly from LR (rather than having to go to Photoshop). Aperture may or may not be the same. It's a wonderful noise reduction program, better than Noise Ninja for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I never got along well with Noise Ninja and finally gave up on it. I'd recommend Topaz Lab's DeNoise, which will work with Aperature (it's a plug-in type program). I don't use Aperture myself, so you'd have to read how it works. I know with Lightroom there's a free program you also have to download to get it to work directly from LR (rather than having to go to Photoshop). Aperture may or may not be the same. It's a wonderful noise reduction program, better than Noise Ninja for me.
Thanks I'll look into that.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Actually, the Gimp does not handle raw files at all. ;-)

But, you can use the dcraw.c plugin with it, or use UFRaw with it (which can act as a stand alone converter or as plugin for the Gimp) so that the conversion from raw is done prior to loading the image into the Gimp's [currently 8 bit only] editor.

IOW, you've probably got one or the other installed (raw conversion plugin), as the Gimp by itself does not support raw files, and they'll need to be converted from raw before you can view/edit them using the Gimp.
They must be including the conversion tools by default, I have never installed any plugins for GIMP and it handles RAW/PEF/DNG just fine. Yeah it converts them, but the conversion part is the bit I recommend for the excellent noise reduction.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:37 AM   #10

Lately I'm a Lightroom convert. I'm getting great high iso stuff with it. Only it's not in so much an editing environment but more a photo-media-database thing.

The post processing in my last post http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...are-dance.html was done in Lightroom 3.2