Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:58 AM   #1

Default Autumn Pollen

Autumn has definitely arrived here in East Tennessee. We've had days of cool and damp, and there's a chance of light frost tonight!

But the late-season flowers (mostly Asters & Goldenrods) are still in full bloom, and still full of late-season pollinators.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:00 AM   #2

Aster means "liitle star," and these blooms are definitely one of the "stars" of our autumn meadows. Here is a small species of bumblebee enjoying tiny white asters, and a skipper enjoying big purple asters.
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:03 AM   #3

Goldenrods have been especially abundant in the sunny meadows this year, and a great source of pollen and nectar for many "bugs." Here are Locust Longhorn beetles, Monarch butterflies, and Paper Wasp all enjoying goldenrod pollen.
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:05 AM   #4

Of course, not all the autumnal insects are after pollen! This tree cricket was just trying to find some sunshine on a very cool morning. The Milkweed bugs were also enjoying a good sunbath. And I'm not sure what kind of caterpillar this is, but it sure was busy working on the tip of that horsetail plant!
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:09 AM   #5

Cool damp weather brought me a bonus this past week. Have been trying to document all the dragonfly & damselfly species in the park, and there is one very common species I've been unable to photograph. Common Green Darners never seem to stop flying, and don't seem to follow a very predictable pattern in flight. They are too fast for my slow reaction time!
But with the cooler weather, they are perching more! They do hide in rather inaccesible places, but I was able to get a few snapshots of both the male & female of the species. Not the best, but better than no photo at all...
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:11 AM   #6

Hope you enjoyed this little autumnal ramble in the park, and that your outdoor rambles are also full of small discoveries!

Thanks for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:46 AM   #7

Mole ! First off let me gush a bit as I tell you how absolutely wonderful these shots are!! Next , remind me again what lens you use for the bug macros and also the flash. Thanks, Chris
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:44 AM   #8

Great work, Mole... which lens are you using here? And the EXIF data appears to have been lost in the upload. But fantastic work nonetheless. We're about to enter prime photo season here in the Northeast.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:19 PM   #9

These are great, Mole!
My guess is you are using the 105mm here? Always stunning results.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:08 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Agreed, these are super. Great DOF, contrast, color and comp on them. well done sir.