Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:50 PM   #1

Default Comparison?

I got my K100D today along with a 100-300 SMC AF zoom so I'd have a decent AF lens to use when I don;t feel like MF. But as a relative newby to this forum I'd like to know if a comparison of the K100D to my Oly gear is okay. If not I'll limit my comments to what I like/don't like about the camera and save the test shots etc for another forum. Either way it'll have to wait as I've had little chance to get familar with the K100, have to say that so far I like how it all works, except for a lack of a metering button. Unless I missed it, I don't like having to go into the menu to change the metering method but it's not something i couldn't get used to.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:59 PM   #2

Personally, I would think posting comparison between two cameras even if one isn't a Pentax would be alright as long as it wasn't done in a way that made it sound like you were bashing either make. Its like cars, My wife drives a Pontiac, I drive my Tracker.
I like both vehicles, each for different reasons, neither is perfect.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3

I can't see me bashing either one, I like my Oly bodies and so far from what I've seen I like the K100. I think it would just be to see things like noise levels etc, it'll be hard to do sharpness comparisons because of the crop factor difference but I'll try. Thankfully I can use my Tamron SP lenses on both so at least the lens will be the same. Eventually I might have to choose one system over the other but for now I'm hoping to figure out how to make the most of each of them.

John
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:15 AM   #4

Actually, if you wanted to post two shots done at the same fstop, shutter, etc. done by each camera to show the differences and what you think about them...it may help those looking at both cameras.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:16 AM   #5

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Goldwinger....You are sooo right. I had a wonderful 1986 burgundy wing...great ride.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:32 AM   #6

I for one would be delighted to see some comparison shots. It's always an education (for me) to see other folks' work, and this would be additional education about different equipment.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:47 AM   #7

I enjoy looking at similar shots taken by different cameras as long as the camera bodies (and to a certain extent, the lenses) are somewhat comparable. Otherwise, the comparison becomes absolutely pointless.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Oct 6, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Unless I missed it, I don't like having to go into the menu to change the metering method but it's not something i couldn't get used to.

John
You only have to get into the menu once, to set it to "allow aperture ring". Then you leave it there forever, it doesn't harm or interfere with the use of "A"-lenses (A, F, FA, DA) in any way.
When using an M- or K-lens you have to use the "M"-mode and set the exposure manually with the aperture ring and the thumb wheel for exposure time. You use the DOF preview to meter and check your settings. You can also use a button. On my K20D it's the "green button", on the K100D I think it's the AE-lock button but I'm not sure since I don't have that camera. Someone who does, please chime in!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I enjoy looking at similar shots taken by different cameras as long as the camera bodies (and to a certain extent, the lenses) are somewhat comparable. Otherwise, the comparison becomes absolutely pointless.
Indeed! But as far as similarity I'd say a K100, E-1 and E-500 are close enough in vintage for it to be meaningful. To me anyway, I'm not sure how many others like buying older DSLRs because they're cheap.

John
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:29 PM   #10

I had to think for a few minutes when you asked about the metering method. Kjell is correct about what he said - the AE-L button when used in M mode (i.e., using manual lenses with the lens set to a specific aperture) does temporarily stop the lens down and allows the camera to meter. However, I don't think that's what you are asking for, is it?

Aren't you asking about how to change between spot, matrix and center-weighted metering? If so, then yes you are right. You have to go into the menus to change the metering mode, one of the limitations with the K100 (and I think K200, Km and Kx, maybe Kr though I've never used these cameras). I've found that frustrating when I've used the K100 recently - one of the big advantages to the K10, K20, K7 and (I assume) K5. It wasn't a big deal when I first got my K100 (bought new when they were first out) but it's very annoying now. There's been several times when shooting IR that I wanted to change the mode but didn't bother - just changed the shutter speed until I got what I wanted when reviewing. Not that big of a deal since I end up doing all my IR stuff using M mode, auto exposure is mostly miss with an IR filter on my particular K100.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote