Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Default October Monthly Challenge

What a surprise! I won the September challenge, still can't believe it! Thanks to everyone who voted for my photo. :-D I feel a bit guilty to "steal" that win from pboerger, though... Hm... I've got a bit jumped by these news to say so - lets see: we had a HDR challenge (very technical/postprocessing oriented), golden hour (get the right lighting).

What about this: One of the many interesting aspects of photography for me is to "see things" when you take pictures. Finding a good/the right object, arrange stuff, image composition etc. - so my challenge for you is about that and it's called:

SET!

Background information:
There is a game called "SET!" (Links to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(game) and http://www.setgame.com/set/rules_set.htm ) and we play this in the family and with friends now and then. Follow the link to learn about it and maybe you even try it on your own This is where I got the idea from, I just modified the base idea for us.

The challenge:
Your task is to find and photograph three objects of the same kind, where
- the shape,
- the size and
- the color
are either the same for all or completely different.

This challenge calls for your "photographic eye" and/or your arrangement skills, your imagination and fantasy and lets you think about composition as sometimes it might be quite difficult to get these three objects on the image.

Rules:
1. pictures are to be sized 800 pixels on their longest side
2. use a Pentax or Samsung dSLR to take the pictures
3. pictures were taken within the last 90 days (if possible, embed EXIF information or add the date in your posting)

Additional rules for this challenge:
1. While you are allowed to arrange three objects in real life and take photos, the use of software to "produce" that SET! image is not allowed. I am talking about cut&paste, the cloning tools etc. Of course postprocessing in general is allowed
2. Minor/acceptable differences in size, shape and color are allowed of course.

Have fun and I hope we get some fantastic, unexpected, maybe unusual and crazy/mind-boggling photos. The "best" set shall win!

Kind regards,
Th.

P.S.
Be careful and watch your steps. When you get into this, you might get distracted from driving or else

P.P.S.
As this is confusing at first, I'll give some examples:

Example1:
- of course 3 green apples of the same size would make a set. Same size, same color, same shape ("apple" shape)
- and (still easy) 2 green apples and 1 red apple is not a set, even if they are of the same size and shape.
- but 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 red apple are a set (same size of course): same size, same "apple" shape, color COMPLETELY different

Example2:
- a yellow peach, a green apple and a red nectarine would be a set (almost the same size, nearly the same shape, different colors for each)
- change the yellow peach to a yellow banana: no set (shape!)
- yellow banana, yellow peach, yellow pear (almost the same size, same color, different shape) could work as a set

Some ideas for you:
- look around and I'm sure you'll find 3 objects that you could put on a table and snap a picture.
- fruits, vegetables, things you find in your kitchen, ...
- all kind of collectibles in general
- do you know 3 twins? Show us!
- people in general: child, teenager, adult: combine the different sizes with identical colors (or completely different). Shape is considered the same ("human being")
- animals: mouse, horse, elephant (roughly same shape, 4 legs etc.)
- animals: eel, raven, cat (roughly the same size, completely different shape)
- plants: a tree sapling, a small tree (maybe as tall as you) and an old tree of the same kind (10m or higher)
- plants again: flower, moss, tree/bush (completely different shape)
- the cars in your street/village: maybe there are 3 of (nearly) the same shape? But with different colors?

Of course getting "everything different" is the hardest challenge. I am anxious to see the images that achieve that goal.

Last edited by thkn777; Oct 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2

I think THNK maybe have to act as adjudicator as well as setting ( ) the challenge this month !

My well be a good challenge to increase our observational skills.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3

I think you mean Samsung or Pentax DSLR.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I think you mean Samsung or Pentax DSLR.
Thanks - I lost the "Pentax" in the formatting process .

Th.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I think THNK maybe have to act as adjudicator as well as setting ( ) the challenge this month !
Nah... the rules are really easy. I thought "huh?" when I read them for the card game but it needs just a few minutes and you get the hang of it.

Quote:
My well be a good challenge to increase our observational skills.
Yes - that's what the challenge is about: "see" the set and take the photo OR arrange a set and take the photo. You can go out and search for it or you can make your very own set.

Th.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:45 AM   #6

Congrats on the win! An interesting challenge. I normally just look to see what I've got but this month will need to think ahead and actively look for the right subject; just not when driving, etc
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:32 PM   #7

Just to get you started...

This photo was taken from the Berlin TV tower and I can remember talking with my daughter about those three skyscrapers. I didn't crop here to show the whole scenery. WB is difficult because of the colored windows of the tower but it's not too far off I think.

There we go:
- 3 skyscrapers (same shape)
- same size
- different color (blue, yellow, red)

Of course, that's an "easy" set - but it shows that the sets can be found everywhere. Happy hunting!

Btw. - how do you like the view? There is a cafe in the TV tower and it moves around - so after like half an hour you've got a full 360 view. Just in case you visit Berlin - take your time to order some coffee there and enjoy the view!

This probably won't be my final entry.

Kind regards,
Th.

P.S. Image was taken on September 1st 2010, *ist DL2, f/8, 1/200s, 28mm. I lost EXIF somewhere in the PP process... I'll try to produce an image which contains the EXIF so you can be sure about the date. For some reason the image lost detail after uploading here, the original file on my HD looks much better

Update: I added a version with EXIF information. Silly software, that eats those information. Darnit....
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Oct 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

Very cool picture, and the view is incredible!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:33 PM   #9

Would three guitars, different sizes, same basic shape with similar colors (shades of brown) be a set?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:03 PM   #10

Okay, call it a place holder. F and FA lenses. Same colour, same style, very different sizes. I don't have much here to choose from.

This is my second attempt, I removed two of the lens hoods to better show the size difference and went with a cleaner background.

BTW this is a 10/10/10 image.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Oct 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote