Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:42 PM   #1

Default Train Art?

Driving down the road, I suddenly pulled over to the side and declared, I gotta get a shot of that! My wife just looked at me like I was crazy.
I thought it was kinda cool...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:59 PM   #2

There is a lot of that in the LA area. I'm no fan of graffiti, but I have to admit a grudging sense of admiration for the lettering skills of some of those vandals.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:07 PM   #3

Have to agree with Penolta. Some of their artwork is really quite impressive, but when the put their "stamp" on private property, without the consent of the owner, it annoys me too. (Perhaps I'm such a curmudgeon because I serve on my town's selectboard, and I hate spending the taxpayers' money to to eliminate graffiti.)

But I have to agree, it's a cool photo.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4

i am no fan either, seeing as my taxes are going towards cleaning it up grrrr
and even more so when it is on a good photographic subject

i am guessing as you were with the missus that you couldnt go over and explore it more
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:23 PM   #5

I agree, I hate graffiti for the most part. mainly because what it stands for, plus the fact its illegal, not to mention an eyesore. Now, all that aside... there is an artistic side to it. And in some areas it has become somewhat of a subculture of sorts. I'll have to admit there are some talented graffiti artist out there. I'm reminded of a movie I saw a long time back called "Turk 184" about a teenager in NY city and his bout with the cops as he pursued his goal of decorating the everything he possibly could, without getting caught. It was a fun movie, and you couldn't help siding with the teen.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:27 PM   #6

Hi GW,

I'm another that really doesn't like most graffiti -- and living in a major metro area, it's everywhere. . .luckily, out here in the 'burbs, it's not nearly as common, and the train cars are the most common "canvas".

Just about all the trains are decorated up here -- I regularly get stuck at train crossings while driving (there are a larger number of surface freight tracks than most areas), and have, on numerous occasions, broken out the cam and shot the cars as they passed by, trying to get some of the better "art". Some of it is very creative, most is just egotistical self promotion.

I've had thoughts of doing a big series of the best, and it probably would get some attention if I tried to promote it, but I just can't bring myself to camp out by the tracks for the amount of time it would take. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
I've had thoughts of doing a big series of the best, and it probably would get some attention if I tried to promote it, but I just can't bring myself to camp out by the tracks for the amount of time it would take. . .
Scott
Not to mention providing examples for other taggers to imitate.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote