Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:58 AM   #1

Default Portrait in white

Now I want some honest opinion about this one. What do you think I could do better or different. This was taken with ist DL2, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and external flash. Just a little sharpening added and vignetting removed. I don't remember if it was AF or MF. That lens is brilliant if you can get focus right, I just wish it had this Pentax lens feature focus shift or whatever it's cold, when you don't have to turn AF off to do manual adjustment.

Greg

ist DL2, Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8, external flash

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:27 AM   #2

no expert in portraiture but i would say it might have been better in portrait format rather than landscape and maybe a little more fill light - a reflector might do the trick
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:19 PM   #3

I know this must sound very picky, but there are clipped highlights in her top. I like the portrait, but that clear white at the right just "jumps" at me and distracts me from the face and so on.

Just a thought. No offense meant.

A second thought - why not go the next step and try an even more "high-key" oriented approach? I attached a modified version of your image and some crop ideas as I thing cropping might be a good idea here.

I think the setup itself and the image "work" to say so, thanks for sharing and I hope you don't mind my PP work.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:45 PM   #4

I would then go for a lil' detail/refocus and local contrast enhancement (which surprisingly added some kind of lighting from the left, but I like it).

Something like that. Before/after image added to show the whole effect side by side. Not sure if you were aiming at something like this with your setup but I'd say it can produce some nice images from what I saw in this picture.

Regards,
Th.

Note: at some point postprocessing is limited with that image - you'll notice artefacts appearing in these last ones, I can't help that, sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Oct 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:57 PM   #5

@Moderators
Can we please do something against a plain white forum background? Give some shade of grey... it would work so much better for photos!

Th.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:29 PM   #6

i liked the idea thinkn but the red is too prominent for my taste, can I try?

Subtle high key

ultra high

Last edited by NMRecording; Oct 9, 2010 at 8:33 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
@Moderators
Can we please do something against a plain white forum background? Give some shade of grey... it would work so much better for photos!

Th.
Putting a border around your posted photos helps.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:50 PM   #8

like the high(er) key images - definately needed the boost to bring the background into pure white and slightly warmer tones too
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:53 AM   #9

Thanks
Th: that's really nice. I'm not much a portarit guy and it wasn't proper session anyway, we were just sitting outside and I was snapping away. Just liked this one most.
I'm more into landscapes so that's something I'm not really comfortable with.
About high key: I forgot completly that white on white is just asking for it.

Thanks for all your comments and PP, but if you could just tell me how did you do it it'd be much helpful.

Greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:14 AM   #10

I'm glad you liked the high key idea Details and personal taste come into play here of course and you are the only one to judge colors anyway...

Basically I used negative multiply layers and histogram layers to get the high key effect, then (auto) maximized saturation (was more a try as I felt the image to black&white-ish and a bit harsh). You can always lower the saturation after that step manually but that way it's "spread" well over the full range. Manual detail/refocus (I gave a basic idea in another thread what I mean with that already) and of course the cropping.

The local contrast enhancement was a try to see if the lighting would change dramatically (I was just curious) and after playing around a bit I left it at the current settings.

Tools used:
- PhotoLine 32
- Image Analyzer
- PhotoShop Essentials

If you need more information, just ask.