Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:33 AM   #1

Default buy a WR lens?

It just hit me tonight that even though I have a WR body (K20), all my lenses (at least I'm pretty sure, none) are waterproof. I've taken the 18-55 out a bit in the past few months (mostly because it was lighter) and am thinking maybe it's time to sell it and buy the 18-55 WR lens. I just briefly checked ebay and found some as cheap as $150.

Any thoughts on this? I usually don't take my camera out when it's raining, but with all the rain we've had this past week and knowing we are heading into winter again with snow, thought it might not be a bad idea.

What are my choices if I do go this route on one lens? 18-55, 50-200, 100 2.8, 18-135. Of course, I have no idea on the prices on these. So, might not be an issue.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:54 AM   #2

the 18-55 wr isn't a bad lense if your not bothered by slow apertures and if you look around should be able to pick one up very cheaply - not so fond of the 50-200 wr personally its not a bad lens or anything but its not great either - it however very lite and compact so if that matter to you its worth looking at

the new 18-135mm wr well not really much info on it so far but from wht little i have heard from people who got there hands on a copy at photokina said its a good lens but it is supposed to retail for fair bit - pre release price in the uk is 599 so damn well better be good at that price
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:46 AM   #3

Except for the kit WR lenses (18-55 and 50-200) the rest are fairly pricey. If you are happy with the 18-55 you have now then the WR version offers the same performance with the weatherproofing. If the price is right it seems like a good upgrade since the other choices will require a significantly greater cash outlay.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:26 PM   #4

Patty I've been considering exactly the same thing. I have a weather sealed K20, and a non-weather sealed DA16-45.

Another thing to consider: I have a plastic rain cover that was inexpensive, and does a pretty good job of keeping rain off the camera and lens. But it's a lot more awkward to use with the cover. If I did a lot of shooting in foul weather (like Mole), I would probably spring for a weather sealed lens, but for my occasional use, this cover is not all that aggravating. I didn't spend too much time looking, but after a very quick internet search I couldn't find my exact model of rain cover, but this one is similar:
http://www.adorama.com/TBRC14.html
Mine is made of plastic, not nylon, and it has velcro tabs that hold it on the camera. If my memory is still good, my rain cover cost about $15 four or five years ago. I don't know if it's still available.

By the way, how are you doing? You're in my thoughts and prayers.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the input.

John - I would like a faster lens, but figured for $150 I could have the WR and still be the same as I am now. Although, thought today about the "package" of the K5 with maybe the 18-135 price might make it worth it if I was getting the K5 anyway. But, that's just a dream at this point.

Ira - looked around tonight on ebay and found Adorama has it for $165 (incl shipping and a small kit), B&H has it for $150 w/free shipping. Sounds like a fair price to me from someone I trust. There is a tri-state camera that offers it with a 7 year warranty for $165, but never heard of them. I'm assuming if it's a Pentax, I will get the standard Pentax warranty on it if I buy from Adorama or B&H. And, if I sell my original one, could put it towards the $150. They seem to be anywhere from $20 - over $100 used. Mine is in excellent condition.

Mtnman - I do have a plastic rain cover, but never end up using it. I've had it for about four years, too. I either forget I have it and don't bring it, or am a little embarrassed to use it. I'm not one for standing out in a crowd.

Re: the treatments. Just finished the 2nd treatment last week and am finally feeling human again today for a full day for the first time. Just in time for my 3rd next Thursday. They each throw me for a loop. But, with the total hair loss now, know that they are doing something. Hopefully killing all the cancer cells (Picked this guy because he actually has hair!) I did put in for STD and am hoping to get out more with my camera and enjoy myself on my good days. Lou has offered to take me into Boston one day next week to get some good shots. Finally, a good trip to Boston. I did go out with my aunt today to catch some of the color, but we left too late and we only stopped at one spot. I'll see tomorrow how they came out and maybe post here.

Thanks for the prayers. I still believe in them.

Patty

Last edited by nhmom; Oct 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:09 PM   #6

I'd love to have the 100 macro WR - it's a lens that intrigues me a whole bunch. However, I have the Viv and there are other lenses are higher on my personal list of priorities, but someday I'd sure like to pick one of these up.

I'm looking for a weather sealed lens to replace my version 1 kit lens. I thought about the WR version of the lens, and the one I tested was a bit better quality than mine, but not enough to really tempt me. I'll take a close look at the 18-135 as people buy it, but think I'd rather get the 16-50 one of these days. In your situation, the 18-55 WR makes a lot of sense - it's MUCH lighter - especially if you are happy with your current kit lens.

I used to use the K10 and the A*300 in snow, just walking around. I'd keep the camera pointed down under my jacket, with the LCD/back of the camera somewhat exposed (it's sealed after all) and the lens and mount area protected except when I was actually shooting. I wouldn't do that in a downpour, but it worked fine in snow (big flakes, not a blizzard).

And you are still in my prayers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:29 PM   #7

Patty, I have the 18-55 WR, the DA*50-135 f/2.8, and the DA 100 WR Macro f/2.8.

I bought the WR version of the kit lens to replace my kit lens after it was stolen with a group of lenses in Hawaii a couple of years ago. It's extremely light, its IQ is strong, and I feel a certain piece of mind using it in adverse conditions.

I dropped my 50-135 a year ago, and I'm not convinced it has been right since it got back from Pentax repair. It just hasn't had the feel or the IQ that made it my favorite lens before it was dropped.

I've only had the 100 a few weeks, and I'm still learning to use it, but I love what I've gotten from it so far. It's unbelievably light for a high-quality macro. It shows promise of becoming one of my favorite lenses.

A couple I've taken with it, but not posted:

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:08 AM   #8

My best wishes are with you.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:16 PM   #9

OK, I admit I'm a little slow at times but, I was under the impression that all "DA" lenses were weather resistant. Am I wrong?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:17 PM   #10

yup - only DA* and those labeled WR (that currently includes the DA 18-55mm WR, DA 50-200mm WR, DFA 100mm Macro WR, and the new DA 18-135mm WR) the rest are not weather sealed
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote