Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Impending K-5 arrival announced

Just got an email from B&H announcing the impending arrival of the K-5 priced at $1599.99 for the body alone, and $1749.95 with the kit lens. They have them listed, but are not accepting orders yet, though. Not quite the price break hoped for yet.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2

well sure beats a canikon release price! Ill be waiting for a drop in price, but hope that will be in the next 6 months. (my goal is to snag it for a cool grand) well see
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3

Adorama has the K-r in stock, I think (sure looked that way on their website, compared to the K5). I'm still trying to decide which camera to buy. I'm not willing to make a decision until I see some true comparison shots that will convince me that the K5 really does have (usable/visible) dynamic range and noise control to match the Kx and Kr - it's just too much to pay to get some features that aren't that important to me and more pixels (with the larger file size!).

Now, if the camera lives up to the expectations/hype then I'll have to figure out how to scrape together the bucks.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Now, if the camera lives up to the expectations/hype then I'll have to figure out how to scrape together the bucks.
I will also buy one if it lives up to the hype, but if not I will pass on this one, to much money if it doesn't deliver.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:39 AM   #5

...........been thinking , thinking , thinking...............if the K5 does as well in low light as it's supposed to then I might have to make my first above 1000 dollar camera purhase..................
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Adorama has the K-r in stock, I think (sure looked that way on their website, compared to the K5).
B&H is accepting preorders for the k-r black and white bodies with kit lens at $849 (which means at least that they have been notified of their allotment); they list the red body with lens ($849), body only ($799) and two-lens kits ($899 and $999) but are not accepting orders yet for those, which, like the k-5, are expected sometime this month.

Adorama lists the k-5 as available October 20; there is no such notation on the k-r selections, for which they are accepting orders now. Prices are the same as B&H.

Last edited by penolta; Oct 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:37 PM   #7

Hi penolta,

Good! We should start seeing reviews from early adopters and some professional reviews.

I expect that the early adopters will be a bit overenthusiastic and the professional reviewers will find something to pick on. . .that will be totally irrelevant to my use. . .

If there are no significant deviations from preproduction examples already on the web, I'll be getting one, but I'll hold off until a realistic "street" price is established -- probably a couple of hundred off intro, hopefully with a 3 year factory warranty, either included free or at the current $29 price. I have yet to need warranty work on any of my bodies or lenses, but the free checkup alone is worth more than the cost, IMO.

In the past, AF speed increases from model to model have been reviewed by early adopters as "seems faster", and Pentax has only claimed "an improvement in AF speed". This time, Pentax seems to be claiming "a big improvement in AF speed", have added shutter priority to AF S and focus priority to AF C, and sensor lens and AF point coverage improvements with a new AF sensor. If there's some noticeable improvement in AF performance, both in low light sensitivity and speed, then that will be enough for me in this respect.

I think it's a lock that we'll see at least a 2 stop improvement in high ISO performance, and that's easily enough for me to upgrade all by itself, as this will cut possible shutter times by a factor of at least 1/4x. The difference between using my long lens/TC combos between an upper limit of ISO 320 with the K10 and ISO 1250 with the K20/K-7 made a huge difference for my purposes. Just thinking about the possibility of shooting the same combos at ISO 5000 and up is going to be that much better, and I might find that I can get away with even higher ISO, effectively eliminating a lot of subject motion blur considerations as a factor in my shooting. . .

This, and the latest strides made in NR software (particularly Topaz Denoise 5), will allow me to shoot at some insanely high ISO for less demanding purposes -- and I've already got a pretty nice collection of fast glass. . . so printable snapshots at f 1.4 or 2.8 at ISO 25600 -- how cool is that?????

I'm trying to stay conservative in my expectations. . . but I'm really pretty pumped about the K-5. . .I think it will change my shooting more than any previous model introduction. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:56 PM   #8

uk seems to be selling for 1129 but thats with a sandisk extreme 8GB 30GB/s card and a spare pentax di-90 battery which is worth about 120 - so not really much more than when i got my k7 - and VAT is going up next year so might get one this year - still cant decide and another toy has appear on my radar a paraglider +some lessons thats 3 k5's so k5 might be sacrificed on the alter of flying on wind and a prayer =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:47 PM   #9

Will wait and see.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:48 PM   #10

I'm excited about the K-5, but my wallet isn't. I might get pushed into that tough corner.....wife or camera?

Paul

"Sorry, hun! You were great!"
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote