Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:34 AM   #1

Default K20D renumbering images

Lou and I went out the other day to take fall photos. It was a lovely day and we both think we got some really nice images.

My problem is, when I downloaded my photos I noticed that I have duplicate numbers. A few things happened that day, but I can't see how any of them would have changed my numbering.

First, I hit the 10,000 image count. I was mid-card and doing multiple images for HDR. The camera jumped from 100-9997 to 101-0001 (new folder). Since 9997 was the 5th of a series and 0001 was the first of a series, I can understand that. Camera must be set to keep numbers all the same.

Second, I filled that card at image 0118. I took out my other 4GB card and started shooting. About 12 images in I ran out of room. I'd forgotten to reformat the card before putting it away. That card had images 9658 thru 9873, plus whatever it had numbered the 12 or so images I'd taken that day. Expect they were 9874 thru 9883 since it started again at 9884, although would have thought they would have been 0119 and beyond. Especially due to my experiment I'll mention later. I reformatted the card, then retook some of the images and continued taking photos the rest of the day on that card.

Upon downloading, I noticed that the retaken images from that card are 9884 thru 9953. Opening 0118 with PhotoMe, it shows a shutter count of 10,433. Opening 9884, it shows a shutter count of 10,444.

As an experiment, I reformatted both cards and took one image on each this morning. The card that was renumbering gave me an image #9954, the next in line of the renumbered series. I switched to the other card and it gave me image #9955. I then switched back to the original card as my hubby said maybe it couldn't tell the difference between the cards, but it gave me #9956.

Unless by accident, I did not change any settings in my camera for numbering. Nor, anything I can think of that would be affecting this numbering. The camera seems to be working fine otherwise. I know this isn't the end of the world, as my husband says, but I use the numbers for organizing my photos. Plus, if the electronics of the camera can't keep track of the numbering, what else might not be working.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Or, have any ideas what could have happened? The camera will be 2 years old Dec 22 and I do have the three year warranty on it. But, I really hate to send it in if I don't have to. I know some of you are saying, my perfect excuse to get the K-5, which I would love, but there's no way I can pay that much for a camera. I still need to master the K20.

Unfortunately, I will be going for another treatment this afternoon and from my past experience won't feel okay again until for a little while on Saturday, but then my immune system will start breaking down and I probably won't be back here for a while. I'll try.

Thanks, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:39 PM   #2

Hi Ptty,

There's nothing wrong with the camera. It takes it's cue from the numbering on existing images on the card as a default, even if it's from a different Pentax model. If the card is empty, it uses the last image number in its memory to calculate the next number.

It will also start a new numbering sequence upon a firmware update or if you leave the main battery out of camera for over a month, IIRC, and the method to get the sequence back on track is to rename an image file on your computer to the number you want to start with minus one, copy that file onto the card, and take your first shot with that card.

This actually happened to me when I first got my K-7. I took the memory card out of my K20, forgetting that I had taken a test image with that body and not downloaded to my computer. My new K-7 started with # 9887, but this wasn't that far off from a turnover, so I just left it. . .

As you noticed, the shutter actuation count does not change, and AFAIK there's no easy way to change this, like the odometer on your car.

Best wishes for your treatment -- hopefully you can have a mild reaction, and we'll see you back sooner than anticipated. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Oct 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:18 PM   #3

Sitting waiting on blood results to make sure I'm okay to have infusion.

Thanks, Scott. That is a big relief. I'll be renumbering Saturday when I feel better before going down again.

Patty
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:55 PM   #4

You can always figure out what number you want the next picture to be, then get a clean card, take one of your previous pictures and renumber it the number before you want the sequence to start, put it in the camera and take a picture. It will change the sequence to the next number. Then reformat the card and you should be back on track.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:07 PM   #5

Patty, I'm glad others have answered your questions, since i had no idea. But I want to wish you the best for your treatment. Six and a half years ago my wife had a very agressive form of lymphoma and needed a very powerful chemo cocktail. I remember those treatments all to well. Before each treatment she had to have bloodwork done to make sure she was strong enough to tolerate the treatment, and to determine what dosage they could safely administer. She beat that cancer, although she recently has been diagnosed with a different type of lymphoma.

Keep your spirits up, and know that things will get better. We're pulling for you!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:36 AM   #6

Alright guys. I cannot figure out what I've done wrong. I've attempted this three now and it keeps remembering the old numbering.

Being the meticulous accountant I am, I renumbered all the "duplicate" numbered pictures to continue after the recycle of 10,000 images. Wasn't too bad. Only 78 of them.

1. I deleted all the pictures on the card and put the last renumbered image (K2000196.PEF) on the card. Put the card in the camera, took a picture and it numbered it K209962.PEF.

2. Thought, maybe I needed to format the card before putting the renumberd image on the card. Redid the above steps, numbered the next image K209963.PEF.

3. Realized I was putting the image into the root directory of the card, so left the 100PENTX folder on the card and just deleted the wrong numbered image and recopied the newest number -1 one. But, same results. Next image was K209964.PEF.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: treatments - thanks for the well wishes. As I go through treatments, I know this is the thing I need, but it certainly throws me for loops as the stuff works in me. I feel somewhat okay today, but my immune system is going to start breaking down. So, I'll be back as I have energy.

Thanks, Patty
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Default Still need help - didn't work

Bumping as I still need some advice on this. Not sure what I did wrong, but the camera is not renumbering the images at the new sequence.

Thanks, Patty
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:47 PM   #8

Hi Patty,

the file no's are kept in the memory of the camera, so reformating the card won't help.

To reset the camera numbering you just have to turn off the File No (checkbox) under
Menu / Rec.Mode / Memory / File No
so if you turn the checkbox of and put a clean sd card into the camera it will start numbering again from 0, remember to turn the File No back on so it won't always start from 0.

To keep a difference series I simply changed the filename, you can change that under
Menu/Setup/File Name. I did that because I wanted a difference between my cameras but you could do that get an unique numbering system.

Cheers

Ronny

(sorry for the late answer)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:10 PM   #9

Hi Patty,

I haven't dealt with this in quite some time, so it took a while to remember what needs to be done.

I think the problem is that you have the memory setting in the Rec Mode menu checked when you are trying to reset the number.

Go to the "Memory" menu and uncheck the "IMG Number" box before inserting the card, then format it. Connect to your computer and copy an image with the desired next #-1. Put the card in the camera and take a shot, check it to see if it's now the desired #, then go back to the menu and check "IMG number" again.

I think this will solve your problem. . .

Scott

Ooops! I didn't notice Ronny's post. . .
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:17 PM   #10

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally. It worked!

Just a side note for anyone else in the future looking at this. After formatting the card, I needed to either create the 100PENTX (not positive of exact name) folder or have the camera take a photo to create the folder. Then, put the image # - 1 into that folder before the camera would number the images back to the way I needed.

Again, this forum is great. A piddly thing like this that someone particular like me wants and you guys came through to help me out.

Patty