Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:11 PM   #11

As one who shoots with two different brands right now I will say that overall Steves is a very friendly place. The Olympus forum has much the same family feel as this one but with fewer people and less posts. Not always such a bad thing, you guys post so much I can't keep up

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
if you owned a Rambler you just went quietly on your way. Rambler owners probably felt some pride in the fact that they didn't always jump on the bandwagon.

I also own a small Minolta Maxxum system so I do have the option of a SONY dSLR but nothing that they have built so far is sufficiently interesting to warrant that
Hmmmm. Ira, I used to own a Rambler, so I know whereof you speak.

I, too, own a stable of Minolta lenses, including their 500mm AF reflex, the only one of its kind, and so now use it on a Sony A550, which I like a lot, but, other than for shots with that lens, when I take pictures that I know I will want to post, I usually use one of my Pentaxes, for all of the reasons stated above.

I should say that some other forums are not necessarily unfriendly in the hostile sense (although there are those), but may be more in the nature of "old boy's clubs" in that they are monopolized by only one or a few members. On some of these rather than talking down to new members, they just manage to ignore those newcomers until they eventually go away - I own a Volvo, and had that problem with the subforums of the largest of that car's forums, and I see it in many Yahoo and Flicker groups, too. This place is different.

There is a dilemma, however, with a forum that becomes so popular that it is hard to keep up with if you can't visit every day for more than a few minutes. If you don't comment on a lot of posts, you may appear unfriendly; if you comment on too many, those or other threads get buried and rapidly lost in the back pages, where they may get missed by those who might want to see them. I haven't found the happy medium yet myself, but I have upped the number of threads per page (which you can do in your personal preferences) so I get to see at least all or most of the current day's threads. The large number of "stickies" doesn't help the space limitations, either.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The grass can look better on the other side - doesn't always mean that it is. Occasionally when I'm frustrated I think that if I had bought (xyz brand) instead of Pentax, I wouldn't be frustrated. Then I go back and look at pictures I've taken with a previous camera that I may or may not still own and can see similarities between all of them, regardless of which camera took them. I then realize that I could spend a whole lot of money switching systems and my pictures would probably be very similar to what I'm taking now - the grass is NOT greener.

Having said that, I do realize that certain facets of photography are handled better by other brands, but those features aren't important for what I do. What I have does exactly what I love most extremely well.

Your point, Ira, about the folks here is very true, but I think it's more a reflection of those of us who hang out here - in other words, our little subset of Pentaxians. I've been lurking on another board that I'm not even registered for to see if someone on there gets a K5 first and posts about it. I am SO glad we aren't like them - I forgot my password for that board years ago and have NO desire to either re-register or have them send it to me. It's much more fun to hang out here and remember how Roy explained shooting macro to me, and Kjell or someone like that explained how to set the DS so I could use my old manual lenses. True, some of the people who were active back then moved on, but there's quite a few who have stuck around and become real friends.
Harriet

Well said!!!!!
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Anytime I am asked the "what camera should I buy" question (happens pretty often), it's my pleasure to answer: "The good part about DSLR:s are - you can't go wrong. All brands and all models are very good and deliver high image quality. The difference in price are about other things. I can explain why I use Pentax, but the others are good too."
I didn't buy Pentax to be able to hang out on Steve's Pentax forum. But it really is a positive consequence of my choice.
Together we have kept this place clean from quarrels, aggression and pointless "debates".
In the classroom (I'm a teacher) I often refer to "my colleague Ira on Newfoundland tells..." or "my friend Harriet in California showed a picture of the brush fires" or "according to some mates I have in Perth..." and my students laugh and ask "Kjell, do you really have friends all over the world???!!!". And I relize I have! If nothing else will, this will keep me a Pentaxian. Proud to be a member of the gang.

Kjell
And don't forget your Redneck friend in Alabama!! LOL
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:05 PM   #15

I post to some other forums and there are good ones out there that have posters with many different brands and none of the vicious dumping that goes on at other forums. This is home to me. Thank you all my friends for making it so.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:18 PM   #16

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

One thing that I enjoy about this Pentax forum is that the folks here share a part of their everyday lives here through their travels, interests, talents, etc and not just engage in tech talk or complain about their gear. I never imagined myself to be one to hang out on an internet forum--but OMG...I've been loitering around here for 7+ years now!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:18 PM   #17

The part that I like the most about this forum is that when someone new asks a question they get an answer rather than "that's what the search button is for". I see that a lot in other forums and that is no way to treat someone who is asking for help.

Kenny

Last edited by Ex-Clerk; Oct 15, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:03 AM   #18

I firmly believe that having more than one system at any given time is not a bad thing. When I shot film the K1000 was my camera of choice for my "serious" photography, I guess what you might call art. The Minoltas, a 7000 and a 5000 were used for holiday snaps, weddings and other places where a faster camera was more useful. I own the three best first series Maxxum lenses (my opinion) the 35-70mm f4, the 50mm f1.7 and the 70-210mm f4 (crossed x model), so a Sony, such as the new a55 or a33 with the pellicle mirror could be a future addition.

I am also interested in an Olympus e-p1 with the 17mm f2.8 lens and optical viewfinder (sort of a poor man's Leica).

None of these however will lure me away from Pentax, simply give me more photographic options. I do not mention Nikon or Canon because I don't have starter lenses (like the Sony) and they don't offer something different (like the Olympus micro four thirds).

I am happy to say, as other have already, that I have made some real friends here. Other than Daniel I haven't gotten to actually meet you in person but the sharing here has gone well beyond most of my face-to-face acquaintances. I will stay with Pentax because it meets my needs, I have a substantial set of older lenses and I can't really afford to switch brands. I may supplement with a Sony or Olympus but financial pressures and this fine group of friends will keep me here.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Oct 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
And don't forget your Redneck friend in Alabama!! LOL
All were not mentioned, but no one is forgotten!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:11 AM   #20

there are other forums out there besides this one???
its great to have a place to meet like minded (sort of, sometimes lol ) people
and it is a credit to Steve and his team and of course to the members
i never hesitate to recommend this place to Pentaxians i meet around the place