Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:20 PM   #1

Default The lure of other brands

May sound maudlin but a good reason for staying with the Pentax brand is the attitude of Pentax users. Look around these forums and you will find that this one is the busiest and the friendliest. A DSLR experience is more than just speed and megapixels.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:04 PM   #2

Yes sir, You are so right!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:03 PM   #3

Yes, this form does have some of the nicest people. I'm really starting to like my K7, even with the noisy high ISO. I just bought noise ninja so now at least I can deal with it. Pentax does know how to build a real photographers camera.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:25 PM   #4

The grass can look better on the other side - doesn't always mean that it is. Occasionally when I'm frustrated I think that if I had bought (xyz brand) instead of Pentax, I wouldn't be frustrated. Then I go back and look at pictures I've taken with a previous camera that I may or may not still own and can see similarities between all of them, regardless of which camera took them. I then realize that I could spend a whole lot of money switching systems and my pictures would probably be very similar to what I'm taking now - the grass is NOT greener.

Having said that, I do realize that certain facets of photography are handled better by other brands, but those features aren't important for what I do. What I have does exactly what I love most extremely well.

Your point, Ira, about the folks here is very true, but I think it's more a reflection of those of us who hang out here - in other words, our little subset of Pentaxians. I've been lurking on another board that I'm not even registered for to see if someone on there gets a K5 first and posts about it. I am SO glad we aren't like them - I forgot my password for that board years ago and have NO desire to either re-register or have them send it to me. It's much more fun to hang out here and remember how Roy explained shooting macro to me, and Kjell or someone like that explained how to set the DS so I could use my old manual lenses. True, some of the people who were active back then moved on, but there's quite a few who have stuck around and become real friends.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:10 AM   #5

there is alot of negativity on some boards with every other post saying pentax is doomed or i'm switching to brand XYZ - i'm sure everyone here has considered switching brands but in the end like harriet i've descided it will make no real impact on my photography and jsut cost me alot of money and frankly pentax cameras when compared objectively are as good and in many cases better than the competition anyway

i think those not interested in stiring up trouble and shoot happily with what they have though are generally nice people no matter what brand they shoot with - we seem to be lucky here though that we have kept those people away somehow
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:44 AM   #6

Completely agree with you , this is one of (if not the) best places to hang out.

I've been subscribed in a lot of other places, especially because English is not my native language but have dropped them all.
Some of those are just unfriendly and some are even worse.

Don't think I will leave soon.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:27 AM   #7

I will have to say that this group is very open armed to those who come in and wish to share and learn..........I havent been here all that long relatively speaking. My number of posts is just getting close to the 200 mark, hardly a fraction of some here who have thousands! But coming here has very much a Cheers feel to it, folks genuinely know each other and walk with each other through ups and downs. Anyway I am glad that when I walk through those doors I feel welcomed here.........by the way has there ever been a Norm here?
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:49 AM   #8

Before the invasion of car brands from Asia there was always the Ford vs Chevy rivalry, which was usually just a lot of hot air, but if you owned a Rambler you just went quietly on your way. The Rambler owner knew that his car wasn't the fastest or most luxurious but it was just as good at what it was designed to do as anyone else's. Pentax is similar to that Rambler, it may not get a lot of respect from the others but it does get a lot of repeat owners because it does everything reasonably well and is reliable. Rambler owners probably felt some pride in the fact that they didn't always jump on the bandwagon.

Many of us have stuck with Pentax for similar reasons. Add to that the cost of replacing a set of lenses and accessories with a new system and it is not really an option for many of us. I also own a small Minolta Maxxum system so I do have the option of a SONY dSLR but nothing that they have built so far is sufficiently interesting to warrant that (at least at my price point, the a850/a900 full frame cameras are out of my price league). I may eventually buy another brand to supplement my Pentax system but I am not likely to abandon Pentax completely because it fulfills my photographic needs.

I guess Olympus can fit in that category as well.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:00 AM   #9

I have to add my comments to others. This is a very nice Pentax forum. I too have noticed other forums can have a very negative climate.

I enjoy photography very much....but I don't enjoy getting involved in some pretty pointless 'debates' that I see happening with frequency, on other forums.

Here it's a community of Pentaxians who enjoy photography and using Pentax gear. Other members are always more than willing to assist. Over the years I have had some difficulty with settings...as I'm not that technically minded. I've written , asking for assistance and within no time at all, have had several members write in with solutions.

I go out and photograph with friends who use other camera equipment and there is no real difference in the end result as far as quality of photograph.

It is a pleasure and privilege to belong to this Pentax forum.

BTW, Ira...you're quite right about the Ford vs Chevy analogy and little, old Rambler. In addition to being a camera enthusiast, I'm also a car enthusiast so I can relate well to this comparison.

Rambler did come out with some startling good high performance models like the Scrambler (390 V8) and the AMX 390-401 V8, which surprised a lot of high performance Chevy and Ford guys back in the late 60's-70.

I think that Pentax has done the same with the K10D, K20D, K7, KX and hopefully the new K5.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:04 AM   #10

Anytime I am asked the "what camera should I buy" question (happens pretty often), it's my pleasure to answer: "The good part about DSLR:s are - you can't go wrong. All brands and all models are very good and deliver high image quality. The difference in price are about other things. I can explain why I use Pentax, but the others are good too."
I didn't buy Pentax to be able to hang out on Steve's Pentax forum. But it really is a positive consequence of my choice.
Together we have kept this place clean from quarrels, aggression and pointless "debates".
In the classroom (I'm a teacher) I often refer to "my colleague Ira on Newfoundland tells..." or "my friend Harriet in California showed a picture of the brush fires" or "according to some mates I have in Perth..." and my students laugh and ask "Kjell, do you really have friends all over the world???!!!". And I relize I have! If nothing else will, this will keep me a Pentaxian. Proud to be a member of the gang.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote