Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:43 PM   #1

Default New backdrop.

I stopped by "Joann's Fabrics" Tuesday and found a deal on some fabric I thought would make a nice neutral background. Its a soft gray velvety material. I got a piece 58" X 144" for $12. They have quite a selection that would make good low cost backgrounds for your home studio.
I couldn't wait to try it out so. I took a small (3") apple snail's shell that I picked up at the lake and stuck it on a light stand. These were all taken quickly with just the pop-up flash and aren't meant to be anything special, just a quick look see at what the background would look like. I think I like it, what do you guys think?

#1, is F:27 #2 and 3 F:16

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2

The background looks good, your lighting arrangement needs some work (giggle, giggle, giggle). I must be getting to be more aware of things photographic - it wasn't all that long ago that I wouldn't have even noticed the shadow.

The velvet/soft pile probably helped keep the shadow softer than it might otherwise, and it also looks like you'll have to be careful with your distance/aperture - the first one looks like it could get a bit busy/distracting if you get it almost in focus. I like the second two better in that regard. A clever idea for a background - anyone who's a committed garage sale person (that's not me) could pick up excess fabric really cheaply.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:52 PM   #3

We have a couple of moving blankets we use for some photos...I also use velvets, or old fluffy gray sweatshirt from national park. Used a couple of hats, a plate, wood, etc.

I would like to see what your fabric 'really' looks like.

It is easy to miss a shadow when shooting, huh, you get so into the object...
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:40 AM   #4

GW, it looks good to me. Sorta gives ne a feel of a B&W where the snail has been colored and the backround left black and white......
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:35 PM   #5

LOL. yeah, the shadow is pretty obvious, I figured I get rib about it. I just didn't take the time to mess with lights.
Just wanted to see what the cloth would look like. Here is a shot taken with a 28mm lens to give a better idea of the pattern, its kind of a crushed velvet look. still not lit properly but, the best I can do on quick notice.

Hey Lisa, Thank you for your comments. I saw your post earlier regarding my motto, Life's a breeze on a Goldwing... mine, is an 85 Aspencade, just turned over 60.000 and still running like new.

Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:54 PM   #6

looks great GW, Ive been using the brown silk curtain that sits conveniently behind my table
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:17 AM   #7

nice backround GW
the snail shells a bit ummm

if i want a black backgound i have an old dress jacket that seems to have shrunk (and i have never washed it, go figure)
for a portrait backdrop i went to a curtain shop and bought curtain backing material in an off white colour its at least 2 metres wide and 10 meters long and was reasonably cheap
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:45 PM   #8

Interesting John. I have just started to play around with creating backgrounds and the effect they have on the subject. Cheapskate that I am, I am using jumpers from my wardrobe for my macro subjects, wife refuses to let me borrow hers though.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:25 PM   #9

I am using jumpers from my wardrobe for my macro subjects, wife refuses to let me borrow hers though.[/QUOTE]

What? !!! Time to trade her in on a new model!

Last edited by Goldwinger; Oct 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:29 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input guys.
I know a lot of us make due with makeshift items where we can and I don't think there is a thing wrong with saving money where you can. The one place you can't cut corners, is on a good lens so, we might as well save it where we can so, we can but that glass!