Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:06 PM   #1

Default any early adopters here?

seeing reports on other forums of people gleefully jumping up and down giggling like little girls with there new shiny k-5's - wondered if we got any here? =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:57 PM   #2

Hi John,

I've been one in the past, but the apparent confusion about pricing in the US has forced me to pause this time. Perhaps Nikon has thrown a wrench into the works with the D7000 pricing. . . or maybe Hoya is trying to balance US pricing of this model against discrepancies in the past Re: Aus, Europe, and even Canada. . .Whatever, I think some smoke needs to settle.

I'm not one to wait until the price reaches its lowest point, but in this case, I can see the possibility of a significant adjustment ($200-300) relatively quickly (within a month or two). I already have the cash saved, and think that even at the intro price, the upgrades are worth the expense for my purposes, but I'll wait a bit this time. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:52 PM   #3

i'm still saving after buying the 60-250mm f4 so will be a couple months yet before i'm in a position to buy it hopefully might be a small drop in price by then but in the uk we normally end up paying more for things so wont be surprised if our pricing sticks =( but it does look impressive with apparently massive improvements in autofocus speed accuracy and low light performance - same for high iso low light - its certainly a tempting package
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:11 PM   #4

I've been on the fence about this camera - I didn't quite believe that you could increase the number of mp and increase the dynamic range while decreasing the noise. I've been an early adopter of most of the cameras so far, and was a bit taken aback with the dynamic range of the K20 (my K10 had focusing issues and was out of warranty, and I was very happy with the K20 overall). I've been very happy with the cameras I have and really don't need another one. So when it was announced I was more tempted by the Kr - I had really wanted a Kx but couldn't quite justify it. But now, after having seen the initial pictures posted with the K5, I'm getting convinced that I'd get the upgrade in image quality I'm looking for with the K5. I still want to see some of the professional reviews before I buy one, so it's probably a good thing our cars have been eating up all our un-dedicated money the past couple of months. I sure would love to have a K5 right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5

I have read the discussions and now observations so far and it looks like a very substantial improvement across the board in just about all respects. In the upper reaches of ISO certainly (only once went above 400, to 3200 for keepers), but I am more interested in the lower ISO (I would really like to see a kodacrome asa 25 equivalent capability, but ISO 80 on my LX3 is great!). Auto focus speed and accuracy appears to be the difference in night and day, along with the level of ambient light it can operate in (even without the assist lamp). Just read about the screwdrive AF locking (drives right to focus and stops perfectly). I even read that the DFS is able to be turned off - which would save me a LOT of time (I take a frame and then stand there hearing the Jeopardy tune in my mind). The only negative I have come across is the remote tethering (I even bought a netbook to use for this on my K20).

Yesterday I just retrieved my truck from the repair shop. Had to evict a family of pack rats from my truck's air cleaner. They set up a household in the engine compartment, and chewed through the distributor wiring, coil and started on the fuel injector lines. $1,800 + change and I drive the truck every day.

That's life for living out in Tumbleweed country - the Great Sonoran Desert. So with two sons in college, its going to be a while till I go for a new body.

The K20 just had its guts replaced by Pentax under warranty, so essentially I have a new camera with 7k shutter operations. Its not like I am Ansel Adams, but I do have to admit I learned a lot with the K100 over 3 years, and my skills took a large jump with the K20 (the improved controls are really very nice). I can certainly see a K5 or something like it in my future (and it would need to be Pentax since I am not interested in reacquiring new lenses - I like the ones I have). I do have to say that after getting the K20 and using it a bit, I felt a bit guilty of getting it and not staying with the K100 - but that very quickly passed.

The K7's physical ergonomics coupled with all the improvements of the Kx, plus all the additional functional and technical upgrades rolled in to the K5 does make it a pretty compelling body. It looks like Pentax actually hit on 99.9% of the items on this.

I almost had the cash, then "acquired" a K 28 shift lens that put a dent in the camera fund. If I were pushing the capabilities envelope of the K20, then I would have a much better upgrade argument (with myself). But there are so many things I have yet to do with the K20 I feel I can easily wait. So it will be a while.

Last edited by interested_observer; Oct 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:17 PM   #6

yeah reading all the stuff from people testing out the k5 it sounds very very tempting - i think i'm pretty likely to get one now but since i dont have enough cash right now - will give it a chance to get some proffesional reviews done before i drop that mcuh money on it
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:53 PM   #7

The 60-250/4 is next to be followed by a 17-50 2.8. Then I'll start saving for the K5 by which time (January) the price should have come down and settled. I asked my favourite dealer here in Shanghai the price and she said US$1,500 and it will be in the end of this month.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote