Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:25 PM   #31

Ken Rockwell can be quite opinionated and a little overbearing at times but, when he is right he certainly is right. The two biggest influences from his writing (for me) have been:

1- Put a lens on the camera, leave the rest home and go take pictures.
2- Keep things simple, go for the greatest impact in a shot and let the camera take care of the details.

I think that sums up what works best for me. When I take several lenses I end up using my time thinking about what lens I should use instead of what image should I find in this scene. And the images that have been successful for me are always the ones that make a statement as a thumbnail so that people want to see it full size.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:34 PM   #32

A very good topic. I think for me - #1 the availability of the instant gratification I got an image, or didn't, by going digital. This has been even more apparent in the past year as my husband bought me a Pentax film camera last year for Christmas. (I had asked for it.) The intent was for me to use it for black and white and do my own developing. So many times I find myself taking a picture with it and immediately looking at the back to see if the histogram is right. Darn! But, I do still love the anticipation as I develop a roll and the satisfaction when they don't turn out solid black or white. It just comes a roll at a time, rather than an image at a time.

#2 would be this forum. I used to just post in the biweekly challenge forum and would just visit here in the Pentax forum. I was afraid to post here as the images were way beyond my abilities. But, over time, I got the courage to post and feel I have improved from the feedback I get on my images and from seeing others images. It reminds me that there is more than just the landscape to photograph. I can take closeups of the leaves in the trees. The Pentax forum has given me the knowledge to know what might help an image I have in my mind. I find myself more and more lately, stopping and looking at what I'm composing before pushing the button.

As many of you know, I currently have (somewhat) more time to take to work on my photography. That is one thing I wish I did have more of. I'm a ways from retirement age, but this is giving me a taste of what it could be like. Freedom, like today, to go drive around town and photograph the trees. Not have to wait until the weekend, or make sure I get home before dark, or leave at the crack of dawn so I can get to work on time. So, something I still need more of.

I think someone said something about wanting to be an artist - painter, sculpture..... I, too, have felt that pull, but have absolutely no talent when it comes to those things. But, I feel I can express myself artistictly with my photography. No draining of the cost of film, developing, etc going digital has allowed me to experiment. And, I love to experiment.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I think the biggest help to my photography was stepping outside my comfort zone - getting good, honest critique from people that shot what I shot, regardless of what system I or they shot with.

Doing work for newspaper and other clients - helps open up your mind that others have a different idea of "good" than you do - and it isn't always about technical superiority that we as photographers sometimes get hung up on - i.e. making the technically great, but boring photo.
JohnG - Can I ever relate to both these points! Each time I try something new I learn something that can help me with what I do best (landscape, nature).

And your point about a technically great but boring photo is something I struggle with constantly. I'm pretty well versed on basic technical aspects of photography but often can't manage to pull it all together to take a really GOOD picture. That takes far more than just knowing what kinds of effects aperture and shutter speed will have on a scene. It's knowing HOW to use these things effectively.

Posting pictures and getting feedback is the best way I know to get better at this part of photography.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Ken Rockwell can be quite opinionated and a little overbearing at times but, when he is right he certainly is right. The two biggest influences from his writing (for me) have been:

1- Put a lens on the camera, leave the rest home and go take pictures.
2- Keep things simple, go for the greatest impact in a shot and let the camera take care of the details.

I think that sums up what works best for me. When I take several lenses I end up using my time thinking about what lens I should use instead of what image should I find in this scene. And the images that have been successful for me are always the ones that make a statement as a thumbnail so that people want to see it full size.
I've done that some times...I find it disciplines me to look for potential pictures that I can enhance with the lens that I have on the camera and no access to other lenses.

Of course I find myself saying (to myself) gee...I wish I had brought this (other) lens.

I find that the two lenses I really like restrict myself to on a singular basis...are either my Pentax 10-17 Fisheye, or my Pentax 12-24mm.

I find the Fish eye 10-17mm really forces me to think outside the envelope...after a session with this lens....I find my brain sometimes hurts ...but it does force me to utilize all personal photographic skills....limited as they may be.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
A very good topic. I think for me - #1 the availability of the instant gratification I got an image, or didn't, by going digital. This has been even more apparent in the past year as my husband bought me a Pentax film camera last year for Christmas. (I had asked for it.) The intent was for me to use it for black and white and do my own developing. So many times I find myself taking a picture with it and immediately looking at the back to see if the histogram is right. Darn! But, I do still love the anticipation as I develop a roll and the satisfaction when they don't turn out solid black or white. It just comes a roll at a time, rather than an image at a time.

#2 would be this forum. I used to just post in the biweekly challenge forum and would just visit here in the Pentax forum. I was afraid to post here as the images were way beyond my abilities. But, over time, I got the courage to post and feel I have improved from the feedback I get on my images and from seeing others images. It reminds me that there is more than just the landscape to photograph. I can take closeups of the leaves in the trees. The Pentax forum has given me the knowledge to know what might help an image I have in my mind. I find myself more and more lately, stopping and looking at what I'm composing before pushing the button.

As many of you know, I currently have (somewhat) more time to take to work on my photography. That is one thing I wish I did have more of. I'm a ways from retirement age, but this is giving me a taste of what it could be like. Freedom, like today, to go drive around town and photograph the trees. Not have to wait until the weekend, or make sure I get home before dark, or leave at the crack of dawn so I can get to work on time. So, something I still need more of.

I think someone said something about wanting to be an artist - painter, sculpture..... I, too, have felt that pull, but have absolutely no talent when it comes to those things. But, I feel I can express myself artistictly with my photography. No draining of the cost of film, developing, etc going digital has allowed me to experiment. And, I love to experiment.

Patty
Photography has really allowed me to work at my artistic side. My wife doesn't take many pictures...but she has a better 'artistic photographer's eye' than I will ever have.

She's a natural...where I have to work at it. But it doesn't discourage me, if anything it makes me look more closely at the scene, to think about composition, how to improve.

One thing I miss about film days is my old Mamiya Medium Format. It has a waist level finder and because of the camera weight and size I generally mount it on a tripod.

With the WL finder open and the camera supported on a tripod...I could / can compose my picture at my leisure.

Your point about loving to experiment is well taken. I've been doing that a lot more with digital, than I did with film...think it's mostly because I don't worry about film and film development costs...also the immediacy of being able to see an image with digital. Also, I can see right away whether the 'experiment' works.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I find that the two lenses I really like restrict myself to on a singular basis...are either my Pentax 10-17 Fisheye, or my Pentax 12-24mm.

I find the Fish eye 10-17mm really forces me to think outside the envelope...after a session with this lens....I find my brain sometimes hurts ...but it does force me to utilize all personal photographic skills....limited as they may be.
I find that the 10-17mm is a surprisingly useful lens, when I bought it it was because I had some extra cash and wanted to get something I knew I wouldn't buy normally. I had expected it to be fun in a pointless sort of way, but it wasn't. I really like it, at 17mm the distortion is tolerable and used carefully produces very usable images.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
JohnG - Can I ever relate to both these points! Each time I try something new I learn something that can help me with what I do best (landscape, nature).

And your point about a technically great but boring photo is something I struggle with constantly. I'm pretty well versed on basic technical aspects of photography but often can't manage to pull it all together to take a really GOOD picture. That takes far more than just knowing what kinds of effects aperture and shutter speed will have on a scene. It's knowing HOW to use these things effectively.

Posting pictures and getting feedback is the best way I know to get better at this part of photography.
I don't post my photo's ( still learning ) on the forum, but I do agree with you that the expert feedback one get's from other photographers is invaluable.

I have some photographer friends that go out as a group , in my city.

A lot of the time, we are taking pictures of the same subject and with the advent of digital...find we are comparing the images on our monitors...talk about immediacy of response.

We're good enough friends that we give an unvarnished opinion...we don't hold back.

It can sometimes be a bit of a crucible of fire ...but the expert input is the best.

In comparison when I show pictures to non photographer friends, a lot of the response, albeit well intentioned is usually restricted to the well that's a nice picture. Very nice to hear...but I think most of us at this forum prefer to hear a more analytic assessment of our work.

Les
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:41 PM   #38

Quote:
I find that the 10-17mm is a surprisingly useful lens, when I bought it it was because I had some extra cash and wanted to get something I knew I wouldn't buy normally. I had expected it to be fun in a pointless sort of way, but it wasn't. I really like it, at 17mm the distortion is tolerable and used carefully produces very usable images.

My reasons for buying the 10-17 FE, mirror your experience. I'm really quite pleased...more pleased than I thought I would be with this lens.

Another reason (big) was that the late Bert Keppler...long time editor with Modern and Popular Photography magazines....always was a big fan of the Pentax fisheye lens. In one of his last columns he spoke quite highly of the Pentax 10-17mm and it was through reading about his interest and views of it, that initially spurred me on to checking this unusual lens out.

Les
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post

Another reason (big) was that the late Bert Keppler...long time editor with Modern and Popular Photography magazines....always was a big fan of the Pentax fisheye lens. In one of his last columns he spoke quite highly of the Pentax 10-17mm and it was through reading about his interest and views of it, that initially spurred me on to checking this unusual lens out.

Les
I finally found a very old copy of Keppler's book "The Pentax Way" at a yard sale last summer. It was an edition that just came up to the original K-mount cameras, the KM, KX and K2 from the mid 1970s. I always enjoyed reading his columns. Keppler's column in Popular photography and Peter Egan's column in Road&Track were my favourites.

Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:14 PM   #40

Quote:
I finally found a very old copy of Keppler's book "The Pentax Way" at a yard sale last summer. It was an edition that just came up to the original K-mount cameras, the KM, KX and K2 from the mid 1970s. I always enjoyed reading his columns. Keppler's column in Popular photography and Peter Egan's column in Road&Track were my favourites.
Ira,

We have a lot in common in our reading tastes...I've got The Pentax Way, had it for many years...great book.

I'm also a fan of Peter Egan's columns in both R + T and Cycle World. He has published books with his collected columns from both magazines. I have a number of his books...great writer.

Les