Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Why I like my K-x and the DAL 55-300mm

Other than the soccer pic, the rest of these were taken yesterday evening. All were shot handheld, even the moon at full zoom. Some HDR PP on the mushroom and landscape, but the rest are straight out. (Some w/ cropping and all with resizing. These are all beautifully crisp at full size.) I love this K-x and lens combination...
Attached Images

mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvh View Post
Other than the soccer pic, the rest of these were taken yesterday evening. All were shot handheld, even the moon at full zoom. Some HDR PP on the mushroom and landscape, but the rest are straight out. (Some w/ cropping and all with resizing. These are all beautifully crisp at full size.) I love this K-x and lens combination...
Nice pics!! love the sunset pic...a question though, could you attach the exifs?...
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:53 AM   #3

Quite a diversity of subjects & moods - nicely done! Great mood in the sunset with grasses, fine action in the soccer shot, and great illustration of the puffball.

PS - if you want to maintain that great crispness of image when resizing, you might want to apply some sharpening after resizing...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
Nice pics!! love the sunset pic...a question though, could you attach the exifs?...
Thanks. It was the versatility of this combination I was mainly highlighting.
As for the EXIF, I'm still pretty new w/ this DSLR and paying attention to EXIF. I see that it was only saved on the puffball and landscape pics, but got stripped on the rest. Those were the 2 I ran through AutoHDR which I had also set to resize down during the processing to the 1024 max allowed on this site. So, when I resized the others, something happened... But the versions on my computer which I uploaded all have the EXIF data attached. Did it get stripped when I uploaded? Is there some other way to "attach the EXIFs"?
I did some searching on this forum and found out about the Firefox plugins and the PhotoME program.

In any case, using PhotoME, here's the EXIF for the sunset w/ weeds pic:
[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
File type: JPEG
File size: 293.7 KB
Creation date: 10/19/2010 18:12
Last modification: 10/20/2010 00:39
Make: PENTAX (http://www.pentax.com)
Camera: PENTAX K-x
Lens: Unknown DA or DA* lens (Id: 7 216)
Software: K-x Ver 1.01
Dimension: 1024 x 680 px (0.7 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 210 mm (equiv. 315 mm)
Aperture: F7.1
Exposure time: 1/4000" (-2 EV)
ISO speed rating: 200/24
Program: Scene Mode
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: 18
Image Stabilizer: stabilized
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5

I used a different program (IRFANVIEW) for resizing. Let's see if that preserved the EXIF.
Hmmm... I just checked and still no EXIF. I did remember to check "Save EXIF details" when I saved it in IRFANVIEW, and I can see the EXIF data on the file on my computer which I uploaded. Am I doing something wrong when uploading?
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:17 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvh View Post
...Am I doing something wrong when uploading?
Yes. If you exceed the maximum allowed sizes for either dimension or file size, the forums software will still try to let you attach the image to a post here. But, it will attempt to resize it, then recompress it (which can result in softer images), and strip out the EXIF info.

When you use the Manage Attachments feature to upload a photo, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes listed.

The longest side of the image dimensions should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes). Otherwise, the forums software is going to resize/recompress the images and strip out the EXIF info.

When using Irfanview to resize an image, make sure the longest side is 1024 pixels or less. Then, tweak the JPEG Quality slider you'll see when using the "Save As" choice until the file size is no larger than 253.9KB.

Usually, if you use an image size of around 800 pixels on it's longest side, a slider setting of around 85% will keep the file size within limits. With a larger image, you may have to use a bit more compression (try 80% quality if the file size is too large).

As long as the image is within the maximum allowed sizes you'll see when using the attachment manager (paper clip icon) to upload an image, the forums software will not modify it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:33 AM   #7

Irfan view also has an option to save to a predetermined file size, and will adjust the compression to fit. (if you have installed all the plugins along with Irfanview)
If you use a quality number, the file size varies based on the amount of fine detail in the picture.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:48 PM   #8

I must be into silhouettes tonight. I really like the two silhouetted shots. Just lovely.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:35 PM   #9

Really good results, the combination is surely working for you.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:14 AM   #10

Thank you all, both for the compliments and the suggestions.
@JimC: You did indeed identify the problem. I had set the maximum pixel lengths, but I failed to check the file size. All the ones I uploaded that were larger than 253Kb had the EXIF stripped.
@VTphotog: So, I did I you suggested. I installed the "riot.dll" plugin for Irfanview which allows me to set a desired file size.
So, let me try another one. I was using the "sports" mode and using the fast capture. The pic is, of course, the initial shot with overlays of subsequent action. Another reason to love my KX and the long zoom!
Attached Images