Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Default Tunnel Leading to the Slopes

Hiya! Here is a photo I took in a long tunnel or cave. It was very dark inside and so there was quite a dynamic range. Really, really wished I had a tripod with me.

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Cool photo, Ned!
I love to explore caves.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:13 PM   #3

Lovely shot! A picture like this has atmosphere because you are in no doubt that you are looking out through a tunnel. The other option for this shot would be to shoot a bracketed set and make an HDR using software - Photomatix does handle aligning hand-held shots pretty well when doing it by autobracket. But sometimes that added dynamic range/detail detracts from a scene like this. Best thing to do is shoot it both ways, process the HDR and toss it out if you don't like it. Why I love digital!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:17 PM   #4

Thanks Harriet! Would have liked to do that, but this place was so dark, walking through it with my family. They didn't want to stay too long. I would have loved to try the HDR route, but I have to get a good tripod first. I also wish I had some sort of tarp or something get closer to the ground... I also wish I had time to experiment with different settings. Thanks and glad you liked it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:38 PM   #5

great shot! Do you mean you wish you did a bracketed shot to expose the inside of the cave as well? I actually think the image works better with the black insides as it not only frames the shot, but also reveals a very cool perspective and location to the scenery. Well done! One of the coolest naturally framed shots Ive seen!!!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
great shot! Do you mean you wish you did a bracketed shot to expose the inside of the cave as well? I actually think the image works better with the black insides as it not only frames the shot, but also reveals a very cool perspective and location to the scenery. Well done! One of the coolest naturally framed shots Ive seen!!!
Hiya!

I was thinking that I wish I could have gotten better details of the foreground the cave (not the ceiling and walls so much). Also, I would have loved to have two pictures... one to serve as layer of the cave, the other for the green scenery outside. An experiement with HDR would be interesting, too. But, got to get the tripod first.

Glad you like the shot's perspective and framing. Thanks for your kind feedback.

Ned

OH, here is what I hope is a slightly improved version of the previous photo. The green trees, etc., show more detail.