Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:41 PM   #11

Paying attention to the technical fundamentals (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, etc.) is certainly important, but that only goes so far. I pay attention to the technicals, but I don't have an artist's eye. So i often produce nicely exposed, mediocre photos. My wife understands little of the technical side of photography, but she has a wonderful eye for image composition. She routinely gets much nicer images than I do, even tough her images are often over- or under-exposed, especially in tricky lighting situations.

It's not terribly difficult to learn the technical end of photography, but I don't have any idea how to learn to see like an artist. I've been noodling around with photography for about 35 years, and I still produce mediocre images. I can't speak for others, but that's why I'm not a better photographer.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post

Keith, perhaps you should leave the big Samsung for photo expeditions and get a little snapshot camera for the rest of the time.
Hi Ira

I've actually done that already. I bought a Pentax Optio M50; which I always carry with me. Well, when I say always I really mean when I'm carrying my work laptop bag. Really must remember to take it with me when I'm not taking the Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post

"If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got."
I like it! Time to learn from my mistakes
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:54 PM   #13

Recognizing your shortcomings is the first step.

You are halfway there.

Doing something about is is the next.

Now start on the second half.

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:22 PM   #14

I just went to a Drum Dancing practice, I took 644 images none of which are worth keeping except as a record of being there. The moral of the story is, even those 644 useless pictures taught me a lot because I can see the potential in some of them. Next time I will bring a longer lens and go for faces and a video camera to record the dance (I don't own a KX yet). I learned a lot about dealing with mixed lighting and proper exposure, using manual greatly improved the technical quality of the images.

Was it a waste of time, definitely not. Did I learn anything, most certainly. Do I have any images to show for it, well maybe I can salvage something. Would I do this again, in a heartbeat. Did I have fun, YES.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:59 PM   #15

Boy, does a lot of this string ring true with me! Like Patty, I often forget to change settings - particularly focus points. Like the OP, I often find myself rushed (a lot of it due to impatient relatives) and prone to being sloppy. But the truth is, I may just be getting lazy.

Now, earlier, this year, I began taking my Panasonic LX3 to family gatherings, so I can simply crack off some quick but reasonably high-quality snapshots and not annoy anyone. If I'm really in a lazy mood, I can even leave it in Intelligent Auto and still get decent results. But I have additional control if I want it and the results seem fine for the purpose.

But I think I'm going to take a queue from some others... I've ordered the new DA 35mm f/2.4 for my K200D and I already have the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake for my Panasonic G1. I think I'm going to go on a few photo missions equipped only with the the primes - just like I used to shoot with nothing but a Rokkor-X 50mm f/2.0 on my old 100% manual Minolta SRT-200. And I can turn the dial to M on my current cameras. Maybe I can recapture some of the magic by forcing myself to take a more considered approach to photography.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:35 PM   #16

Some of the best pictures I have ever taken were with a Pentax K1000 and an M 50mm f1.7 lens.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:06 PM   #17

Love this thread cause it is what I have been thinking for a long time. Even find that I don't post much thinking others will say "man what were you thinking".

I agree with others in this thread. Like trying to write well you have to set aside the time to do nothing but that and than try. As a family man with all the other stuff I like to do setting aside the time is hard but, like others have said that is when you really learn and grow.

Not there to take pictures there to use the camera.

Than again you are probably 10 times better than me just shooting
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote