Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:14 AM   #21

Was planning a lot of night photography on my holiday, so the K5 would have been awesome for this. If I only held out for a few more weeks I could have diverted some of my holiday funds to make up the difference between selling my K7 and buying a new K5.

Oh well, this time tomorrow I will be sat in the departure lounge, so I am not too sad!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Oh well, this time tomorrow I will be sat in the departure lounge, so I am not too sad!
Oi, mate! Have nice holiday!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:23 PM   #23

Thanks fella, didn't take many photo's when I was last in Japan, going to go all out this trip.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:12 PM   #24

I'm very impressed!
Now all I got to do is hope for a large tax refund check this year!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:01 PM   #25

wow!!!! I'M TOTALLY impressed.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:36 AM   #26

Trying to use topaz on original size:
ISO 20000, resize only

ISO 20000, resize + denoise

ISO 20000, 100% crop

ISO 20000, 100% crop + denoise
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:30 AM   #27

see there is to be a new firmware for the k5 soon which will increase the raw buffer from 8 frames at iso 100 to 20 frames - jsut when i had descided to stay with my k-7 for now too =( suddenly k5 is seriously tempting me again and see its high iso performance does make me wanna head over to amazon and hit one click buy it now =) but must resist temptation
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:16 AM   #28

Hi folks.

This old Pentax SLR owner of years past has been RESISTING the temptation to jump into the DSLR market so far, opting, instead, to go with the best of the megazoom P&S cameras (first two Panasonic Lumix: FZ10, then FZ30 -- probably still the closest to a PRO model I've bought; then, in the past year or so, a Canon IS SX20, followed by the SX30, which has a 35x zoom on it, but is DOG slow if you want to do BURST shooting -- that FZ30 would do almost 4 FPS, the SX30 barely exceeds 1 FPS).

Anyway, since I've been getting more active again, I also bought some books and found some features (other than high F-stop numbers) that just DON'T exist in my cameras that got me sorta "itchin'" to get into DSLRs, but I was leaning towards Canon -- especially since I'd already bought a higher-end Canon dedicated flash to go with my two SXes. HOWEVER, when doing a search for certain features here, PENTAX popped up and REMINDED ME that I DO still have a hard case with Pentax autofocus lenses in it, including a 50 1.4 and a 135 2.8, plus a high-end Pentax dedicated flash that would even strobe up to 20X per second...

So I thought WHY should I start over with lenses and all with a NEW brand IF Pentax has a DSLR good enough to meet my standards (i.e., in the range of the Canon 7D or Nikon D7000). When I looked for Steve's Digicams reviews, there WERE NONE, however. But when I went to Pentax's website, I found the K5, and it looks like they've just FINALLY done it, based on this thread (I wonder WHY this site has yet to review this camera???).

Think I'm gonna look for an "official review" or two, just to make sure there isn't anything we've overlooked. But so far, this is looking like an excellent compromise, and while I kind of WAS looking forward to finally having the "prestige" of being a Canon of Nikon DSLR shooter (I may try to sell some of my work -- used to co-publish a weekly paper and have published LOTS of my own pics in the past -- MANY big publications are VERY partial to Canon and/or Nikon), I still firmly believe that if your pics are good enough, they sell themselves.

Oh, and I, too, would like to thank Armadilloshield for all the time and trouble you went to in order to share your experience and thoughts about this new camera with the rest of us.

Happy Shooting!
Jeff Hayes
JeffAHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:24 AM   #29

Hi Jeff, looks like you have a great lense (50/1.4) to go with whatever other lenses you choose. There are a number of reviews out there (just Google and start reading them) and there is a unanimous big thumbs up. The high ISO is sensational (for me coming from a K7) and I will use up to 6,400 without any worries at all that I can't clean it up if needs be. Definitely brings life to older & slower lenses, almost no need for f2.8 for low light now - just use your f4 / f5.6 and up the ISO !

I've just posted a shot in another thread (Valentine's Day) of my wife, taken at 1,600 that I didn't run through any noise reduction software even though taken indoors and in the evening.

Those 3 cameras are all great cameras and TBH it really depends on what type of shooting you are going to do - there are pros / cons to each. I'd start a new thread if you want more opinions on that comparison specifically.

As far as the K5 goes - it is everything I wanted/needed and more. Some people may comment on Nikon / Canon's AF being a touch faster, but the K5 keeps up with everything I've thrown at it (BIF etc.) without even a hint that it's nearing it's limit. Wonderful camera.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Feb 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote