Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:22 PM   #31

Besides Photography....

Before my knees got bad.....

Dancing. A hybrid of Ballroom and Country and Western dancing. Competed for a short while at the National Level.

Cycling. I used to ride Road bikes. My last one was a 16#, Carbon Fibre Bike.

My bad knees don't allow me to do either of those any longer.

Private Pilot. I've held a Private Pilot Certificate for about 32 years. Another thing that health issues curtailed.

Ham Radio Operator. My first real Hobby. Got my first license in 1960. I'm a Morse Code buff.

And, finally, before I decided to start photographing them. Watching, and enjoying it, all of the members of the Opposite sex.

Pentax K1000, A50 f/1.7, M135 f/3.5, A70-210 F/4

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:15 PM   #32

My life pretty much consists of commute, work, commute, sleep. Eat every so often.

When gas was cheap we'd do some easy 4-wheeling, but haven't done any in a couple of years.

When I had a dog I'd day-hike every weekend. Now I'll go out about once a month, but it's much harder to get motivated to go.

We travel and sightsee as much as we can manage. But my only real hobby now is photography.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:38 PM   #33

well, my hobbies were (before kids) to do Kickboxing, was training every day!

but now, my life is mostly, work, kids, dog, wife! but we all like to do camping, and walking in the forest or on the beach!
so I love my life anyway!

and i also like motorcycles, had a TTR600 until last year, now I use a 100cc scooter to commute to work...but it is actually quite fun riding a scooter! my next vehicle might be a 300cc scooter or a Kawasaki ER6 perhaps
Otherwise computers is kinda my thing
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)

Last edited by CyberTron; Oct 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:22 PM   #34

Interesting mix of hobbies we have here. About the only other thing I do much any more besides photography is genealogy.

Over the years I have been into cross-stitching, embroidery, being involved in my son's school to the point of being on the school board and committee member and scout leader in his cub and boy scout troops when he was in school. Oh, I also started up and coordinated our local Odyssey of the Mind program for quite a few years and coached a team every year. Those years that's about all I got done. Now, when I'm working, just trying to find time to take photos and find time to process them. I really need to spend some time going through what I've already taken. So, am enjoying my time out on short-term disability now to be able to spend some more time doing the things I love when I am feeling well.

Never enough hours in the day to do all my interests. My husband goes fly fishing and ties his own flies. I've done a few and am so tempted at times to get into it, but that would take away from my photography! I try hard to limit myself to fewer things now.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:57 PM   #35

When I read Eddy's post I realized I forgot to mention that before my back got so bad that I had to quit, I used to be into Line Dancing big time, I taught 3 classes a week and danced every weekend for the fun of it. Also did a little swing, two step, and couples dance. I also choreographed several line dances and even performed one of them with my dance group at a weekend shindig in a town near by where I held one of my classes. It was a ton of fun, and kept me in shape. I also DJ'd for parties and had collection of over 4000 songs to select from. I wish I could have kept it up.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:15 PM   #36

Many years ago I used to hike as much as I could, and although I never got good at it, I loved technical rock and ice climbing. More recently, I've enjoyed kayaking in warm weather, and snowshoeing and snowboarding in the winter. I also like fishing, though I'm not at all good at it.

For the past several years, I have served on my town's selectboard, and while that's not really a hobby, it demands a lot of time and energy. When my term expires (two and half years from now) I'm not sure if I'll run for re-election.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
well, my hobbies were (before kids) to do Kickboxing, was training every day!

and i also like motorcycles, had a TTR600 until last year, now I use a 100cc scooter to commute to work...but it is actually quite fun riding a scooter! my next vehicle might be a 300cc scooter or a Kawasaki ER6 perhaps
Otherwise computers is kinda my thing
I ride most days and have a '06 er6n, the stand out orange colour, a very nice little bike it is.
A life time ago we had a small Kawasaki Dealership and I'm reasonably sure we sold the last triple sold in Australia, a blue 250 I believe.
I had a friend who worked in a Yamaha Dealership in Melbourne. One of the most memorable few hour's(it seemed anyway) was spent at his work watching him slid a SR500 around the tiled floor of the showroom as he tried to start the 500, all the time telling the potential customer, a slightly built young lady how easily the new offering from Japan was to start.

I also play a set of Roland drums in a couple of bangs, the most rehearsed is called "VM" and is a Van Morrison Tribute band. http://vmtribute.com/.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:19 AM   #38

Before retirement my main interests were travel in and out of the US, mostly the Caribbean and a little Europe, computers and Digital cameras. I started with a Ricoh 640 X 480 in 1996 and have been using mostly Canon P$S for the past 14 years. lately I have been working to update my cottage inside and out including building an 18 hole Frisbee golf course. I plan to start working on my 85 Mustang GT Conv. I have recently taken up target shooting (long gun and hand gun) just to exercise my rights in the US. I started with Pentax in the 70's with a ME, ME Super and a P30 with a few lenses. The K2000 is my first DSLR but I am looking at the KR. I always carry my Canon SD990 on a belt case am still having a hard time taking a larger camera.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:30 PM   #39

I'm joining this string late... but I'm a lifelong gearhead - a big fan of cars, trucks, motorcycles and planes. At this stage of my life (age 53), I don't drive anything all that impressive, but my Subaru Impreza Outback Sport is at least interesting to me in a technical sense and still fun to drive. I do, however, still own a BMW R1150R motorcycle. It seems as though I have a fondness for horizontally opposed engines.

Auto racing is a logical extension of the above interest and I continue to follow the sport. I even raced SCCA Showroom Stock and Formula Ford 1600 briefly in the 1970s. I continue to be a big fan of Formula 1, LeMans-type sport-prototype racing, Indy Cars and World Rally. NASCAR never really floated my boat - although it was fun living a few blocks away from Daytona International Speedway in the 1980s.

I'm also a big fan of music and film (especially classic films)... and my home collection of LPs, CDs and DVDs is a constant source of alternating amusement, pride and irritation for my family.

And then there's communications. I had an extremely early interest in listening to the radio - particularly DXing or the intentional reception of distant radio stations at night. That progressed to amateur (or ham) radio and then to a career in radio and television news. I was even part owner of a radio station with some friends in the 1980s. Alas, most of what's heard on commercial radio in the U.S. these days fails to garner much interest from me.

Last edited by Biro; Oct 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by simowills View Post
I ride most days and have a '06 er6n, the stand out orange colour, a very nice little bike it is.
A life time ago we had a small Kawasaki Dealership and I'm reasonably sure we sold the last triple sold in Australia, a blue 250 I believe.
I had a friend who worked in a Yamaha Dealership in Melbourne. One of the most memorable few hour's(it seemed anyway) was spent at his work watching him slid a SR500 around the tiled floor of the showroom as he tried to start the 500, all the time telling the potential customer, a slightly built young lady how easily the new offering from Japan was to start.your story brought a smile and a chuckle....there are..if I remember 5 pages of starting instructions for my SR 500...when I first got it, I had trouble getting that big single to fire...but, for the last 32 years, 3 months...I've had the 'knack'...also the fact that I'm 235 lbs 'helps' when it comes to jumping down on the kick start lever...

I also play a set of Roland drums in a couple of bangs, the most rehearsed is called "VM" and is a Van Morrison Tribute band. http://vmtribute.com/.

Simon
-Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote