Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   A Waterfall (especially for GW) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/179326-waterfall-especially-gw.html)

mole Oct 29, 2010 4:25 PM

A Waterfall (especially for GW)

2 Attachment(s)
When GW came to visit here in East Tennessee last year, he told me this was his favorite spot. We were both sad he couldn't make it back this year, so I'm posting a few photos just for him (but you can look too!)

Margarette Falls is one of many lovely waterfalls in Cherokee National Forest - something about the geology in and around the Sampson Mt area is especially good for these sudden drop-offs in the streams.

It's about a mile hike to the falls, first on old road, then on a rocky little trail. Most of the way is right along the side of Dry Creek - which was definitely not dry yesterday!

mole Oct 29, 2010 4:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With recent winds and rains, most of our autumn leaves are down. No more bright autumnal views until next year...
But they sure make a fine frame for the creek!

mole Oct 29, 2010 4:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Autumn is not usually our best season for waterfalls, since it's the driest. But recent heavy rains added plenty to the flow.
Margarette Falls is about 60 feet high, and has some unique diagonal rock strata. I had lots of fun clambering around and getting soaked in the creek, to try photographing the falls from several different angles. Which do you prefer?

mole Oct 29, 2010 4:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had planned to go on up to Bailey Falls, an off-trail hike about 1/2 mile above Margarette. But at times of high water it's a bit tricky, and my time was limited. May return later in the year at lower water. Sure hope you enjoyed a peek at GW's favorite waterfall, and that you might come see it yourself sometime!

Thanks as always for any comments & critique!

NMRecording Oct 29, 2010 8:04 PM

astounding photos here. Wish i could make that trip too. With your series, I almost feel like I did :)

ennacac Oct 29, 2010 10:37 PM

Those are very nice, the first set is great!

Tom

bock1965 Oct 30, 2010 4:32 AM

Nice fals mole! Long shutter speed or multiple exposure? Tripod?

Keltech Oct 30, 2010 8:57 AM

A beautiful waterfall artfully taken by the Master! Nice ones Mole.

Lou

nhmom Oct 30, 2010 1:41 PM

Lovely! I really like the third one with the leaves on the sides.

Patty

Goldwinger Oct 30, 2010 7:27 PM

Hey Mole,
I feel like an honored guest!
These turned out much better than mine did but, I would expect that from your very skilled hands. I showed these to Linda and she recognized them immediately.
Thanks for posting them, we got to relive our hike again and it brought back a very pleasurable memory. :):):)