Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:45 AM   #1

Default Need some help on camera/lens combos. Kr/Kx

I was looking around on Amazon today, and I was looking at the K-r and the K-x, seriously thinking about 1 as my first DSLR, but I will probably waver from that..I don't think I can really safely afford anything until closer to christmas.

But I was looking at some of the cameras and their kit lenses and I thought I would ask for some advice here.

How good are the kit lenses that some with the cameras? would I be better off getting a kit with lenses or a kit without a lens and then buying a separate lens? this is what I was looking at for separate

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-28-300mm...8423972&sr=1-9

the Sigma 28-300mm lense. Since it is a third party, I assume there is some sort of connector that allows it to fit different camera types? It looks like a good lense. Will it fit the Pentax K-x or K-r mounts? Will it also fit a sony alpha?

I am still having a difficult time between a K-x or a K-r. The K-x is cheaper, but I can't help but wonder if a K-r will be better for longevity, or if the improvements to the K-r make it a better choice than the K-x and the sony alpha cameras still pop up in my mind too, but I think I would like to see what the A77 is about.

This is just the question I had right now, I am sure I will have more before I can finally decide. I do appreciate the help and advice I have gotten on this forum. Thank you so much!
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:14 PM   #2

sigma and tamron lenses you can buy that come direct no modification or adapters needed - they have the same mount as genuine pentax lenses

as to wether you should get the kit lenses or not thats all about how much you want to spend - for the money the kit lenses especially the the 55-300mm is great value as its a great lens - the 18-55mm kit lens is pretty good alround but if you want the faster aperture then there are other lenses out there varying from about 270-800 which give you a aperture of f2.8 which is handy for low light situations - but with the kx and kr both having very good low light performance through iso the fast aperture might not be worth it but i personally like it and give you more depth of field choices too

so yeah the kit lenses with pentax cameras are generally pretty good quality and for the money you wont get anything like the focal range you can with them - if your willing to spend more money then something like the

tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and pentax da* 60-250mm f4 would be a good combination
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:16 PM   #3

The kit lens form pentax are quite good. And are excellent to learn one. Their 2 lens kit with the 18-55 and 55-300 is a top notch kit. The 55-300 is very sharp on the long end.

The problem with the 28-300 on an aps-c camera is that is is not very wide at 28. It is about 42mm on a 35mm film eq. So if you were looking for a 1 lens option you would be better serve looking at the sigma 18-250, or if you can the tamron or pentax 18-250. The pentax and tamron are discontinued but tamron should be releasing a 18-270 for the pentax to replace the 18-250.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:33 PM   #4

has it been confirmed that tamron is going to release it for pentax mount? - thought ti seemed like alot of newer tamron lenses weren't coming in pentax mount - though considering that the tamron and pentax 18-250mm were essentially the same lens would not be surprised to see a pentax 18-270 pop up at some point
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:50 PM   #5

As others have already said, the Pentax kit lenses are capable of producing excellent images. I shot very happily with a kit lens for a long time before I upgraded.

I have never used either the Kx or the Kr, so I can't offer any insights, except to say that most Kx owners on this forum seem to be very happy with their cameras, and the specs on the Kr look very impressive.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote