Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:44 AM   #1

Default Old Farm Road to North Fork Stony

Was out with the dogs on Saturday on the Bristol side of Holston Mt. Main purpose of this trip (besides to enjoy a great hike on a beautiful day) was a search for some rare shrubs. Did not find the shrubs, but did find a fine hike.

Old Farm Road is an unmaintained trail. As you can guess, it is indeed an old farm road that starts at the far end of Bristol TN, and joins the Appalachian Trail at the site of an old farm up on Holston Mt.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:48 AM   #2

Just up the AT from Old Farm Road are some fine views across the old farmland, across Shady Valley, and up to Iron Mountain. Most of the autumn leaves are down now, except for some rather muted Oaks, and some rather bright Sumacs.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:51 AM   #3

It was a cool crisp day, perfect for hiking the ridges, and the dogs really wanted to run, not stop or linger. And I was in a bit of a hurry to get to the place where we thought the rare shrubs might be. So did not take a lot of photos along the way. But did take time to notice the richness of mosses and lichens on the many boulders and large fallen trees.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:54 AM   #4

We left the AT near Double Springs Shelter, and followed the old path of the AT (now part of Holston Mt Trail). Lots of ripe berries for the "critters" here. These Solomon's Seal berries are not edible for humans, but great food for chipmunks, various small birds, etc.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:56 AM   #5

After about 1.5 miles, we came to the start of our off-trail jaunt. North Fork Stony Creek is about 1/2 mile from the trail, down the side of a rhododendron-rich valley. It was some interesting off-trail hiking down to the creek, and then some fine views of this lovely little stream.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:58 AM   #6

Another half mile or so of off trail creek-wading brought us to a little waterfall in a fine grotto. Perfect habitat for the shrub we were seeking, but did not find any. Not perfect conditions for waterfall photography - bright sun directly on the falls! But here are a few snapshots, just to give you a general view.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:00 AM   #7

Return trip was uneventful - with dogs racing to get back to their treats in the car! Plan to return and search a little further downstream, and perhaps in another stream on the other side of the ridge. Also plan to return on a cloudy day for some better waterfall shots.

Thanks for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:11 PM   #8

Mole, I think one of the things I like best about your post is the story line that goes along with it. Makes it much more interesting. Just wanted to say thanks for your great photos and sharing your knowledge with us.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:27 PM   #9

Yes, besides some of the best photography I really love the commentary as well...

Thanks for sharing, Mole...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:40 PM   #10

Thank you again Mole, for bringing us along on another of your wonderful rambles, and for sharing your exceptional photos. I'm always happy to join you on your backcountry adventures, and as I've said before my knees don't ache after I tag along with you!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote