Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:56 AM   #1

Default K-x focusing speed

I just came back from shop where I played with K-x. It seems to me that the focusing speed is much faster than my DL2 with kit lens (18-55 DAL). Is it really faster than previous models or is my mind playing tricks to convince me to buy one?

Greg

Also do you miss top plate LCD screen?

Last edited by gfurm; Nov 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2

from what Ive heard, pentax af speed has been increasing slighty with each model, the Kx and K7 especially supposively made pretty big improvements on auto focusing speed on their previous models, the kr and k5 improving on those even more.
I cant give you specifics as I dont own them, but I do know those were some of the big selling points, besides iso increase
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3

I went to the Kx from the K10D. The Kx is substantially faster.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4

Hi Greg,

I don't own a Kx, but the K-7 has the same AF system/algorithms with the exception of an additional color temp sensor. I'd imagine the Kx is a smidgeon slower because of the lower voltage of the AA batteries opposed to the Li Ion of the K-7, but they'd be in the same ballpark.

The K-7 is noticeably faster than the K20, which is noticeably faster than the K10, which is noticeably faster than the K100, DS, and DL, but the steps between each generation have been small. Skip a generation, and the difference is immediately apparent. Skip two, and it will be significant.

I still have the DS, K100DS, K10, K20, and K-7, and have compared them side-by-side often, as I sometimes choose one over another because of the sensor or some other feature.

I think that you'll find the Kx a very significant step up from just about every aspect.

Personally, I find the top LCD helpful as I've occasionally noticed a mistake in settings with a quick glance, but I'd also see this when I brought the VF up to my eye. . . If you want to do this with the Kx, you just press the Info button, and the most used settings are displayed on the rear LCD, and it's interactive, so you can make changes to all kinds of settings without leaving the screen or diving into menus. On my K-7, I use the Info screen more than the top LCD FWIW, and I find this a great feature.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:14 PM   #5

I just downloaded sample RAW from dpreview to see and compare and I'm getting more and more convinced I want K-x. I'll probably wait till Christmas, maybe I could find one on ebay for reasonable price. The test at the shop surprised me and for that increase in af speed I could justify upgrading. DL2 seems to have trouble focusing on my kid running around. I'm not bothered about lack of focus indication in viewfinder, my DL2 doesn't have it either, but lack of top LCD could be awkward a little at the beginning.
Well it's still 7 weeks till Christmas so I have time to make up my mind and find a way to convince my wife I need it .

Greg
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:31 PM   #6

from DL to Kx...........much faster!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:01 PM   #7

I had been thinking of not waiting for the k5 and buying the kx to replace my ist with and keep my k20d until the k5 drops then selling k20 and shooting both the kx and k5 instead of the k20 and k ist.

Well Im not sure if ill get the kx or not, as I really want to just wait for k5 to drop and buy it.

to the point: I do TONS of price research before I buy anything and pretty much get everything at amazing prices. In the past month I have seen the kx sell on several occasions for 350 and slightly less on ebay (with kit lens)

In my opinion, that IS an amazing price for a camera of such caliber. I would say if you can snag one for that kind of price, do it. Theres no reason not to spend 350 bucks on such a camera, especially if youve been wanting it for a while and finally convinced it would be a big improvement to aide your shots.

I of course dont mind buying used, so if you dont either, I would look into this; shop prices, and buy when the volumes are high. If theres 10 auctions ending within a day or two of the same camera, chances are a few of them will go ultra low. Also make sure to search ebay for international auctions as well, often people will only check USA and ive seen great prices come out of australia and UK, enough to justify a 20-30.00 shipping charge.

my .02
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:31 PM   #8

Before the K7 I would have told you I'd never want to be without the top monitor - I used it all the time. I still do if I shoot with the K100 or K20. But I use the K7's info on the LCD screen far more than I do the top monitor, so think it wouldn't be an issue at all for me. I would NEVER have said that prior to using the K7.

I keep thinking about both the Kx and Kr - the image quality is really excellent and I'd love a storm-trooper white one. On the other hand, there's some features on the K5 that I'd really like to have. So I'm still on the fence, but I think any of the 3 would be a big step up from the DL2.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:38 AM   #9

I'm in UK, so buying from outside europe is out of the question. 350$ +35 s&h +17%VAT +6% duty +UPS handling fee and 10 days waiting is too much for me.
And that's waiting for one to show up with this price, at the moment they all cost around 460$.

At the moment there's one K-x on ebay uk for 300 Pounds, that's about 460$. All completed listings show similar price so I guess I'll have to spend that much and put my DL on ebay and hope it'll get some money back.

Greg

Last edited by gfurm; Nov 3, 2010 at 4:48 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:17 PM   #10

Jacobs Digital had Pentax K-x + 18-55 + 55-300 Black for 399 yesterday. A so called Black Friday deal (Why I don't know) I am sure there will be other offers if you keep your eye on the web. I have been waiting for ages and trying to decide between K-x, Eos 450D, 500D and 550D as well as HS10 and FZ38. Strange combination I know. I was waiting for a deal I could not refuse. The K-x has been around for 399 with the twin lens 50-200mm (apparently not as good a lens) Then yesterday the above offer came up (best deal before was 519 from simple electronics ( I don't know if I trust them)) so I could not resist yesterday. I am sure more deals will come up before Christmas so hang in there and you will get a deal.
eye will is offline   Reply With Quote