Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Juice Brand CRV3 rechareable Batteries?

I did a search on this topic and found that Daniel may have used Juice Brand rechargeable CRV3 batteries in the past.

I am cautious about using them in my K100D as I have read that most rechargeable CRV3's will put out up to 3.8 volts when fully charged which will exceed safe limits for the K100D when two are used. I also read that some users use one rechargeable CRV3 in combination with two NiMH AA's.

Does anyone have experience with the Juice Brand CRV3 rechargeable, and if so, how were they used - two at the same time, or one in combination with two AA's? Also, does anyone know what voltage they put out?

Thanks,
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
I did a search on this topic and found that Daniel may have used Juice Brand rechargeable CRV3 batteries in the past.

I am cautious about using them in my K100D as I have read that most rechargeable CRV3's will put out up to 3.8 volts when fully charged which will exceed safe limits for the K100D when two are used. I also read that some users use one rechargeable CRV3 in combination with two NiMH AA's.

Does anyone have experience with the Juice Brand CRV3 rechargeable, and if so, how were they used - two at the same time, or one in combination with two AA's? Also, does anyone know what voltage they put out?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim
I think you read my earlier post and msg.
1. Juice is the new type of rechargeable CRV3 giving out around 3.2 V which I would consider to be within safe over voltage danger zone.
2. I am still using it for my DL (for 3 yrs with no issue)
3. I do not use that for my K100D mainly because it is less tolerant of slight over voltage. It actually went haywire after 15 minutes of use.
Word of caution: we are talking over voltage. Like over clocking your cpu, you are at your own risk. The fact that it is safe for me (with no issue for DL) does not mean it is ok for you. If I am correct all the members (http://forum.pentaxfans.net/) in Taiwan have no problem with other rechargeable CRV3 - they do not have exactly Juice brand though. In Taiwan back 2 years ago Samsung made and was selling the best rechargeable CRV3. Somehow Samsung has discontinued.
Hope it helps

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:06 PM   #3

Thanks Daniel. I guess I will pass on the Juice CRV3's.
Jim
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:56 PM   #4

Jim,

I don't know about the Juice rechargeables, but a few years ago I sent my K100D (not the Super, I had one of the first ones to hit the stores as I was going to a family reunion that week) in for images coming out underexposed, then immediately overexposed on the next image of the same thing with same settings. I was using rechargeables at the time (could find them if you want to know which ones). When they sent they camera back they said they could find nothing wrong with the camera, but did suggest I used the non-rechargeable CRV3's. I switched and never had another problem.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but not using them certainly solved my problems.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Jim,

I don't know about the Juice rechargeables, but a few years ago I sent my K100D (not the Super, I had one of the first ones to hit the stores as I was going to a family reunion that week) in for images coming out underexposed, then immediately overexposed on the next image of the same thing with same settings. I was using rechargeables at the time (could find them if you want to know which ones). When they sent they camera back they said they could find nothing wrong with the camera, but did suggest I used the non-rechargeable CRV3's. I switched and never had another problem.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but not using them certainly solved my problems.

Patty
Thanks for the info Patty. The K100D user manual states that rechargeable CRV3's should not be used. From what I have read they can put out up to 3.8 volts, which in pair would exceed the stated max of 6 volts. I had also read on forums that there is a regulated CRV3 rechargeable that puts out 3.1 or 3.2 volts max. which may be safe. I thought that the "Juice" brand fell into this category, but apparently not based on Daniel's experience. He states that Samsung used to market the best rechargeable CRV3. I had also read in another thread that Delkin Devices and Uniross made regulated CRV3's that worked, but I have not been able to find a retailer that has them available. As another (more risky IMO) option, I read in yet another forum thread of using one rechargeable CRV3 in combination with two NiMH AA's, which would total up to a bit over 6 volts.

The reason I was looking for these as an alternative to the NiMH AA's is I have been disappointed with the brands I have tried. Kodak pre-charged, Panasonic, Duracell, and Digital Concepts (Sakar). I think I will go with the Sanyo Eneloop AA's, however I can't find them in any local shops.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:47 AM   #6

Jim

Do not bother with mixing the batteries. That is a no no. The internal difference in resistance will result in having one set of battery overheating .
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:20 AM   #7

Jim;
I have also been disappointed in the Duracell pre-charged AAs, but have had good results from Energizer brand. With the normal NiMH cells, it has been the other way around, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote