Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:04 PM   #1

Default Motorcycles, From the Car Show

Motorcycles are always a difficult subject to photograph well, under the best of conditions. Trying to get anything decent in a show such as this one was well, impossible. There is just too much background junk that keeps one from getting a nice, well defined shot. But, I thought I share these regardless just for the nostalgic benefit for those who enjoy these old bikes.

The first one is really bad but, this 125 Scrambler was the the desire of my sole when I was 16. I would have done almost anything to own one.

An old hard-tail, springer front fork Harley. Not something you'd want to ride on a long trip!

An older BMW

This is one sweet bike, an old 48 Indian if I'm not mistaken. not sure of the year.

Last one, another old Harley with sidecar.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:36 PM   #2

GW...those motorcycle pictures warm the cockles of my heart. Back in the '60's one bike I really wanted...actually there were a lot...but one, was the Honda 160 twin..*****ambler...loved the way it looked and the high, side scrambler exhaust...back then, among other bikes I had, I bought a '65 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina Super Sports...250c twin, twin carbs, twin exhausts, 5 speeds and 28.6 hp @ 8500 rpm or so, if I recall. Handled very well and as Cycle World at the time said, went like a 500.

The BMW flat twin in your pix also takes me back. I sent away to Butler & Smith...American distributors for BMW back then....

I received brochures, recall a picture of a BMW 600 (not the R69s) parked by an an alpine scene.

At the time, I was about 17 and wanted to tour Europe on a BMW motorcycle, much like the one in your picture.

Your motorcycle pictures are great and they've made an old man...very happy...LOL

BTW, looking at that old Indian bike....reminds me of another story...but I digress....

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:41 PM   #3

I love the photos of the mc's. I used to have a couple...last one was a 1986 goldwing. Would like to find a Sunbeam from the 50's. My dad had one. He used to ride it year round in MN. Yeah, I know the snow.
Anyway, about the settings, I couldn't see your exif settings so couldn't tell what your fstop or shutter or anything was.
But, bright sun, so fast shutter, fastest shutter possible, wide open f stop to shorten depth of feed.....
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
I love the photos of the mc's. I used to have a couple...last one was a 1986 goldwing. Would like to find a Sunbeam from the 50's. My dad had one. He used to ride it year round in MN. Yeah, I know the snow.
Anyway, about the settings, I couldn't see your exif settings so couldn't tell what your fstop or shutter or anything was.
But, bright sun, so fast shutter, fastest shutter possible, wide open f stop to shorten depth of feed.....
Sunbeams were great motorcycles. Twins with one cylinder following the other, shaft drive 'balloon tires...they were bought out by BSA eventually. Beautiful bikes. Your dad was truly an enthusiast, having a Sunbeam and riding year round in Minnesota. It's cold...I know as I live in Manitoba, which borders Minnesota.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:43 PM   #5

Thanks guys, for all the comments. So glad you enjoyed these.

Lisa, I don't know why you can't read the EXIF, its included. I sometimes have a tendency to let the camera choose the settings and forget that I have the control to make it do what I want it to. I should have used your suggestions but, unfortunately...
these went all the way from F:22 and 1/90th to F:16 and 1/750th. Hopefully I'll get better with practice.

My wing is an 85 Aspencade. I use to ride it year round, here in Florida that's not hard. lately I've been driving my Tracker to work, only ride the bike about once a week now.

Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:08 PM   #6

These are very cool photos GW. I have never owned a motorcycle, but in the '70s, when I was 17, I desperately wanted one. I also was going to suggest opening up the aperture to throw the background out of focus, but Lisa beat me to it.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:24 PM   #7

Hi GW,

Nice series!!

The subject of bikes dreamed about when we were kids brings back some memories. When I was a kid, my dream bike was a Ducati 250 Monza. I would have settled for the 90 though. . . Much more of a "real" motorcycle than the stamped frame Honda 90.

As it was, after I dropped out of college, I worked at a Suzuki, Kawasaki, Bultaco, and Ossa dealer in Chcago, first as a mechanic, then as Parts and Service Manager. I was one of two factory trained Suzuki RE-5 Wankel mechanics in Chicago, and did some race tuning for a couple of AMA National Number flat trackers. Although I was able to ride just about every motorcycle produced in the 70's, I never got to play with the Ducati -- probably a good thing, because it would have paled against some of the Suzuki T250 (previously the X6 Huster) performance bikes I ended up building for customers. . . and then there were the Suzuki GT 750 and Kawasaki Z900 Turbo conversions that we tuned for 130 MPH top end. . .Thinking back, it's pretty scary reflecting on some of the stuff we used to do for fun. . .This photography thing is a lot safer. . .

Everyone at this shop was in their 20's, including the owner. Somehow we started a tradition that the owner would dump a bucket of water at an unexpected time on an employee on his birthday, and the whole shop would erupt in an all out water fight. The only rule was that the showroom was off-limits, but anyone was fair game, even regular customers. Everyone would prepare by hiding buckets and water balloons all over the shop the day before, but we had to wait until the owner started the fight. . .There were lulls when we actually got some work done, but the fight would break out repeatedly during the course of the day, and it was worthless changing into dry clothes because it would only paint a target on your back. Our customers loved it, and many made notes of the days and made a point of visiting just to get into the water fights.

We were pretty wild -- we had a total loss electrical system that we could bolt on to any bike to make it "street legal", so we were constantly putting on race bikes so we could ride them on the street. This annoyed the neighborhood police, but a lot of them were customers, and knew that we were basically harmless, so we got away with a lot of crazy stuff.

For some reason, this is the first time I've thought about that time in my life for quite a while -- quite a trip back in time. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:28 PM   #8

LOL. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, Scott!
I can just picture it.
Thanks for sharing your story, and I'm glad I helped bring it back.
I remember the Ducati well. OK, maybe a little hazy but, I did have a class mate that owned one. Also had a buddy that owned a Z900, that was one bad a** bike!

Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:52 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice sharp images GW. You might want to try to use a low shooting angle when framing the bikes...I think it will show more of the bike as well as eliminate some of the distractions in the background.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:35 AM   #10

i have enjoyed all you car show photos
although i havent managed to comment on them all
i find bikes hard
there seems to be a lot of spaces and not a lot of bike
these are nice looking bikes
especially the indian

we have a car show coming up, maybe i can show you some from that