Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Default pentax kit lens's AF is very loud...?

I just bought my first dslr, so i am new to the sights and sounds. I have the pentax k-r with the kit 15-55 and the kit 55-300 (among other things).

I am not sure what the AF is supposed to sound like, but it is VERY loud as it whirls around focusing. I didnt really think it was unusual (i had nothing to compare it to) until i used my new sigma 7-200 f2.8 for the first time. That AF is SILENT.

Is there something wrong with the pentax's kit lens's? or are they just always really loud. And the sigma is silent?

Thanks for any input!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2

It is loud, it is a dc motor with a screw drive. The sigma is a HSM motor, Hyper Sonic Motor, they are very quite and fast. The pentax SDM motors are the same way.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:12 PM   #3

thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4

sonic motors are what you want if you want quite and fast. sigma HSM, pentax SDM, tamron USD are all fast and quite.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:31 AM   #5

This is just a side comment. Personally, I like the simpler lenses. Just enough electronics for the lens to id itself and to adjust the aperture. Having the camera drive the lens may be a bit more noise and possibly slower, but the camera body will probably wear out (or be replaced with something newer) before the lens. Also, the focus motor (of what ever type) in the lens, is just some additional electronics to fail some time and some where.

I am not knocking SDM or HSM or CD or .... Its just something that I have noticed over time and has become a personal preference. But then I am not shooting weddings in a church or ..... where silence is golden.

just my 2 cents...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:11 PM   #6

Hey Eric,
I know just what you mean. When I got my Sigma 70-200 f:2.8 it lived on my camera.
one day I changed back to the 55-300 and thought man, what a piece of junk! but it really is a good lens, it just doesn't compare with the build wise to the Sigma.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:26 PM   #7

I agree with everything that has already been said, but let's keep in mind that the Sigma 70-200 EX costs $800, and the Pentax 55-300 is a $350 lens. You can't realistically expect the build quality to be similar.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:35 PM   #8

good point mtnman. thanks for the input everyone.