Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Nikon D7000 results are in. As expected, very similar to the Pentax (with very slight edge to Pentax at higher ISOs). Of course the fanboys from both camps will debate endlessly but sensor performance from both seems to be so close as to be a non-factor in RAW. Not sure how the jpeg engines from both will shake out.
It's all pretty meaningless, but I must admit to feeling good about Pentax having some bragging rights for a change. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
It's all pretty meaningless, but I must admit to feeling good about Pentax having some bragging rights for a change. . .

Scott
I agree. We're all Pentaxians here and we all love the brand. I've never regretted buying into the system. But there's no getting around the fact that Pentax did have a false start at the dawn of the modern digital era, got into trouble and wound up playing catch-up to the big boys.

They've been making progress but generally have been a generation behind CaNikon when it comes to things like autofocus and high ISO performance. But that's okay, the stuff was still good, we had fantastic value and all that great glass. But now, it appears Pentax is right in there with the best of the best when it comes to out-and-out, no-excuses performance.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thanks for pointing out this. I've always thought their marks are useful but that there's more to buying a camera than simply marks. I did agree with them on the dynamic range of the K20/K7 but have still enjoyed using both cameras (especially the K7).

The only reason I could come up with for getting a new camera for myself was to get increased dynamic range and less noise, especially the dynamic range. But otherwise I don't feel limited at all. This news is very welcome for me - though bad news for my other half. I had been really considering the Kx/Kr for the image quality but wasn't quite sure I wanted to give up some of the features on the K7. Now it looks like I can have both the features and the increased dynamic range.

I wonder how long I can live on hot dogs and baked beans?
Harriet... how about a K-r now (and sell the K-20 to help fund it) and add the K-5 in about a year (and sell the K-7 to fund that)? Or buy the K-5 now and sell both the K-20 and K-7. C'mon... you deserve it. Haute cuisine is highly overrated.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:49 PM   #24

Now that the Nikon D7000 is out there are quotes I would like to place here

Quote:
Is this the end of FX? Pretty much yes, as far as noise is concerned today
Quote:
Technically, the D7000 has the highest linear resolution of any Nikon DSLR, and more overall resolution than any other NIkon under $7,500.
This is only about the sensor and not about the AF, exposure measurement but it makes me think that Pentax is catching up (or already has) very quickly.

(ps quotes are from Ken Rockwell)