Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Default dxo test of K-5 sensor are in

If you jump over to dxomark you'll see that the sensor tests for the K-5 are in. I realize some people don't like dxomark tests (usually anyone whose favorite camera gets a bad score ), but it's one of the rare sites that tries to scientifically test and score dynamic range, color depth, high ISO, etc attributes of sensors.

In short, the k-5 sensor score is the best ever for an APS-C sensor camera and stacks up well against (or outright beats) sensor performance from much more expensive cameras.

Very impressive feat for Sony (sensor manufacturer) and Pentax for their implementation. It will be interesting to see how the d7000 implementation of the same chip compares.

I think this is very positive news for lots of people that sensor design is pushing forward. It's good news for APS-C market as the results on all fronts are outstanding. And for full frame market buyers, it's good news because the sensor performance of this sensor will push manufacturers of full-frame sensors to drive even harder.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i knew this sensor was going to be a good one. but it even surprised me to see the score earlier.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:17 PM   #3

Dang, that is good news!
Now I know, I gotta get one of these cameras! Hurry up tax return time.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:05 PM   #4

Hi John,

As a jpeg shooter, DXO Marks has little relevance for me, as what they bias toward in their scoring for isn't what I need for what I normally shoot. I don't know if you can necessarily quantify IQ like they do as that pretty much depends on the viewer and medium being viewed. I think their data is valid, but it's difficult for me to correlate their numbers with what I am looking for in a camera.

Nonetheless, I believe that a lot of people hold these scores in high esteem, and this is a good thing for Pentax -- to finally have some bragging rights among the camera mfgs for their flagship model.

Unfortunately for me personally, this will probably be something of a negative as it will probably spur sales and keep the K-5 prices higher for longer. I was hoping to save a little money, but was not counting on it, so in the end, it will just end up taking price out of the mix, letting me get the body sooner. . . I think I'll wait until the firmware update this month is already implemented and user tested in the bodies being delivered. Maybe there will be some late pre-Xmas discounting. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:41 PM   #5

Thanks for pointing out this. I've always thought their marks are useful but that there's more to buying a camera than simply marks. I did agree with them on the dynamic range of the K20/K7 but have still enjoyed using both cameras (especially the K7).

The only reason I could come up with for getting a new camera for myself was to get increased dynamic range and less noise, especially the dynamic range. But otherwise I don't feel limited at all. This news is very welcome for me - though bad news for my other half. I had been really considering the Kx/Kr for the image quality but wasn't quite sure I wanted to give up some of the features on the K7. Now it looks like I can have both the features and the increased dynamic range.

I wonder how long I can live on hot dogs and baked beans?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:47 PM   #6

Harriet,
You of course raise a very valid point. The sensor performance is only one aspect of the decision process. Some people seem to want to jump to the conclusion that this means the K-5 is akin to Nikon's D3s - they're still different animals. And there are certainly other features unrelated to the sensor that a photographer may deem important. So I'm not quite ready to sell off my 1dIII and lenses to buy the K-5, but within the context of sensor performance I'm very impressed. Always like to see QUALITY improved, not just quantity (one of my pet peeves with Canon is they seem more obsessed with quantity over quality).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:36 PM   #7
Administrator

I'm impressed. For the past few days until the K5 results were posted, the new Sony A55 led the pack in cameras with APS-C size sensors if you're looking at the DxOMark sensor rankings. It uses a newer Sony 16MP CMOS Sensor design. The new Pentax also uses a Sony 16MP CMOS Sensor design, without the light loss the Sony A55 has via it's translucent mirror. Results from the new Nikon D7000 and Sony A580 (also using newer Sony 16MP APS-C size CMOS sensor designs) are sure to be interesting compared to older sensors from results I've seen so far. But, I suspect Pentax will squeeze more out of it, as they have with the Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:11 PM   #8

Jim - From a pure chart aspect, you could be right that Pentax will squeeze a bit more than the others. But in the past, Pentax usually chose to leave in detail and more noise than Nikon (using the same sensor). I always thought Nikon did an excellent job with balancing noise and detail to give a pleasing result for people who don't want to post process and don't care about choosing detail over noise. It was noticeable with the sample shots posted on review sites. It's going to be very interesting to see whether that will hold true with the D7000.

John - If I could handle a full frame camera, I'd feel the same way. But since I don't have the strength to do what I want for any length of time with one, I'm not even tempted by the full frame cameras. I have a friend who has a full frame Canon (can't remember which one now) and I played with his for a bit. It would be a camera I'd that would probably spend most of the time on a shelf, because I'd struggle with it.

Frankly I'm still in a bit of shock. I know that those early adopters posting elsewhere have been raving about their new cameras, but early adopters always do (I did about the K7, love the interface and size). I just couldn't believe that they could add more megapixels and increase dynamic range, and I find it hard to judge dynamic range from a photo I didn't take at a place I've never been to. So now I'm a believer - Sony did just that this time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:22 PM   #9

damn it people - someone really needs to say the k-5 is rubbish my will power is being sorely tested here specially as they are fixing the raw count in continous shooting via firmware sometime this month
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
It will be interesting to see how the d7000 implementation of the same chip compares.
everyone says its the same chip but seeing some fairly significant differences in them

16.3mp pentax
16.2mp nikon

iso base 100-12800 pentax
iso base 200-6400 nikon

we know the pentax is definately sony chip - pentax has openly said so at photokina but has nikon said that the d7000 is a sony chip?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote