Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:47 PM   #1

Default Another clear morning

We don't see the sky often in the early morning here due to the coastal marine clouds/fog/haze (take your pick), but this morning was clear. The high altitude winds were moving, spreading, and tearing up a contrail, which almost looked more like a tornado or a trail from a Vandenberg AFB satellite launch. When I first stumbled outside, still half asleep, to get the morning papers, it was much thinner, straighter, and a brightly glowing streak against a darker sky, but by the time my head cleared and I thought to get a camera and photograph it, it had already changed. The following took place over 5 minutes - the first two are crops from horizontal frames, and the last an uncropped vertical. K20 and Tamron 18-250.

Name:  IMGP1139c2r.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  IMGP1147cr.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  IMGP1150r.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  53.1 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Very nice! I like what the winds did to the contrail - an interesting effect.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:58 PM   #3

Very cool. I think I like the first one best with more roofs showing in silhouette.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4

Nice work, Pen!
The last two really do look a lot like a tornado.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Thanks Harriet, Patty and GW.

If anyone in the whole world hasn't seen the news yesterday and today, they won't know it is "deja vu all over again." A local news helicopter yesterday morning photographed a plane forming a contrail very much like this - but the sun was glinting off the airplane, looking like a rocket engine to some who don't make a habit of watching the sky (birdwatchers see a lot of gas hawks, and are very familiar with aircraft contrails.). The video has "gone viral" on news programs around the world and, because it appears to be going vertically upwards, the conspiracy theorists are claiming it is a clandestine missile launched from a submarine or from the Navy's installation on one of the offshore Channel Islands. It has been fun watching the "experts" analysing the footage, claiming it is a missile, or an aircraft contrail, or an unknown phenomenon. Radars around the world have detected nothing ascending into orbital altitudes, and the only missile launching installation is at Vandenberg AFB, which had no laundches and was in the wrong direction, but in spite of that the rumors persist. It is merely an optical illusion, because an aircraft either coming towards or going away from the observer appears to be moving vertically, while one going horizontally right to left appears level. What do you think what would have happened had I posted these photos on Youtube? Would it have fueled an international panic? (and if you remember, there also was anotherone in the sunrise pictures I posted earlier). There are so many planes in the sky over this country at one time, that given the proper atmospheric conditions enough contrails can form to create enough cloud cover to actually modify the climate! People just don't look up in the sky! "It's a bird, it's a plane, it's . . . . !"

Last edited by penolta; Nov 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:00 PM   #6

LOL! I was amazed when I heard about it on the local news - sounded like much ado about nothing. But then, photographs never lie do they (my sister was recently in Egypt and has a picture of herself on a camel apparently holding a pyramid in her hand).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:17 PM   #7

cool photos
i dont think we get contrails here, the planes are not high enough, but we see the sky a lot
i want to say i like the 3rd one beacause of the vertical format
but i think i prefer the first one

the video made our news by the way
it sounded good for a few seconds lol
unless you are trying to throw us of track and your photos are really a missile launch hmmmm
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Default And the beat goes on . . . .

Well, the "Pentagon experts" have confirmed it is a vapor trail from an aircraft.

But supposedly there is no record of a plane being in that place at that time, sooo . . . .