Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:01 AM   #1

Default Adjust EV in Manual Mode

Hi,

How do you adjust the EV in Manual Mode? I have the Pentax K-X. I tried pressing the green button, but it revert back the longer Shuttler Speed.

Thanks
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:11 AM   #2

I am not sure
but what i do is push the green button then adjust the speed or aperture up or down depending on what i am photographing

i would be interested if there is a better way in manual mode
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:34 AM   #3

In manual mode, if you set EV compensation up or down, it changes the values you get when you press the green button, but manual mode is just that - you select shutter speed and aperture separately - the green button is just to give you a place to start. (I have an older model camera, but I think they work the same) You should see the meter indicator in the viewfinder, either + or - , telling you how the camera thinks your exposure is going to turn out. If you adjust shutter or aperture, it will change. Changing the EV changes where the meter zero starts.
Hope I haven't confused you too much.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Hi,

One technique I use with the K100D in full manual mode is the set the AV manually on the lens, then operate the preview switch ie. move the on/off switch past the on position, and observe the EV setting in the viewfinder, I then operate the thumbwheel to set exposure which is correct when EV = 0.0.

I'm not familiar with your model, so you may need to experiment a bit to use the method. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee011 View Post
Hi,

How do you adjust the EV in Manual Mode? I have the Pentax K-X. I tried pressing the green button, but it revert back the longer Shuttler Speed.

Thanks
Hi raylee,

I might be missing something, but what exactly are you trying to accomplish? The green button will always try to give you a correct exposure according to the program line in Manual Mode, that's what it's for, to give you a starting point.

If you want to retain the exposure level, but get a faster shutter speed, then you must manually open up the aperture by the same f-stop value -- if you halve the shutter speed, then you have to open up the aperture one f-stop, and so on. . .

If you want to override the meter, and either over or underexpose the shot, then you just watch the meter indicator and move it either to the plus or minus side of the center position respectively.

I'm just guessing, but I think that what you want to do is to get a proper exposure, but have some control of the shutter speed to prevent blur. There are really a number of ways to do this involving exposure automation. You will need at least an "A" capable lens to do this.

Using Tv mode (Shutter speed priority) would be the obvious choice. Using Auto ISO will automatically increase the ISO if the max aperture of the lens is too slow to allow a reasonable exposure. You can set the range of Auto ISO, so it doesn't go higher than you might want. If the Tv and Av values in the viewfinder flash, then the correct exposure is out of the range of the ISO or shutter speed that you have set, and you'll have to make further adjustments. This would be a pretty safe way to shoot with the Kx as it will allow you to set a pretty high max ISO before things got ugly.

Another way would be to use the Program Mode with the green button set to "Tv" in the Custom Menu. In P mode, with the green button set for Tv, the camera starts by choosing both shutter speed and aperture according to the program line, but you can change the shutter speed by pressing the green button while you rotate the e-dial to get the shutter speed you desire to use. Aperture would automatically adjust to offset the changes you make to the shutter speed. This essentially puts the camera into Tv priority until you press the green button again, which returns it to P mode.

The most automatic way to accomplish this would be to use "Kids" or "Pets" Scene Modes, both of which will bias the program line towards faster shutter speeds.

There are actually other ways to do this, but these would be the most intuitive if your priority is to control blur.

You can use Exposure Compensation to intentionally over or under expose the shot to either preserve highlights or bring up shadows in any of the automatic or semi automatic modes.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Hi All, I think I got my answer. Green button only give me a starting point. Even if I see the EV is negative, I really need to adjust the shuttler and AP to get the right EV.
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee011 View Post
Hi All, I think I got my answer. Green button only give me a starting point. Even if I see the EV is negative, I really need to adjust the shuttler and AP to get the right EV.
There ya go!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote