Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1

Default I'm to stupid to own a DSLR

I am pretty depressed now. Too stupid to own a DSLR. (sigh).

I've read the manual, I've read forums and information on using PK-A and PK-M lenses on my K2000, but I just can't get it right.
Basically I have a manual lens here (OK I am using a Tamron 135mm close focus lens with a Panagor macro converter).

Seems so simple on the surface, but the more I stop the lenses, the darker the image gets. I can manually up the ISO, but they still get darker and darker as I close the lens down.

So I am out trying out some macro stuff (you know, just trying to learn). Since I can't seem to get a good exposure, other than on wide open, I figured I could learn a little about getting good exposure, along with macro focusing, placement, you know, just messing around and learning.
Well learned a little, except exposure.
Tried both M and Av, and I must be doing something wrong.
EXIF data says f 0.0 on all of them, figured with a manual lens that maybe correct???

What I do;
Open lens fully
Set frame and focus
Set F-Stop I want to use depending on how much DOF I want (or use 3 or 4 to see how it effects the photo in reality, I'm learning, remember).
Press the Av button
press the shutter (2 sec. delay).

Below is one example, same procedure above, I just changed the F stop and ISO between shots. Guess I should sell it all and stick with my Fuji s5200
Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2

Does this help...?

http://www.kamerasimulator.se/eng/?page_id=2

You can put a check in the box to link the aperture and shutter so the exposure stays the same
but the DOF in the picture will change...

As for why it's darker, it probably needs a much slower shutter speed than what you're using...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3

I was attempting to let the camera set the shutter speed (since it was tripod mounted, didn't really care how slow it was), and I must be doing something wrong as the camera does not appear to be metering properly to set the proper shutter speed, or as the subject suggests, I am just to stupid to figure it out.
Oh for the good old days when you set one, then twisted either exposure or shutter speed knobs until the circle and needle lined up. Down side was had to use film also...
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

uuuhhh, My guess is that you are not stupid. Put every thing on manual. If you have a tripod mount your camera on it. Preset your shutter speed to around 1/125 or 1/250. If you have a flash use it. Set your sensor to iso 200 or less if possible because when you use your flash close up it will overwhelm at higher iso's. If your lens is too close to the subject it may cast a shadow on the subject when the flash pops. Now prefocus with your aperature wide open. Stop down to say f16 or more then shoot. This may not produce a perfect image but it will get you started. Now about being stupid.........do you think that any great scientist made their discoveries on the first few tries? heck no ! perseverence is the key!!! think of any great artists or photographers that you may know of...........we have not seen even a fraction of their work! why? they scrapped the crap and only kept the best!! Now the better you get the more keepers you will get BUT everyone who shoots, shoots crap until they get it figured out!! Keep trying ....soon you will be posting successes!! You are not stupid! Just fighting the learning curve! Dont let the point and shoot makers make your photos for you. You make them with your DSLR !!!!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:46 PM   #5

Ah, but my problem with the PK-A and PK-M lenses, is even if I am taking "regular" photos, not macro, the same thing occurs, but only using them in Manual mode.
So it is obvious I am doing something wrong.
Trying to use the manual lenses, I want to have the camera set the shutter speed, basically.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:31 PM   #6

Tell you what I will play around with my kx and see what I come up with. Have you tried Tv mode and your focus switch set on manual? Ok.....tried the Kx and the DL.....in both cases when using a manual lens ( old sears 50 mm and a vivitar series one 70-210 both having aperature rings) the settings were Tv mode and the focus switch on manual. In both cases the cameras chose an appropriate shutter speed which did indeed differ from shot to shot.......
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:57 PM   #7

Did the shutter speed at least give you proper exposure?
See I was expecting if I manually changed the F stop, the shutter speed should compensate for the Fstop change. I'll to play around with Tv and see what I can come up with.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:03 PM   #8

While it isn't a K2000 he works with, the information here might help.

http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:51 PM   #9

I'm not familiar with the K2000, but I think it functions the same as my K100D and/or K20D. There is a difference in getting correct exposures with the 'A' series lenses vs. the 'M' series. Where are you setting your final F stop for the shots - on the aperature ring of the lens or from the K2000 menu or thumb wheel? If you are setting F stop from the aperature ring of the lens, you must first go into your custom menu settings and find an option that allows use of aperature ring. The default setting for the Pentax dSLR's are that it is not allowed, so you have to go in the custom menu and change it. On the 'M' series lens set the camera to M exposure mode; then set your aperature from the lens ring and set the shutter speed from the camera, this is the only way you can set your F stop on an 'M' series lens at anything other than wide open. I am at a loss though for what is going wrong with the 'A' series lens. 'A' series lenses have contacts that allow communitation with the camera. If you want to use P, A, Tv, exposure modes you should be able to do this as long as the aperature ring on your 'A' series lens is set to the 'A' position. There is a little button to the side of the 'A' setting that allows you to put it on 'A' if you don't have it there already. Come to think of it, this could be the problem. If you are trying to set the aperature from the lens ring, and if you don't have the custom menu set to allow aperature ring, then you won't get the exposure you're looking for. What's confusing to me is that I would think you would be getting over exposed shots if the menu isn't set for use of aperature ring. Going back to my first question, it would help to know if you are setting your aperature from the lens ring or the camera.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:57 PM   #10

By the way, here is a thread that may give you some direction. With 'M' series lenses there is a way to get proper exposure with the camera's meter. Read through the posts in this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...m-f-1-7-a.html for more helpful information. You are not too stupid, you're just like most of the rest of us, getting the answers we need from the wonderfully helpful forum members here.
Good luck,
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote