Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11

DAZ, looks like a shoot out in a sci-fi film.

Lyrics51, I like the bumps, it gives the image an ethereal feel and a sense of rhythm.

I am still looking for a good example.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Nov 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:05 AM   #12

Guys n Gals ... just a gentle dig in the ribs as I know we can't help it but we are not supposed to comment (positively / negatively) on other people's shots in the competition thread until after the voting is in.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Guys n Gals ... just a gentle dig in the ribs as I know we can't help it but we are not supposed to comment (positively / negatively) on other people's shots in the competition thread until after the voting is in.

I have a problem with this. The original purpose for the challenges weren't for competition, but to provide an avenue for everyone to learn new techniques that they may or may not have ever heard of, and to have a theme to shoot to for a month. It wasn't a true competition, though the person who was voted as having the best picture was the person who chose a new topic and would provide feedback for the next month. The moderator, rather than sitting back, would be actively involved in creating conversation about the pictures and the techniques - a friendly place to try to spread your wings.

This is a topic that positively invites comments and questions. How did you create that effect? What did you do differently? How can I do something like that?

Personally, I'd like to see the monthly challenges continue in that vein. I think they then serve as a positive, rather than strictly as a "bragging-rights" type of thing. If others don't want me to comment on others shots in this thread, just say so - I won't be offended and I'll respect how others want it run.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:30 PM   #14

I don't see any problem with questioning and commenting on techniques on the subject - however as has been mentioned a few times recently, treating photos entered into the challenge thread as per other threads, i.e. critiquing, praising, criticising, isn't the purpose of the challenge. It is to learn something new and/or enter your interpretation of the subject in the challenge.

That is the impression I have always got and have seen mentioned numerous times, I think it was Snostorm who last made this comment recently (apologies Snostorm if it wasn't) and I am purely endorsing that viewpoint. There can be no doubt that comments influence people so I don't see the issue with restraining commenting in one thread per month.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:08 PM   #15

We should comment if we feel like it. There is no harm done to the contest.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:35 PM   #16

It may be time for some introspection here. Is it a challenge or a contest? Have you ever wondered why so small a percentage of our long standing members have entered these challenges? I know we like things free and easy on this forum, but as I see it, if we are going to be voting, then voting for a best picture and commenting on picture quality during the voting are counterintuitive, as it can influence voter opinions. It is like campaigning in a polling place on election day. Technical comments are one thing, opinions are another, and it is my impression that the latter been getting more and more frequent. There is plenty of opportunity to add subjective comments or have discussions at the end of the voting. Harriet has a parallel thread in which her innovative technique is discussed and peoples impressions expressed, but the exact image entered properly has not been included during the contest time. There is another forum on Steve's where there is a bimonthly challenge - plenty of opportunity for commenting, but no voting. If we want free expression on the challenge thread, perhaps we shouldn't be voting. - too much commenting during a contest on one or a few of the entries can get to look like favoritism, and some people may feel offended, which may be why some members never enter these challenges. Voting might also discourage some people from posting entries they feel might not be competitive and would be embarrassed (or simply feel it not worth the effort) if they get few if any votes. Take a moment to think about it before reacting - and let's hear from some of the regular nonparticipants, too.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:48 PM   #17

I guess I'm the only one who thinks there's a difference between "challenge" and "competition", and have always viewed the challenge as just that.

They started the challenge right around the time I got my first dSLR in 2007. At the time it started, I understood it as a challenge to get better. To offer up the best I could manage (however feeble it might be for a beginning photographer), to learn something, and to see what others who were better than I could do on the same topic (all in one thread, very convenient). If I had thought of them as a competition, I know I would never have posted anything I shot at that time. Everyone back then accepted my (not very good but the best I was capable of then) pictures, gave me some hints and encouragement for improvement, which helped a lot. That's what I understood the challenges were for, and why they were called challenges and not competitions. One of the big reasons for having voting was to have someone to choose the topic for the next month, more than for any competitive purpose.

If everyone wants it to be a true competition, that's fine - it should meet the needs of the people that want to participate. But I would suggest that if that's what everyone wants, then next month it should be called "December Monthy Competition" as that's what it will be, rather than a challenge to do the best you can with something that might be completely foreign to what you normally do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:52 PM   #18

Nice shots so far everyone!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:19 PM   #19

Even if it's a competition, it's a friendly competition and comments do not hurt. I can't ever remember anyone ever saying anything bad about a picture.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:40 PM   #20

How about an opinion from an irregular participant?
1. I tend to submit an entry based on the theme. Probably won't enter this month because I think it will take too much effort to come up with something that fits the theme. I don't want to "work" at this. I'm not concerned about being embarrassed. I come from Buffalo; the Bills should be embarrased, not me.

2. My vote on the issue of commenting on challenge entries is, "who cares?" - my opinion on whose entry is the best has not been influenced by anyone elses comments or opinions. I know what I like. The only excecption is that I would be willing to bet that some of us thought our own entry was the best, but to my knowledge no one has voted for themself. Why?

3. There is really nothing to win, that's why it's a challenge not a competition. In fact the winner gets nothing but work - come up with a new theme, post the rules, annonunce the close and commence voting, tally the votes, announce the winner. I can't believe were quiblling about when entries end (your time zone or mine? the best photo last month was of the 3 Asian fishermen. I think it's a shame what happened.) and "to comment" or "not to comment". Imagine if there was money on the line or something like a DA* lens - yikes!

I guess I agree with Harriet on this. If we're going to come up with more rules and restrictions ...... well ..... you won't have any more mediocre photos from me that make yours look better.

Lighten up.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote