Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:16 AM   #41

gw-yes, that's why i picked this one out of the ones that i took! i'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed it!!
hkmp50- yes, just slow the shutter speed. not too much, or areas will be blown out, though. you just have to experiment, as it is different depending on how hot your fire is too!
kieth- we were talking to Sirius Black...
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vole View Post
kieth- we were talking to Sirius Black...
LOL! Have you seen the newest one yet? We'll go over Thanksgiving with my sister.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:08 PM   #43

Default November Challenge

I used Vole's idea of shooting into a fireplace. I set the camera on high speed, close zoom at 1/1000. Took dozens of shots and some very bizarre stuff came out.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:41 PM   #44

Default November Challenge

I had a few ideas for this months challenge, but was running out of month before I could work on them. One of my November chores is to swap out the lawnmower attachment for the snowblower attachment.... recent snow convinced me it was safe to do so. The mower blades needed sharpening.... which "sparked" an idea for this months challenge.
Attached Images

tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:07 PM   #45

Very clever! I had seen a welder earlier this month and thought about how that would be a good subject (if he hadn't been way up in the air). I never would have thought about sharpening a lawn mower blade creating the same effect.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:40 PM   #46

Sparked. Very creative.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:55 PM   #47

Default Spinning Snowflakes

Hey all,
better late than never, right? This challenge is going to drive me nuts as I couldn't set on an idea for a long time. Advent came to the rescue as we decorated the house and I found this little christmas pyramid giving some interesting light reflexes.

I tried this and that and came up with a single small flashlight adding more light to the tealight that moves the pyramid. F/11, 30s, ISO200 gave me this picture, which is my entry for the challenge.

Hope you like it!

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Guys n Gals ... just a gentle dig in the ribs as I know we can't help it but we are not supposed to comment (positively / negatively) on other people's shots in the competition thread until after the voting is in.

The monthly challenge always was right that for me - a challenge. Someone challenges others to do something - take a photo based on a given topic. You can decide to accept that challenge or not. You might have a hard time to take a photo you like, you might have fun, you might learn something - but it won't be boring and you can be sure you'll have a bunch of people around that share the same hobby and will bid you welcome here. If the submission period has ended, a new idea, a new person to challenge others is needed. Giving this task to someone who posted a great photo (based on other people votes) is just one way to find that new person. Personally I like the stories behind the images, the tech-talk and everything. It shows how people approached that challenge and it gave me lots of hints, ideas, inspiration for my own work. I see the challenge as kind of a "regulars table" where we Pentax-user meet and tell stories and show images around. I want it to be a friendly, inviting place. This includes commenting, posting personal opinions and feelings. If I like or don't like that special image of another user, why can't I say it? That's nothing personal, it's just that specific image! Buy a new music album - you'll like some songs, and some not. See?

Now for the voting. That part is interesting, as it tells me something about how other people "see" pictures. I often find, that my way to see things is not the way other people do it. If you want to take photos for a special occasion, and you want to pick photos to print or pass to other people it's always hard to choose "the right ones". If you think a bit further this also influences the way you take photos. So the voting part of the challenge helps me, too - just in another way than the tech talk or peoples feelings.

Personally - I'll vote for the photo, that I like. I don't take other peoples opinion into account, even if my vote is the only one to go to that specific image. It's my honest opinion and although that sounds ignorant - I don't let the others influence me here. "They" got their opinion, I got mine.

In short: commenting is fine, get that "competition idea" out of your heads and make this challenge a friendly place to meet for all of us.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:38 AM   #49

This seemed like the most obvious type of shot for light trails, but since no one else has posted one yet - how about some star trails?
Note that I do not have a remote for my K-M, and so had to just hold the shutter button down. That is why the trails are not perfectly smooth, and why the exposure is only 20 minutes. Longer would have been better, but my hand was getting too stiff, or perhaps I am just too impatient...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Note that I do not have a remote for my K-M, and so had to just hold the shutter button down... why the exposure is only 20 minutes.
You held the shutter button for 20 minutes???

Methinks that shows dedication above and beyond the call of duty. You deserve some kind of medal!

There again, it might just be a form of insanity ...

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote