Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:13 PM   #51

i took this photo yesterday in a place called devils backbone.

Im not sure if this qualifies, while I did use a long exposure technique, the overall composition and water reflection combined with time of day/lighting did not yield a high enough contrast photo to create lightrails so to speak but I did like the turnout.

This is a technique of rotating the camera /lens was used for this image, some additional rotating was needed to get it lined up in the end.

if you like, see more of the normal shots in a post ill be making called devils backbone, taken yesterday with the tamron 90 sp 2.5 and k*ist

great photos from everyone
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:48 PM   #52

Mole - I had thought that perhaps I'd get around to doing a star trail, something I've never really tried. It's just that it's been below freezing at night, and I'd have to go somewhere other than my yard to shoot them, so haven't been very interested recently. And yes, I'm amazed that you survived 20 minutes without more camera shake - don't think I could have done that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:18 PM   #53

Keith - Your last deduction is probably most accurate!

Harriet - It was below freezing, but not very far from my house. Camera was on tripod, but my hand was still too shaky...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:50 AM   #54

Wow! Ton of great shots and creativity with all of your entries. I had a few ideas, but it looks like I will get it in just under the gun. Here is my entry for this month...cooking with light.

I used three different lights to create the trails in the pans one by one, added in the spoon, and then lit the scene to create a somewhat balanced exposure.

250 sec exposure, f/9.5 at ISO 400

abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:11 AM   #55

My cooking shot above was my favorite...I think, and my entry this month. But I thought since this forum post is based around light trails I would post some other photos with crazy light. Still always amazes me what you can do with light and a long exposure. Light trails appear and the people making them are invisible. Many a camping trip I am left with my camera, tripod, and a headlamp. Add in a few beers, and I can keep pretty busy... I might look silly, but I always come back with interesting shots.

All shot with my K10d and tripod.

What happens when you blend glow sticks
310 sec. exposure f/9.5 at ISO 400

Ring of fire...30 sec. f/3.5 at ISO 400

My camping buddy Blinky....122 sec. exposure f/4.0 ISO 400

Crown Royal, cribbage, and campfire.
8 sec. exposure f/19 at ISO 100

Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:28 PM   #56

Well, it's now the 30th and I had yet to even attempt anything. But, on my way home from the hospital tonight it was dark and a neighbor had their Christmas lighted yard lit up. This is what their yard looks like when you move the camera right to left while you're moving it up and down.

I'll post the other things I tried in another post. And, what the yard actually looks like if you stand still.

K20D with 18-55WR lens, f9, 10 seconds at 55mm. I didn't have my 18-250 with me. It was supposed to rain today, so played it safe.

Patty

Changing my photo. When I went to process the others, I realized I liked how this one came out better. f8 for 5 seconds from 18 to 55mm. The straight light streaks on the bottom are cars that were going by.
Attached Images

Last edited by nhmom; Nov 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Changing image.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:12 PM   #57

very cool, reminds me of when they went into warp drive on Star Wars/Trek.

So this is the last night for posts, maybe we'll get a few last minute additions. After that is the voting. How long do is the usual voting period? I will tally the results and announce the victor after.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by abieleck View Post
How long do is the usual voting period? I will tally the results and announce the victor after.
Usually 5 days. Since this is a holiday season, people's time may be short later in the next month and they may want to get their entries for next months challenge in early, so it would be best not to let the voting run over and shorten the time available for next month.

Some really interesting submissions this month, too - well done, all.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:42 AM   #59

Thanks all for participating in this month's challenge. Hope you all had fun with it, and tried a few things you hadn't done before.

Let's go with the 5-day voting period, that will give us a full weekend make a choice. So have them in by Sunday evening, I will announce Monday, and the winner can get the next challenge rolling.

I guess I will start the voting. My vote is for Mtngal's overhead trails. Very well composed shot, love the bending of the water and the slight reflections. Also very good idea with the technique of changing focal length mid shot.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:12 AM   #60

Also Mtngal for me - I love that shot. Tundraguy's Sparks was close and IF it had been an entry Abieleck's camping buddy Blinky was great too !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote