Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:44 PM   #1

Default Fun with my K-5 rental

It's been a while, but I'm back! I sold my K-7, possibly as a starting step to move to another brand. Before completely abandoning ship, I decided to give the K-5 a try. I just got my K-5 rental this past Friday, and scrambled to put it to (ab)use. Saturday was a nice day, but I really enjoyed photographing on Sunday, which was pouring rain in the morning. The weather-sealing was something I missed since moving to the T2i. It's looking very likely that I'm going to get this camera now. So much for abandoning ship...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:13 PM   #2

Hi, Jason,
Was wondering where you disappeared to.
Beautiful pix!
The more I see and hear, the more I want that camera.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:19 PM   #3

Wow...# 2 + 3 are wonderful...# 4...very clear, clean photo.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:33 PM   #4

its ok if u ever abandon ship, we will throw u a swimmie
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:43 PM   #5

Welcome back, Jason! Yes, it looks like Pentax is back in the big time with the K-5. Tell us a bit more about it. The images you shot are beautiful... but what is the auto focus like? Not just speed... have you tried tracking anything with it?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:58 PM   #6

Very nice shots! I figured you were going to move to something with more video capability, even though I was always amazed at what you put together with the K7. So do you think the K5 will address the K7's shortcomings enough or are you going to keep both systems?

My favorite is the first one, but I'm really impressed with how it handled the wet red flowers.

And it's always good to see an old friend back.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:39 PM   #7

Yesterday, I tried a very unscientific lowlight tracking test. The T2i beats the K-5 in this regard, as it seemed to track at a faster rate and more accurately. I have yet to try tracking in good light, but a quick test with the K-5 in my cubicle seemed to yield better results than at night; the K-5 seemed to track as fast as the T2i did in low light. I didn't have my T2i with me to try under the same conditions, however.

In terms of overall AF speed, the K-5 doesn't seem that much faster when paired with SDM lenses. With screw lenses, though, it does seem faster. What I can say though is that the camera does less microadjustments than the K-7. And Live View AF with screw-driven lenses is so much better on the K-5. Still not as fast as phase AF, but it's much more useable than the K-7's AF. With SDM again, not so much; it's still an improvement over the K-7.

One thing that really bugged me with the K-7 was it's implementation of video. The lack of manual control was a real bummer, 30p was the highest framerate, and the rolling shutter effect seemed really pronounced on it (see my Asakusa video). The K-5 somewhat improved the situation. The new sensor seems to handle rolling shutter much better than the K-7 did. I can do 30p or 25p framerates at 720p now, as well as 1080p @ 25p; it's no 60p, but I don't always need to do slow-motion anyway. Lack of manual control in video still does make me gnash my teeth, but we'll see how much it pains me.

I might be dumping the T2i...for a 60D though. The weak video still forces me to stick to C for my video needs. But I'm pretty confident that I will be purchasing a K-5 in the immediate future. If the engineers at Pentax can implement manual video controls in the K-5, then I will totally abandon C. But I think I can play in a dual world for a little longer. My LBA will suffer though...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:55 PM   #8

Other than the expense and the possible confusion, I don't see a problem with dual systems, especially if you can't get what you want totally with one system. The only reason I mention possible confusion, whenever I'm using the K100 I have to think how to go about what I want to do. I don't always remember because I don't use it all that often. The K20 can confuse me even more - with the K100 things are simpler.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:00 PM   #9

Great pictures, makes the waiting harder, still no K-5 in sight over here, I guess they are still trying to sell their k7's they've got in stock (without reduction ?-)