Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
I believe if they had a planned release date, it would be all over the net or should i say: If they knew how to fix it, it'd be rolled out already.
Nah.... never. On the german Pentax site they still claim the K-r to have SAFOX IX+ and they KNOW that's wrong since what - weeks? Months? And still they don't fix the darn website - and that's only a few lines of html code and a updated version of the PDF manual. They are also unable to give a link to the german manual on their german website, you have to ask the support to get it. Again - the manual exist, but they don't post a link on the official website.

Conclusion: IF there was a firmware update - they won't post it on the website.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:36 PM   #12

I think the good news is they clearly admit it is a known issue. They're not saying "What problem?" That alone is reason to believe that a solution will ultimately be at hand. Th... if you can work around the problem, I'd be inclined to wait. On the other hand... can you still send the camera back for a full refund? If not, I wouldn't bother trying to return it under warranty.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I think the good news is they clearly admit it is a known issue. They're not saying "What problem?" That alone is reason to believe that a solution will ultimately be at hand. Th... if you can work around the problem, I'd be inclined to wait. On the other hand... can you still send the camera back for a full refund? If not, I wouldn't bother trying to return it under warranty.
I talked to the Pentax Support guys and they say the front focus is way too heavy to be just a firmware problem - so maybe I got "both" bugs here. I'll send the camera in for repair/fixing in the new year - no use to do it right now due to holidays and new years eve.

I am working with focus correction at the moment and can use some of my lenses right now when I am careful.

Last edited by thkn777; Dec 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:42 AM   #14

Thkn777, sorry to hear about your troubles, did the finally fixed it? How is it working now?
Please update us when you have the chance.
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:19 PM   #15

Default Same problem with K-5 and K-r

I had exactly the same problem with 2 K-r bodies and one K-5. I've tested 3 lenses (FA 31, FA 77, Tamron SP 70-200), so the problem is clearly in the body. It is interesting that AF of my old ist* DL is perfect with all lenses under any light! Here are some tests with FA 77 and Tamron SP 70-200 on K-r and ist* DL.

https://picasaweb.google.com/denis.osin/AFTests#

The line "11 points SUFOX..." is supposed to be in focus. Try to guess which camera is the newer and more expensive one . The results of both K-r bodies and K-5 were absolutely identical in these tests.

Another interesting thing is that the problem with K-5/K-r disappears at distances from 2-5 meters (depending on the lens) to infinity under daylight athough it is still noticeable up to 5 meters under tungsten. I've not tested AF at >5m under tungsten. So the AF adjustment does not help here. Let me stress again: the old ist* DL DOES NOT have ANY of these problems. So it would be really interesting to figure out how Pentax managed to cause these problems in the new cameras.

I'm afraid this issue is not fixable at all, so I'm thinking again about switching to Canon/Nikon... Anyway, please, let us know if Pentax manages to fix the problem.

Last edited by Denis_o; Jan 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM.
Denis_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:21 PM   #16

thanks for the info Denis. Personally i wish at this point that i could return my pentax k-r and lenses and switch to nikon. This FF is really getting annoying. Unfortunately i have $3,000 invested in pentax right now.

btw, if anyone wants to buy $3000 of brand new gear, i'll sell it for $2500... let me know...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:31 AM   #17

I've been with pentax for 20+ years and have also made quite a bit of investment. This is the only thing which prevents me from switching immediately.

By the way, here are two similar discussions:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-light-21.html

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/to...-----24836/p-3
My understanding is that pentax does know about the problems with FF in dim/tungsten light and at close distance. Hopefully they will fix it via a firmware update soon. I'll try to talk to pentax support tomorrow.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:59 PM   #18

Default Chat with Pentax chat support

Just spend about 30 min talking to a pentax representative. The result is the expected one. They seem to know about the problem but do not admit it at this time. An there is no way to get any definite information now. Here is the chat.

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Paul C.

Paul C: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?

Denis Osin: Hi Paul

Paul C: Hi

Denis Osin: I've ordered a new K-r 3 weeks ago. Soon after it arrived I noticed a problem with AF in dim light. After some investigation I found the following. The camera was front focusing in all tests at EV < 5. The problem largely disappears at EV=5, but occasionally may be noticeable up to EV 7-8, especially at close distance. The later observation has nothing to do with shallow DOF at close distance. I run a special test with FA 77 wide open (f/1.8)

Denis Osin: and found a visible FF at distance ~1.5 m (EV=6), which disappears at infinity (same EV=6).

Denis Osin: I sent the camera back and ordered another one. Same results. I then spoke to your representative and you recommended to return the second camera as well. I did and ordered a k-5. Same problem. The results of all 3 bodies were nearly identical in all tests with all lenses tested.

Denis Osin: After googling "Pentax K-5 AF problem" I found that the problem is rather common and it looks like the majority (if not all) of K-5 and K-r cameras suffer from it. On the other hand, in the same tests my old ist* DL performs very well, its AF is slow but precise! So it is clear that SAFOX IX was born defective. As far as I understand, Pentax is aware of this problem. So the questions are:

Denis Osin: Is the problem about hardware or software? Does Pentax work on it? Does it make sense to send the camera to you or should we just wait for a firmware update?

Denis Osin: Any information as well as an official acknowledgement of the problem from Pentax would be fair to customers. After spending thousands of dollars on pentax (I've been with pentax since 1991) we at least deserve to know what to expect. I love K-5 as well as K-r, but the FF issue is really annoying.

Paul C: I have talked to a few customers theat seem to have issues like what you have mentioned , If the problems were as wide spread as the web would suggest then I am sure that Pentax Japan would be aware of it , as it stands there hasn't been any notices of this from pentax

Paul C: when cameras com in to the repair facility the issues are logged and if there is a spike in a particular issue pentax knows about it

Denis Osin: The problem was reported to Pentax by a camera store owner in Spain, who tested 100 cameras (K-5). All defective. So they do know about it.

Paul C: they would most likely be looking into that i would think

Denis Osin: Do I understand correctly that Pentax is not working on the issue?

Denis Osin: If you do not know, is there any way to get an answer?

Paul C: wrong ... pentax japan doesnt report to pentax US .. it is verry possible that they are looking in to the issue .. we just can't say for sure

Denis Osin: OK.

Denis Osin: So how can we get an answer? Pentax Japan does not seem to have live support.

Paul C: pentax Japan would be the only source .. and they wouldn't confirm until they were sure

Paul C: if its a firmware issue, the they are pretty good at issuing updates

Denis Osin: So what would you recommend? Should I send an e-mail to Pentax JP?

Paul C: that would be up to you sir , usually , once pentax japan confirms an issue they work on a fix , then pass the info on to the other countries

Denis Osin: I really want to get some info before it is too late to return my k-5.

Denis Osin: Does Pentax JP has any e-mail I can write to?

Denis Osin: Or is there any other way to contact them?

Paul C: most likely by mail .. hold for a moment , I'll check for you

Denis Osin: Thanks

Paul C: thanks for holding , I was checking out the Pentax japan site .. her is an address that I found :
Paul C: HOYA Corp. PENTAX Products
3F Helios II BLDG. 1-12-11, Funado, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo 174-0041

* 81-3-3960-5140
* FAX: 81-3-3960-5147
Paul C: here is the web page :
http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/inquiry/index.html#digital

Denis Osin: OK, but is there any way to contact them via e-mail?

Paul C: not that I can find, it would probably be japnese only if there was one

Denis Osin: From what you said it seems that the only way to get a definite answer is via snail mail.

Paul C: our website here in the US will publish any official word from Pentax japan when we get it

Denis Osin: OK, but the question is wery simple: does Pentax work on the issue? And you do not know. So is there any way to get an answer in reasonable time?

Paul C: I would have no way to know

Denis Osin: Ok, this is fair. Thank you.

Paul C: Thanks denis , sorry we couldn't give the answers that you need.
Old May 23, 2011, 1:44 PM   #19

Hello to all,
digging out an old post to give an update. I finally did bite the bullet and sent in my K-r for calibration. I really tried everything and every lens, used the latest firmware and so on... same story over and over again: frontfocus all over the place.

To cut a long story short, the camera is back and I am like 80% satisfied. I still think there is some front focus, but the camera behaviour is very close to my *ist DL in terms of "correct focus" and I know, that there is no point in bringing up that old problem to Pentax with a 2nd body.

I am still playing around (no real photo "job" to say so ) and thought I'll post some test shots for you. These were taken with a M-85/2 lens, mostly in A-mode (thus we talk about f/2 "wide open" shots).

Images are straight from the camera, just resized, no sharpening and stuff.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2011, 1:53 PM   #20

And the second bunch. I know... not really photos to post here, but it's more the technical aspects.

Personally I am somewhat relieved, that it worked out that way. I missed it a lot to be able to take photos like these with the K-r.

These images were taken with the focus correction set to OFF. My other lenses show similar results so far.

Result: if you got frontfocus issues and can live without your camera for a while: send it in for calibration. I talked a lot with the company, that repairs Pentax systems in Germany and copied all the emails, my test shots and stuff and think it was worth it. Especially being able to show the comparison K-r vs. DL2 with the same lens was a strong argument.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images