Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Les, this is the way I am thinking now, perhaps a KX.... It also gives me an excellent HD video camera (for me 720p is fine).
How important is the video (or more specifically, the audio)?

I'm not much of a video shooter. But, I have noticed that you'd have a mono only mic with the K-x, with no provisions for an external Mic. You'd also need to use Manual Focus after the video starts recording with a K-x from what I understand about how it works (although you can prefocus with AF before the recording starts).

So, if video with good audio is more important, then one of the P&S models wiith stereo audio may be worth looking into. Of course, then you'd lose DOF control due to the smaller sensor, and you wouldn't have great high ISO speed performance either.

As already discussed, the NEX-5 would be another option (lenses designed for quiet Contrast detect AF with continuous AF while recording, built in Stereo Mic with the ability to use an even better optional stereo mic that mounts where the included flash would fit, too). But, choices for NEX lenses are limited (only 3 so far).

Pros and Cons. ;-)

P.S.

IRT the NEX-5, I have seen some users report it overheating with shooting multiple long clips (camera detects it, gives you an overheating warning, and stops recording until you let it cool off). But, I haven't personally seen that behavior.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:36 AM   #12

Jim I must admit that the Sony NEX cameras are still on my list. These cameras would make an ideal companion to my Pentax system since I could purchase the camera with one lens (possibly the 16mm) and get a Camera Quest adapter for K-Mount lenses so I could ëxperiment"with different techniques. A Nex with 16mm is not much larger that a p&s (and considerably smaller than my Fuji S7000). I think then I would get the DA L 35mm lens for my K10D, remove the battery grip and have a large (K10 with grip and zoom) medium (K10 sans grip with 35mm) and small (NEX with 16mm).

I realize that a KX has many advantages but a NEX is something different to play with. Perhaps I can manage to scrape together enough for that camera after all.

Meanwhile this thread is still open for any comments on your small cameras.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:39 AM   #13

BTW the NEX is often sited for its awkward interface, more like a p&s than a dSLR. Since I have no intention to replace my dSLR this is not an issue, I just want good image quality from a capable p&s and this definitely ranks as a very capable p&s with the added bonus of it having a better than average video capability.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses