Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:28 PM   #1

Default Minor excitment (for me anyway)

I got a mail through flickr today someone wants a copy (assuming print) of one of my photos from a dog sledging event i went to last winter

the picture is of her husband and 3 of their dogs

Of cource i am smiling from ear to ear right now but i have no idea what it even costs me to print a picture out - i just do such thigns for myself and try not to think about how much ink my printer eats - then there is mount card etc - then there is how much is a picture worth?

so any idea what i should ask for without either costing me money or over charging with pretensions of being a pro photographer

the picture is good to about A3 but because of the crop involved not any further - again not sure about the size wanted so say prices for a4 and a3 would give me a base to work from if they request some other size
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:22 PM   #2

Hey JP,
Congratulations! Its always nice when someone wants one of your Photos.
I've sold a few of mine, 8X10's and framed them with used but, nice looking frames that I got for a couple dollars. I sold them for $20 and felt comfortable with that price.
I don't know if that helps any.
BTW, I browsed your flicker site, You have some really awesome photos there!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:23 PM   #3

Congratulations. It does feel great doesn't it? I had someone about a year ago see my photos in a local library and e-mailed me about buying three of them. I was in the same boat about pricing, sizing, etc.

She never did buy the prints from me and I'm not sure if it was because I outpriced myself or what. I quoted her prices of the following:

8 x 10 print with 11 x 14 mat - $47.00
8 x 10 print with 12 x 14 mat, framed - $67.00

11 x 14 print with 16 x 20 mat - $60.00
11 x 14 print with 15 x 18 mat, framed - $92.00

All prints are done with panchromatic resin-coated paper and printed with silver-based emulsion for 100 year archival quality images. For the framed prints, you can chooose from clear glass or non-glare glass.

I was going to use MPixPro to have the images printed professionally and sent to me then deliver them to her. From checking with some people in our local camera club, my prices were low. So, I'd hate to think it was because I overpriced them. Maybe she just decided she didn't want to pay that price for three of them. The three were a series is why she wanted them all.

Anyway, that gives you a starting point. Maybe call a local camera club where you are and see what prices go for your area. Or, does she just want a 4 x 6?

The camera club people suggested figuring out what it would cost to have printed/matted/framed and then double that. The doubling was to pay for your time and the profit you want to make. I think my prices were 25% more than the cost.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:32 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Congratulations...it is definitely a good feeling when someone actually thinks enough of your images that they want to pay you for it!!

I recently charged $20 for an 8" x 10" (unframed) recently for an image of an aircraft that someone wanted to purchase for personal use. He was happy with the price and I got some pocket money out of it.

I had an inquiry from a flight operations company that was interested in another of my aviation images to use as a backdrop for a trade show as well as for use on their website. I quoted them $500 for an unlimited usage license of an high resolution image (300 dpi at 8" x 10") and $50 for a low resolution image for use ont their website...have not heard back from them as yet. I did some research on the web and my pricing is very reasonable compared to that quoted by stock image distributors.

I find that asking people to offer what it is worth to them sometimes can result in a surprisingly generous offer as well!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Well major excitement now - I have SOLD my first photo!!!!!

still not sure if i'm under charging or not but i said 20 for A3 and mount - should cover the expendables and excitment factor of selling a photo (dreams of going pro now) covers the rest =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:35 PM   #6

Congratulations - that's great! For what it's worth - I try to keep things simple and sell prints or digital files - not mountings or frames. If someone is going to frame a photo and put it on the wall I think you need their input on matting and framing to do a good job. That's more hassle than it's worth. Again, congratulations on the sale!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:46 PM   #7

Congratulations John - it must feel great !

I was asked by a pro to shoot with him at the HSBC golf event in Shanghai earlier this month, I had another commitment as I mentioned, but it was exciting to think I could have submitted shots to possibly be used by the sponsors, websites and magazines.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:55 PM   #8

Congratulations!!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:53 PM   #9

Congrat's, John...!

How exciting that must feel...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:22 PM   #10

Wonderful news! How exciting, selling your first photo.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote