Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:11 PM   #1

Default K-5 Bandwagon

Well i'm jumping on it - the latest firmware update smashes my last niggle i had with the camera

3 seconds of continous shooting at 7fps - NICE!!! - combined with its amazing dynamic range - high iso capability - lower iso limit and of course hugely improved autofocus its just too good a package to say no too.

will possibly sell my k7 - if it doesn't look like i'll get a reasonable amount for it then will keep it as a backup and pretend i'm a pro =)

so k5 combined with the da* 16-50mm (really want a weather sealed normal lens with fast aperture) i can get a rebate of 120 plus the VAT tax increase in january means i'll save a further 30 so may aswell get it now rather than wait till setember next year which is when i would likely be able to get it for that price again

so hopefully tomorrow or early next week will be joining the k5 bandwagon but from then on photographic purchases are off for several years (possible exception of a studio flash kit if i want to take up portrait/fashion photography... always gotta leave yourself an out!!! )
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:36 PM   #2

I'm starting to feel really depressed.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:30 PM   #3

Have it now for a day, and can already say that it's a great upgrade.

For me it's a combination of the k-7 and k-5 upgrade because I didn't have the k-7, and now I understand why everybody likes the k-7.

Just installed the new firmware, no problems haven't shot that many pictures in a series yet but 1 day (where I did have to work) isn't enough to try everything out.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I'm starting to feel really depressed.
Me too.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:16 PM   #5

I'm with you, GW. It's going to be after the new year before I can even think about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:35 PM   #6

yeah i would have waited until after the new year but the 120 rebate and with the tax hike coming it kinda forces my hand

and with the k5 being the camera it is, i dont see its price falling soon so would probably be quite a while before i could get it at a similar price in 2011
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:44 PM   #7

My photography budget for this year is $1000 MAX so the K5 is not on my radar at all (even the K-R is barely registering). For me a K-X and possibly a DA L 35mm lens are about my limit.

I don't NEED a new camera but (we have heard the line from Dream Car Garage here before) I want one. The K5 tops my wish list (in the unobtainable category unfortunately). I am also still considering one of those EVIL new cameras (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) since it would be something new and different. I still have some Minolta Maxxum gear (35-70mm f4, 50mm f1.7 and the big beer can 70-200 f4 with crossed xx) so a SONY dSLR body could fit in my plans as well except the full frame models are too expensive and I want to hear more about the translucent mirror models (a55 and a33) before stepping forward.

I think my point is that anything new now would have to offer me something different, not just "more" and "better" but different. The K-X would offer higher ISO ("more") but also HD video (different). I already have rugged covered with the K10D. A compact interchangeable lens camera like a SONY NEX would be different (and many lens adapters mean my stock of old MF Minolta, Yashica, and Pentax lenses are available for "experimentation"), and the SONY translucent mirror models offer a better video solution which would supplement (definitely not replace) my Pentax gear.

I was a two system guy in the film era, I used a Pentax K1000 and ME Super for all of my "serious" photography and had a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a Maxxum 5000 for Annette and I to document our family, and shoot the occasional wedding where the AF and dedicated flash made things easier. As a result I have no problem with having two systems in the digital era. If I could afford a K5 this would be a moot point because the Minolta lenses would stay in the closet.

Oops, storm day, too much time on my hands so I got a little of track.

Have fun with the K5 John, it should serve you well.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:21 PM   #8

Well it would certainly solve a number of limitations I am having with my K20, in terms of better evening or night photography. However, I really do not feel that I want to spend $1,500 for a body. With two sons in college and the economy the way it is, this is a luxury that is going to have to wait.

If Pentax keeps up this string of successful camera bodies, that will be excellent. I can certainly lag technology a bit and pickup "last years" model - when the need arises. Staying current with the newest body, is not really an option for most folks - it certainly would be nice.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Well it would certainly solve a number of limitations I am having with my K20, in terms of better evening or night photography. However, I really do not feel that I want to spend $1,500 for a body. With two sons in college and the economy the way it is, this is a luxury that is going to have to wait.
Shucks man, all ya gotta do is kick the kids outa school.
with that much extra cash on hand, you could by both of us a K5 along with a couple of good WR lenses ta boot!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:24 PM   #10

I'd love to have a K5.

I'd also love to have a Canon 5D Mk. 11 with 17-40mm L lens and 400 F 5.6 L lens.

I do plan to get a K5 or K...in the future, but only when and if, my Pentax K10D finally bites the dust....in a way so big that it is not economically worthwhile to fix.

I know the K5 is more technologically up to date, has much better ISO, faster AF...the list goes on.

But I find that my K10D still takes great pictures and I have a nagging doubt that I still have not anywhere near...explored all the bells and whistles that this camera has to offer.

I've had the K10D (bought new) for three years now....out with me...almost on a daily basis, thousands of shutter actuation's....touch wood, it has never failed me.

Same thing with my KM....that I bought new 18 months ago.

But, I do envy all those who will have a K5. I love buying new camera equipment, particularly at the level of quality of the K5.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote