Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:56 PM   #11

Great as always, like GW really like those rainbow shot's especially those with the reflections.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:18 PM   #12

Looks like it's going to work well for you. I'm not familiar with this particular Gitzo, I don't think it was being made when I was shopping for one. I was a bit surprised that you said it took longer than the Manfrotto - I've found my Gitzo pretty quick. But I think Gitzo has changed their twist leg locks at some point. One I looked at had leg sections that could come apart, while mine don't. So to set up takes 3 quick twists - one for each leg - to unlock, then extend the legs and twist lock each section before spreading the legs out. The fact I loosen all the twist locks on a leg at once (something you can't do with flip locks) makes it really quick to set up.

Enjoy your new tripod - a good tripod is always a pleasure to use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #13

Congratulations on your acquisition Mole ! I bought a new tripod recently and it makes the world of difference - so I actually take it with me now.

All the shots seem very sharp so it's definitely doing it's job. I particularly liked the dusk shots.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:12 PM   #14

GW - Thanks so much! I also have a very old Bogan/Manfrotto 3011 for the big lens, but it's too big & heavy for use out on the trail.

Ronny - Thanks! I had been out running my dogs about 2 weeks ago and saw almost the same scene (but no camera with me), so was very glad for a chance to catch the "repeat performance!"

Harriet - This tripod was purchased used from KEH. It is definitely one of their older ones (has the "guaranteed for life plus reincarnations" sticker on it, and has a "slow release" screw, no quick release). The legs are easy to set up, but attaching camera to head takes a bit of time. Well worth it for a far more stable 'pod...

Kevin - Thanks - glad you liked them!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:50 PM   #15

One thing you can do is get a quick release plate and bracket of some sort for the camera. I got the Really Right Stuff plate and L-Bracket (can't recommend them enough, they are wonderful, beautifully engineered and made), but there are others you can get. That way you have the benefit of the quick release without having to replace the tripod or head (does it have a head on it?).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:41 AM   #16

Harriet - Thanks for the suggestions - looks like some great and useful equipment. But it would be hard for me to justify spending more on a plate than I spent on the entire tripod & head! I'm usually not in a hurry when using the tripod, so will stick to the slow (and cheap) method for now...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:07 AM   #17

ooooooooooooooooooohhh. so pretty! my favorites are the second barn (it's just a hint brighter than the first one, and i like that.) was the trash... a mountain dew bottle? something bright green, anyway. i wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out, but now i like the second, litter-free one, better : ) i love that you can see right through the kiner creek falls. they look very ephemeral. i like the trees, the changing background makes me laugh, because it makes me think of an assignment i had in a watercolor class to create different backgrounds for a tree
the rainbow is so pretty! i like them all, but especially the second one. i think i like the fact that even without the rainbow, that would have been a good composition. i don't know why that makes me like it, but it does
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:59 AM   #18

Very nice images mole, Haven't used my tripod in years, Now I know I will have to drag it out and start using it again.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:14 PM   #19

Vole - Thanks for your very kind words and specific input. Yes it was a Mt Dew bottle (has now been recycled)...

Hnekisch - So glad you enjoyed these. Will look forward to seeing your images with tripod!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:03 AM   #20

Lovely, as usual. Enjoy the tripod. I don't use mine nearly as much as I should. It's heavy and bulky, but sure makes a difference when I do use it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote